1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 10:28 a.m.

I'm looking at small trailers. 2 main uses. I imagine a maximum load of 1500 lbs. I'd rather spend a little more to have a good tool and not a toy that constantly needs my attention. 

1. utility trailer for home and yard projects

2. I need a good way to transport my VERY light and small challenge car from Chicago to FL and back. This means long haul highway speeds.

One strange restriction - I'd love to be able to store this between the side of my garage and my fence. It's not a super wide area but I think it will be enough. But I will probably have to manipulate the trailer back there by hand, parking it with a tow vehicle would be a tight fit and difficult to pull off. So I don't want a super-wide trailer, and I don't want a heavy one. Foldable would be cool. 

Here in IL I'm looking at needing a title and reg. About $100-150 per year it looks like. 

so - here are some options

Build my own? Buy the "big dawg" from HF? Find a cheap or free jetski/motorcycle/utility/snowmobile trailer used and modify to suit? Hit easy button and buy new (easiest to sell later)? Removable sides? Tie down points? Axle/wheel/tire recommendations? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 10:39 a.m.

Don't cheap out.  Buy new, not much holds value like a trailer.  You can drive to home depot and get a 2200# payload  ramp gate trailer for $1400 and if you have menards nearby you can use the home depot 11% rebate match site to get $154 back during an 11% menards week

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 10:51 a.m.

That's a really good call. I hadn't looked at HD, but I do really like that 'karavan' trailer. Thank you!

6/9/20 10:56 a.m.

Fwiw it's a menards 11% week and it looks like you have them around you.  The site is homedepotrebates11percent.com

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/9/20 11:20 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't cheap out.  Buy new, not much holds value like a trailer.  You can drive to home depot and get a 2200# payload  ramp gate trailer for $1400 and if you have menards nearby you can use the home depot 11% rebate match site to get $154 back during an 11% menards week

Good advice.  People don't sell trailers until they're used up, and then they're not much cheaper than new.  I would get a bigger trailer if possible.  You can haul smaller things on a bigger trailer.  Small trailers are harder to see, harder to back up, easier to jacknife, and generally less stable than longer trailers.

I went with a Harbor Freight utility trailer, then had to buy a 5x8, then finally said screw it and bought a 18' tandem axle car hauler.  I found a place to keep it whenever one of my car buddies isn't borrowing it....it's got untold thousands of miles on it and never a problem other than replacing tires.  Maintenance has been limited to pumping some grease in the bearings occasionally.  

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/9/20 11:38 a.m.

The problem with HF and other trailer is the 8" or 10" wheels which at highway speeds can be a problem for tires, bearings, etc. I'm sure many will disagree as there are a lot of boat, snowmobile, utility, etc. trailers that never have a problem. I think you would be happier with 14" or 15" automotive wheels and tires. The trailer hauling capability will be higher. I think it's better to be at the lower weight capacity of a trailer rather then toward max capacity. Check around the area you live in there are probably trailer builders. I agree buy new rather then refitting a used trailer.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/9/20 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Welding up a trailer is a weekend job if you're set up  You really won't save money, just build it the way that works best for you

. One recommendation, do not get bigger than you need.  once you have a trailer everybody and their cousin will want to borrow it. Don't!!!! Not even a good friend. Only lend it if you are willing to go along with it to keep them from making mistakes, hacking up your wiring, Towing too fast, not knowing how to back up, 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/9/20 12:09 p.m.

Was going to add that I have  a car trailer, utility trailer and a car dolly and use one of these to maneuver them around in tight places. Makes job much easier.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/9/20 12:12 p.m.

Got a friend in Montana ? Sell them the trailer, get permanent reg-o, and permanently,  temporarily borrow it. Like forever. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/9/20 12:12 p.m.

I am very pleased with my Karavan utility trailer from HD.  I looked at everything and these seemed the best: boxed frame, powder coat, all sides fold or are removable.   It has held up very well, seems like a quality piece.  Mine is a 5x10 but a 6x12 would probably work for your needs to fit the car barely. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 12:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Got a friend in Montana ? Sell them the trailer, get permanent reg-o, and permanently,  temporarily borrow it. Like forever. 

