1 2 3 4 5 6
Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/7/19 6:35 p.m.

Wide Body Mercedes. Stillborn. 

I have to admit, I was impressed. 

Until I worked my way towards the back...

That Cardboard Composite really didn't work out all that well...

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/7/19 6:44 p.m.

I don't see Saabs in the JY much anymore, especially 2 doors...

Always nice to see a whimsy on something as stolid as a Saab. 

Especially those door panels. I was going to do something similar with my '68 Valiant DD about a decade ago. Still want to do it to one of my Vintage Daily Drivers. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/19 6:58 p.m.

I'm loving those door panels. I might steal that. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/7/19 7:02 p.m.

Then I spotted this in the back row. 

1980 Mirada powered by a Slant Six. 

This car was CLEAN.  It was Zeibarted when new and most of the damage was done by the end loader when it was brought in the yard. 

I would have loved to have bought this for a cruiser, but never saw it hit CL or FB Marketplace. Probably didn't want to pay the $5 fee..

Sold new in my hometown. I still remember the "White Hat Boys at Oak Lawn Dodge"

And I wouldn't be surprised if this is why they gave up on it. $20 ignition box.  I've been seeing the potting melting out a lot of these lately. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/7/19 7:40 p.m.

Then, as I'm walking out, I see THIS-

I was honestly shocked. 

Absolutely anything that could be removed from the exterior was. 

And someone hammered in all the faces of the dials. 

But it was remarkably complete mechanically. 

Still can't believe I saw it in a U-Pull-It

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/7/19 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

The rear suspension hub carriers and all 4 (rebuildable) Konis are worth grabbing, and maybe the radiator. Probably has rust in the main chassis tubes and some of the control arms. 500 miles away from me, but if it was local I would, there are quite a few TVRs around here with an active club.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/19 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

That TVR would end up complete at my house even if I had to take it out piece by piece. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 8:41 p.m.

Thread is not good for my occasional bout of Saab want.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 8:53 p.m.
Knurled. said:

My friend is selling my old Saab...

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/7/19 9:03 p.m.
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 9:11 p.m.
EvanB said:
Knurled. said:

Well, you didn't say "my ex-friend is selling the Saab I sold him" so I assume the car is still okay,,,

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/8/19 5:07 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Cooter :

That TVR would end up complete at my house even if I had to take it out piece by piece. 

It would be cheaper to buy a complete TVR

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/8/19 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

Our father in heaven, J C Whitney.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/8/19 7:56 p.m.
EvanB said:
Knurled. said:

There is a Saab shop/lot in town that always makes me look to see what they have floating around.

https://www.autoshopsaab.com/mobile/mdefault.aspx

The street view behind the shop has some fun cars.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/12/19 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Oh. My. God.

I'm a bit stunned at the moment.  Many thoughts going thru my mind.  They are organized something like this:

1. Holy crap, that thing has intact fender liners and a complete heater box.  I need both of those things.

2. That car is worth saving.  What would it cost to get the whole thing from the junkyard?

3. Yes, Stampie, you should save it.  They are cool cars and deserve to be preserved.

4. Maybe I should try to save it?  Where would I put it?  Why wouldn't I want two TVR M's?  One street car and one track car?

5.  There's that old German guy Heinrich who came by last summer and I showed him my TVR.  He was wanting one.  He should save it.

6.  The glass would be expensive.  A lot of people do a lexan rear window to save money and lighten things up.

7. I wonder if the frame is rusty?

8.  If anyone does buy it as a project, I can give you lots of info.

9. Holy crap, that thing has intact fender liners and a complete heater box.  I need both of those things.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/12/19 7:07 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

In reply to Cooter :

Oh. My. God.

I'm a bit stunned at the moment.  Many thoughts going thru my mind.  They are organized something like this:

1. Holy crap, that thing has intact fender liners and a complete heater box.  I need both of those things.

2. That car is worth saving.  What would it cost to get the whole thing from the junkyard?

3. Yes, Stampie, you should save it.  They are cool cars and deserve to be preserved.

4. Maybe I should try to save it?  Where would I put it?  Why wouldn't I want two TVR M's?  One street car and one track car?

5.  There's that old German guy Heinrich who came by last summer and I showed him my TVR.  He was wanting one.  He should save it.

6.  The glass would be expensive.  A lot of people do a lexan rear window to save money and lighten things up.

7. I wonder if the frame is rusty?

8.  If anyone does buy it as a project, I can give you lots of info.

9. Holy crap, that thing has intact fender liners and a complete heater box.  I need both of those things.

This car is in a U-Pull-It yard.  Cars don't leave from these sorts of yard.  The best you can hope for is to save what parts can be used before it gets crushed.  

