1 2 3 ... 6
Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
12/28/18 3:21 p.m.

I see things at the Junkyard. 

I sometimes post it to my various IG accounts, (at Vintage Daily DriverEl O'el Cooter, and Cooter's First Gen Farm) but probably should share some of it here. 

Like today, for example. I went to get a the wiper cowl off of a 78 Dodge 

Can't say that I expected this, however...

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
12/28/18 3:40 p.m.

Well that’s neet.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/18 3:42 p.m.

nice...  Seems all I ever see anymore is hacked up....  Everything.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
12/28/18 3:48 p.m.

Nice! A turbocharged leaning tower of power.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/18 3:59 p.m.

That's cool. I'd be tempted to pull the whole system just cause. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
12/28/18 6:43 p.m.

I was tempted.   But I already sent out my box for the New Year Game.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/28/18 9:07 p.m.

Seems all I ever see anymore is hacked up....  Everything

I think this build still qualifies! 

What a crazy thing to run into.  I have been known to slam together some half ass E36 M3 in my day but I think i would feel a little icky cribbing this setup. Since I have no stake in it I still think it's pretty cool that someone else did it. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
12/29/18 5:31 a.m.
Vigo said:

Seems all I ever see anymore is hacked up....  Everything

I think this build still qualifies! 

What a crazy thing to run into.  I have been known to slam together some half ass E36 M3 in my day but I think i would feel a little icky cribbing this setup. Since I have no stake in it I still think it's pretty cool that someone else did it. 

You're not wrong!  Not shown is the hacked open underside of the airbox where it just rests on the outlet tubing and the turbo itself.  

I had noticed the Holley 2300 first, and then the "hat", but didn't see the turbo hidden under the airbox until after I finished removing the cowl grille, and noticed a bunch of extra exhaust tubing.  There was a lot of work to put on that JY turbo as cheap as possible...

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/29/18 8:01 a.m.

That’s a similar setup to what I had on my 78 silver series back in the mid nineties, there was a commercially available kit that my dad and I put together; it was a ton of fun till I popped a piston. With a 3spd +od it wasn’t fast haha 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
12/29/18 8:30 a.m.

This one is an automatic.   I can't imagine it being as fast as yours.  There is a lot of crimped tubing and a still marked JY turbo going on there.  I might pull the manifold and carb if I get ambitious.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/18 9:02 a.m.
Cooter said:

I was tempted.   But I already sent out my box for the New Year Game.

That post made my day!  laugh

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/29/18 9:09 a.m.

Bet that was fun to stop with manual brakes.... surprise

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
12/29/18 10:23 a.m.
  There was a lot of work to put on that JY turbo as cheap as possible...

This is what people think when they look at my junk yard turbo builds. I wonder how this set up worked. I hope someone was able to have fun with it before it ended up in the yard.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
12/29/18 5:13 p.m.

I wonder why it blew up...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/18 5:30 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

Manual brakes... obviously it was way too fast for safety, so they junked it for the public good.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
12/29/18 6:04 p.m.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/29/18 8:26 p.m.

Is that a T-Bird Turbocoupe Turbo?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/18 9:18 p.m.

Is that carb hat homemade as well?

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/17/19 5:53 p.m.

The destruction of my spine has put a crimp, so to speak, in my JY trips. 

Finally made it out today to a couple yards in city.  

First yard seemed like it was going to be a bust, but about 3/4 of the way through, I spot something. 

It's a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere I Quad Cab, with a mighty Slant Six. 

It's complete, but pretty rough.  The grille, taillights, and most of the trim were too damaged to bother with.  

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/17/19 6:09 p.m.

Decide to check out the interior. It has a nice dash pad, and the cluster is decent, as well.

Check out that steering wheel. 

Better yet, how about this "Radio Delete"?

Door panels are decent...

On to the cluster. This is a serious PITA to get out. Only 6 screws, but you then have to tip it out at the top, and it has to tip exactly right so that you can access all the wires and cables that are now holding it in.  I decided to drop the steering column, sice it was an automatic.

Then I notice something. 

Yup.  That's a Police Certified speedometer I'm taking out of a 6 cylinder car. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/17/19 6:32 p.m.

So, after I get the cluster out, I figure I should take a closer look under the hood. 

This may not look like anything, but if you look down along the dipstick tube to the trans, you can see that the transmission has a bumpout at the front passenger side.  This is a pretty darn uncommon 727 transmission for a Slant Six

Further inspection reveals a single reservoir master cylinder for the manual brakes. That should mean this is a '66...

And something I have forgotten to look for.  A manual steering box. I don't even know what I would need this for, but I may snag it anyway.  I haven't seen one in the wild in over a decade. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/19 6:37 p.m.

Looks like it used to have a CB, too!

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/17/19 6:40 p.m.

Last city sticker was just over 10 years ago.. 

Gas cap "tether"

Certicard holder. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
1/17/19 6:53 p.m.

Going through my head while looking at the images, "...It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas."

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
1/17/19 9:31 p.m.

Except you aren't outrunning any Illinois Nazis in a Pinto  wagon with this thing.

I'll add more from the rest of this JY, and some of what I found at the next tomorrow if I am able.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YFreomOw1wBOymOPubM6PN4lqL0UMTJ5ObgQhiZ3ZLBp2USestyaLXzH3L4JeRgV