Does this friend need to have a Montana DL? Or just a Montana address? 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/9/20 1:21 p.m.

What's on CraigsList nearby? 

I bought this dump trailer for $750; add black paint, some bigger wheels and it's worth more.  This one requires a 2" ball so I assume it's rated for big loads but the metal tag is not legible.  If you can pair this up to a production unit I'd love to hear from you. 

The Registration says Homemade (NY is differenter ).

Edit:

2000# unit in Chicago.

Cute motorcycle trailer with a panhard bar - $425.

$950.

He wants to haul a car on it from IL to FL... and back.   Just saying.

6/9/20 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

"car" is loose.  more like oversize go-kart

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/9/20 2:47 p.m.

I'm going to suggest you go full baller and go buy a good trailer, whatever "good" means to you. Did we talk about what you're towing with yet? 

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/20 2:56 p.m.

How small?

Aluminum tilt on FB

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/9/20 3:03 p.m.

I bought a small custom built tilt trailer from a fellow competitor for $500, it weighs 800lbs and has a 12' deck. I use it for the exact things you would. The larger of my two race cars is 1600lbs and 12.5' long.  I noticed the HD trailers are around 950lbs. The one rates for 2000lbs would do the trick. I'd comb the small ads to find a used one in decent shape.

Edit: I'd totally go for that Aluma pictured above.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 3:05 p.m.

yeah, not really a normal size car. There are two other options than buying a trailer I guess.

#1, I can have stuff delivered from big box stores when necessary. For me, that's about once a year so far @ $60 each. I'd need to double that before the $118 annual reg fee is even worth it to own a trailer. I have a friend with a similar trailer I've borrowed before, I could very likely just start buying him more beer or offer to pay his annual reg fee or something. But at some point I hate imposing.

#2, I could bite the bullet and buy a pickup truck. If I get a full size something with an 8 foot bed, its not totally out of the question to put the challenge car on ramps in the bed. Or just rent any trailer at all. $200-300 would cover a week rental likely. The truck could replace one of our daily cars, so really it wouldn't be any more in registration and would be negligable on gas/insurance and maintenance/etc. 

I know that as soon as you own the trailer you find reasons to use it. But i've owned a trailer before and found it more of a hassle than anything. When I owned a truck before I used it all the time. I feel like I'm answering my own question here. 

6/9/20 3:07 p.m.

See the maine trailer registration thread.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/9/20 3:10 p.m.

Would the challenge car fit in a 6'x12' rectangle?  Because U-Haul will rent you an enclosed trailer that size for $30/day assuming you have a worthy tow vehicle.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 3:22 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Did we talk about what you're towing with yet? 

No, but the current tow vehicle is 2010 odyssey. rated for 3500 or 5000 or OMG you're going to blow the transmission and die! depending on where you look.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 3:25 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Would the challenge car fit in a 6'x12' rectangle?  Because U-Haul will rent you an enclosed trailer that size for $30/day assuming you have a worthy tow vehicle.

It will be darn close, close enough that I'm sure I can make a uhaul work if needed. width is no issue, but the body will be darn near 12 ft at its longest. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/9/20 4:34 p.m.

I'm in favor of the truck.  Just don't get a 4 door with an 8 foot bed. It gets too hard to park or you have to find a spot where two cars park.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/9/20 4:36 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

He wants to haul a car on it from IL to FL... and back.   Just saying.

Cost of trailer + gas + tolls + hotels(?) food; twice.

I paid $800 to ship a truck from Fla to NY.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/9/20 4:51 p.m.

Once you get ramps long enough and safe enough to load a car in a pickup bed where will you have room to store them. I've loaded a riding lawnmower in the back of a pickup a couple times and decided I was too scary unless I absolutely had to.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFRekoxnDnA4s9JeaQDWf2gteiMzMc9do4fu8pR9BQEPjVQpvVy2oo2pjfYYbNNv