1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/14/17 10:03 a.m.

Ridgeline hate threads. Making grm great since 1823

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/17 1:29 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I gotta say, the new Ridgeline is a massive improvement over the old (original) one. I never understood the appeal of the original, as it didn't drive better than a "real" truck, (IMHO) and the interior was poorly designed. The new one drives, and looks like what it is----- a Honda Pilot with a small exposed bed.

To be fair, the Pilot also didn't really drive better than a "real" truck, either.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/14/17 1:54 p.m.

The 1st gen Ridgeline's antenna is mildly interesting to me though. It's a strip stuck to the inside of the panel that goes around the 3rd brake light.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/14/17 2:20 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I gotta say, the new Ridgeline is a massive improvement over the old (original) one. I never understood the appeal of the original, as it didn't drive better than a "real" truck, (IMHO) and the interior was poorly designed. The new one drives, and looks like what it is----- a Honda Pilot with a small exposed bed. It's a very nice machine for those who don't need to tow much, and want a very pleasant, versatile vehicle. I still think they are way overpriced, and I'd rather have a "real" truck with more capability, but I now understand the appeal.

Which is what I said YEARS ago when this was first brought up. Although I was lambasted and called a hater because I wasn't fawning over the newest Honda product like a good drone.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/14/17 10:58 p.m.

I just came here to say the new Ridgeline is sweet!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/15/17 12:39 a.m.

So I'm still stuck on that whole forward control H1 based RV thing.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/15/17 8:53 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Ohh boy a ridgeline hate thread. Never done one of these before.

Doesn't every Ridgeline thread eventually turn into a Ridgeline hate thread?

Vigo wrote: I just came here to say the new Ridgeline is so ugly it makes the blind turn their heads away

FTFY!

Knurled
7/15/17 9:09 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: So I'm still stuck on that whole forward control H1 based RV thing.

The whole concept makes me think of the "support vehicle" class at Dakar.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
7/15/17 9:23 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: So I'm still stuck on that whole forward control H1 based RV thing.

I'm thinking more like, "Hey, let's add some roll cage tubing to that, put some seats next to the transmission...."

Knurled
7/15/17 9:35 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote:
I'm thinking more like, "Hey, let's add some roll cage tubing to that, put some seats next to the transmission...."

Rivet some aluminum skin over the roll cage and you have an H1.

That's not factually correct, of course. There's no roll cage, just aluminum skin riveted together.

hummerline
hummerline
9/8/17 10:44 p.m.
T.J. said:

Did they narrow the track somehow? H1's seem a lot wider than ridgelines, but it doesn't look like too much of the tires are outside of the bodylines.

The Ridgeline is the same width as a full size truck. I put 2" wheel spacers on the Humvee Hubs so now I am 7' 5" wide.

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 10:50 p.m.
edwardh80 said:
rslifkin wrote:
Knurled wrote:
edwardh80 wrote: Well, that's probably what Honda should have built to start with. What is a Ridgeline really any good for anyway?

Being an Avalanche for people who think a 4L60 is too reliable a transmission?

The Avalance is more capable as a truck though. The Ridgeline is basically a mid-size SUV with the towing-related handicaps of a FWD based AWD system and it has an outside storage area for dirty shoes.

This is sorta the point I was making. It's a "truck" for people who don't do truck things. In which case, a BMW 5-series wagon or something similar would carry just as much in the back. If you're going to manufacture a truck, make it a proper truck.

I actually have used this Ridgeline the last 10 years and 300k miles for exactly what people use heavy duty trucks for. Thousands of pallets of concrete and other materials. Moving equipment, tractors, and horse trailers. Even moving logs like a logging truck to my mill. Now the Ridgeline is semi-retired as a rock crawler.

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 10:53 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Are we sure that's an H1? I don't see portal axles.

Yes basically a H1. It is a M998 military chassis. I am still using the honda engine and transmission to power it via a divorced NP205.

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 11:01 p.m.
Knurled said:
Joe Gearin wrote: I gotta say, the new Ridgeline is a massive improvement over the old (original) one. I never understood the appeal of the original, as it didn't drive better than a "real" truck, (IMHO) and the interior was poorly designed. The new one drives, and looks like what it is----- a Honda Pilot with a small exposed bed.

To be fair, the Pilot also didn't really drive better than a "real" truck, either.

To be fair the Ridgeline is wider longer and has stiffer suspension. It drives and handles better in my opinion and reviewers have said the same and somehow they always act surprised. 

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 11:07 p.m.
Mike said:

Cool! Someone finally solved the Honda VTM-4 overheat issue!

I have done thousands of off-road miles and never had that issue. Transmission can overheat due to no low range though. 

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

The new Ridgeline may be more appealing style. But take a look underneath. The new Ridgeline is much lighter duty frame suspension arms and such

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/8/17 11:13 p.m.

In reply to hummerline :

Hummerline, I have to admit that your vehicle confuses me, but I love it. And thanks for coming in here to talk about it. 

When did you do it, and, dare I ask, why? Why the hummer and ridge line specifically?

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux :

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/8/17 11:17 p.m.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/members/albums/145873-hummerline/hummerline-funvee-3809-picture23121-ridgeline-project.html

hummerline
hummerline New Reader
9/9/17 7:45 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I bought the Ridgeline new and have used it as my only vehicle for the past 10 years running my business as a fence contractor in Northern California. The Ridgeline is geared too tall for pulling heavy trailers up steep hills and low speed off-road.  Granted I have pushed it and have done just that since day one. So I wanted to put a transfer case and lower gears. Because of the Transverse engine mount and transmission, I needed to abandon the front cv drive shafts. Running power into the only transfer case ever built for this job divorced NP205 only has a 1.9/1 ratio and because as I said earlier the Ridgeline is geared for highway mileage I needed additional gear reduction that isn't possible with a standard differential. That left me with two real options the Unimog portal or the humvee portal setup. I went with the humvee because of the cost. Right now the gov. is auctioning them off by the hundreds and for cheap. The standard gear ratio in the humvee of 2.56 I changed out for ARB locking carrier with 4.88 gears. add in the gear reduction of the portals of 1.92 I get an equivalent ratio of 9.36/1. Plenty of gearing for the ridgeline to spin all 4 tires on any surface with the lightest throttle. I started the project by gathering parts this spring and spent a few days in June to complete the working parts so I could test it out in July on the Rubicon. I have to say I am very impressed with the ride quality and stability of the overall machine. After driving all sorts of off-road machines Jeeps, Toyotas, SXS's I have to say that this is the most fun I have had off-road. I know it is a bit unsightly now but the function was the first priority. Next for boat side rock sliders, fenders and such to finish it up and give it more of a one vehicle look. Also 47" tires to come and replace the 37" should give a more appropriate look. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u7ayqHfT8qAMnKLLgvxY6nR7bYKwLLWfHUsOyz0Dphhu2Vnd9Sp2M0RgyDmKEnVK