I can try to pull the fender liners and heater box if you want them.

TVR Scott
6/12/19 7:20 a.m.

If that's the case, then yes I want the fender liners and the heater box.

FYI, if it has a TR6 OD transmission it's worth a grand as a builder.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
6/12/19 7:53 a.m.
Cooter said:

This car is in a U-Pull-It yards.  Cars don't leave from these sorts of yard.  The best you can hope for is to save what parts can be used before it gets crushed.  

It is possible to buy an entire car from that yard. You just have to ask them. They’ll come up with a price. You should also be able to get them to isolate it for you until you can haul it away. Money talks.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/12/19 8:05 a.m.
Sparkydog said:
Cooter said:

This car is in a U-Pull-It yards.  Cars don't leave from these sorts of yard.  The best you can hope for is to save what parts can be used before it gets crushed.  

It is possible to buy an entire car from that yard. You just have to ask them. They’ll come up with a price. You should also be able to get them to isolate it for you until you can haul it away. Money talks.

Do you know this specific yard?

06HHR
06HHR Dork
6/12/19 8:21 a.m.
Cooter said:
Sparkydog said:
Cooter said:

In my experience, once they go behind the fence at a u-pull-it yard (my local one is a pick-n-pull) they won't sell you the entire car.  By then they've submitted a certificate of destruction for the title and they don't want the hassle of somebody trying to put the car back on the road.  They will sell you any piece you want other than a catalytic converter (they recycle those themselves) and may even pull it for you for a "small" fee.

I've missed out on a lot of cars that I would have bought complete if they were offered for sale before going behind the fence.  At one time i made a weekly trip just to see what they were getting in.  

TVR Scott
6/12/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Ok, let's take this thought experiment a bit further.  Say I asked how much for the frame with the suspension connected?  No diff, no engine, no trans.

And then let's say I asked how much for the body?  No seats, no interior parts.

Would they sell me those things?

Because my mind is buzzing with the possibility of a TVR track car now...

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
6/12/19 9:24 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Bet that was fun to stop with manual brakes.... surprise

One of the first cars I drove as a teen was a '64 Buick Wildcat with manual brakes.  I used two feet on the brake pedal.  Can't imagine how my mom got it to stop.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/14/19 7:46 a.m.
06HHR said:
Cooter said:
Sparkydog said:
Cooter said:

In my experience, once they go behind the fence at a u-pull-it yard (my local one is a pick-n-pull) they won't sell you the entire car.  By then they've submitted a certificate of destruction for the title and they don't want the hassle of somebody trying to put the car back on the road.  They will sell you any piece you want other than a catalytic converter (they recycle those themselves) and may even pull it for you for a "small" fee.

I've missed out on a lot of cars that I would have bought complete if they were offered for sale before going behind the fence.  At one time i made a weekly trip just to see what they were getting in.  

This in a nutshell.

Illinois has one of the strictest title processes in the country.  Once a vehicle has a junk title, it is done. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/14/19 8:02 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

In reply to Cooter :

Ok, let's take this thought experiment a bit further.  Say I asked how much for the frame with the suspension connected?  No diff, no engine, no trans.

And then let's say I asked how much for the body?  No seats, no interior parts.

Would they sell me those things?

Because my mind is buzzing with the possibility of a TVR track car now...

Probably best to take this off channel to get this sorted out.  Too much time between replies/new ideas. Cars are regularly crushed at this sort of yard without regard to anything other than when they went in.   When it is time for this row to go, everything in the row goes.

I will tell you that they have set prices for every part of a vehicle, no matter what vehicle it came off of.   But if you buy the complete chassis, you will likely be paying for every single part that is attached to that chassis.   Sometimes you can schmooze a bit of a deal when buying in bulk.  Oftentimes not. And they don't disassemble anything.  Or load anything.  Or ship anything.  It is self serve, and cash and carry.   They just drain the fluids, place the vehicles on stands and take your money. Then crush the vehicles when they have been there a certain amount of time.

Send me a message with a number to text if you are truly interested in me doing the leg work on any of this at my email for Instagram- VintageDailyDriver AT gmale d0t c0m   Remove the spaces and correct the spelling errors and let's set up a (I do this because I hate spam, and a forum is about the worst place to put any personal info) 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/14/19 8:13 a.m.

Early prelude from a month or so ago

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gIt058VgouhD4ZfuQ1KAQA6OLePMMdTyC3B0Q0TM8p3EGYHnDqweQ0sJB1zbcaaq