JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/14/18 10:04 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

In my last column, I gave you a list of things you could do when you finally crawl out of your parents’ basement and stop ranting on social media. Many of them involved using your hands …

Read the rest of the story

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
6/14/18 11:27 a.m.

If they are aspiration figures then you are still cool.

parker
parker Reader
6/14/18 11:42 a.m.

"Started a job with little idea how to finish it" pretty much sums up my life history.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/18 11:48 a.m.

I've been involved in creating tv shows...I think you're doing great- keep up the good work. 

JG Pasterjak
6/14/18 2:01 p.m.

Kind of interesting reading this year-old column and seeing how the actual show has evolved since then. I think we're sticking pretty close to this ethos while bringing enough polish to it that it's not painful to watch. 

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
6/14/18 11:58 p.m.

J.G., the shows are fun.  (I left you a comment on YT about how the last two archived ones have unsync'ed sound.)  And I was stunned to see how well the burn-it-out method works.

But you're barely better than a large proportion of the 'Hey, Watch This! I Gotta Garage and a Video Camera' shows in one area.  Safety.  Where I worked, if you were torching ANYTHING in shorts and open toed shoes (lead photo for this story) you might get away without being fired the first time, once only.  And holding the part you're torching with nylon and pleather work gloves?  Same.  Please try to at least set a non-moronic example for safety issues.

te72
te72 Reader
6/15/18 1:20 a.m.

In reply to PT_SHO :

I enjoy the shows when I catch them, often months later, on youtube.

I agree with the sentiment above though. I know Florida is hot guys, I do. I'm practically a wookie, long hair, full beard, with the hairy arms and legs to match. However, any time fire is involved, I bust out the welding gloves, jacket, steel toed boots (you'd be surprised how efficiently slag can burn through or find its way into looser shoes...), and the welding helmet. A fire extinguisher is located within quick reach, as well as other precautions. Allow me to drive the point home: a job-well-done beer is a lot better from the comfort of your favorite porch chair than from a hospital waiting room.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
6/15/18 7:34 a.m.

From the title and the picture, I thought this was going to be a safety article, and judging by some comments, others thought the same! Seriously though, I'm not one to bash for safety because I only do things out of learning the hard way. "Sunburn" from welding excessively wearing shorts and short sleeves when even jeans and coveralls get burned thru quickly with molten hot magma, and repeatedly smashing my feet from wearing flip flops doing major work in the garage. So I'm not judging, just surprised you guys haven't been forced into more safety too.

Anyways, what I really wanted to say is that I love the rough format. It feels like we are all hanging out in the garage working together, reminding me of the all night garage sessions with friends when I could go to work with no sleep and somehow do a satisfactory job. Something I don't get much of anymore since we all have families and somewhat more professional jobs that oddly expect something for their salary. So keep up the great work and don't change a thing! Except maybe put on some jeans and boots, we don't want y'all out of commission and not making great videos and articles!  

Also loved the "why are you doing this?" comment. I don't hear it much because most people I know are too nice, but I'm sure neighbors and friends think it often.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/15/18 8:08 a.m.

It has been fun watching the show evolve since the beginning. Along with adding a few bad jokes to the comment feed.  

Every now and then it can make me think, "maybe social media isn't all bad..."

JG Pasterjak
6/15/18 8:27 a.m.

If I'm doing something that isn't best safety practices, I feel l ike I at least mention that safety could be tighter. But, yeah, I seem to mention that a lot. I'm actually working on a shop safety show which will be as much for me as it is for you. 

parker
parker Reader
6/15/18 5:50 p.m.

At least give him some credit for wearing a gas mask... 

te72
te72 Reader
6/16/18 1:34 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

We just care about ya bud, that's all the motivation we need to give ya a hard time about being safe. =)

Stuntman Mike said it well, about the "hanging out in the garage" feel of the show. Most of my friends are entirely too busy with families and other interests and obligations to hang out anymore, so I can relate!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PkXOGV46MSTo9looM6dEPMg6huYc7R47KBUvJsT0OXOwdrYTFjJFJKl0UV2KtO9F