1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/11/19 12:20 p.m.

Might it be possible that the skid marks on the other side of the median might have been the car going sideways? Cause it it hit the square curb going sideways it would go a ways to explaining how it got airborne and upside down in the house.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/11/19 12:25 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I'd say sideways.  Probably hit the sidewalk pretty much dead sideways, and flipped side for side through the air, until it found a home. How fast can a Boxter go?  Cause thats about how fast it was going.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/11/19 12:28 p.m.

That makes sense, I suppose. Kind of like a NASCAR superspeedway wreck where the cars start tumbling in all sorts of ways. Except that curb is an even better launcher than the infield grass of Talladega.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/19 12:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I'd say sideways.  Probably hit the sidewalk pretty much dead sideways, and flipped side for side through the air, until it found a home. How fast can a Boxter go?  Cause thats about how fast it was going.

The skids looks like they "widen" as they approach the last curb, so yeah it probably struck the curb completely sideways, flipping it upward. 

I wonder how many barrel rolls it did through the air...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/11/19 12:40 p.m.

What is the difference between the wheel track and wheel base of a Boxter?  They might be pretty close. 

Those later skid marks do look a bit strange though, almost like it riding on the edge of a tire sideways.  You can see tread in the early ones. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/11/19 12:42 p.m.
dculberson said:

As a landlord, this is the kind of call I fear.

"It appears there's a vehicle stuck in your building."

That, or a train finally hits its target coming off the tracks.

Add since there were fatalities, the building will be shut down for awhile before repairs can begin.

As bad as the landlord getting this call, imagine what the insurance agent is thinking when he gets the call, "I need to make a claim. An idiot in a Porsche killed himself and a buddy by landing in the second floor of Suite 2B.  Yeah... that crash that's been all over the news..."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/11/19 12:42 p.m.
Duke said:

Here's the car in situ:

If you look above, there's a good size notch in the RF wheel but the RR wheel is sheared off the hub at just about curb height.  Once they have it out of the building you can see a mild (in comparison) lip bend on the LF wheel, but of course the LR knuckle / hub / wheel is missing entirely in this pic:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/19 12:53 p.m.

Saw this on the news and what you are not seeing is the gully on the other side of the street that they went down in to and then it launched them coming out of it. The TV reporter actually did a very good job of explaining and showing what caused the car to end up where it did. It also is not as far as it looks as again they went down in to a gully and then back up and out of it in to the building so there velocity when they hit the building was much less than I think many are thinking.  

Had they been going fast enough to get launched at the curb the speed needed to fly that distance they would have gone much further in to the building. Hell they could have gone through the building. 

_
_ Dork
11/11/19 12:57 p.m.

Lord knows this will be fuel for the legislative and panty-waisted to try to "shut down those fast cars". 

Im predicting at least 12 new threads of fear mongering clickbait, to be posted in the near future. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/11/19 1:02 p.m.

Took out more thana crub, to fents and a bursh, anyway.

_
_ Dork
11/11/19 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Havin a stroke. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/11/19 2:07 p.m.

Bit of trouble reconciling the Google Earth image due to foliage ( or I could have the wrong place)  but this is what I found. There was some flight time.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/19 3:03 p.m.
_ said:

Havin a stroke. 

It's from a now infamous thread on some other car forum. My Googlefu is failing me at the moment since it doesn't want to believe I actually meant to type "crub," "fents," and "bursh."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/11/19 3:22 p.m.
Furious_E said:
_ said:

Havin a stroke. 

It's from a now infamous thread on some other car forum. My Googlefu is failing me at the moment since it doesn't want to believe I actually meant to type "crub," "fents," and "bursh."

Bask in the glory.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/11/19 3:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Agreed. Even if it was launched from the gulley it still flew across the entire parking lot and the grass in front of the building.  Easily 100 feet or so.  As the initial impact with the curbing probably set of the air bags, by the time the car hit the building they were probably somewhat deflated.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/11/19 3:53 p.m.

Am I the only one who's very relieved to find out that the 2 people who died were the ones in the car? Fate being such a cruel bitch as it is, i was really concerned the dead would be some innocent building occupants and the people in the car somehow survived. frown

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/11/19 3:56 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

How fast can a Boxter go? 

At least 4x the takeoff speed of a piper cub.   

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/11/19 6:01 p.m.

We have seen race cars fly and high.  Nascar made some mods to keep them on the ground.  Now they don't get as much altitude.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/19 7:37 p.m.

Geez, you guys could be crime scene investigators. All I think of is this:

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury New Reader
11/11/19 8:08 p.m.

I agree with Vigo, glad it wasn't some innocent bystanders that got killed by this moron.

And Duke, I laughed so hard at that linked thread, thanks for sharing lol.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/19 8:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I'd not thought about this in years.

Re: the Boxter accident- It's unfortunate that some people never get to learn from their mistakes. 

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
11/12/19 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I was on Vortex when that post was written. About a week later, I saw an issue of GRM in a store. "Oh yeah, I remember those guys!" I wonder if they have a forum.." smiley

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/12/19 12:10 p.m.

Evolution in action!

Nice when they just take themselves out, and no innocent bystanders are involved.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/19 12:27 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Ima Trina kill da house.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/12/19 12:30 p.m.
Vigo said:

Am I the only one who's very relieved to find out that the 2 people who died were the ones in the car? Fate being such a cruel bitch as it is, i was really concerned the dead would be some innocent building occupants and the people in the car somehow survived. frown

I feel kind of bad for the passenger, but yes, I was happy to hear that the house was empty. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LsyMaZbKd0uUtd7o5H7sHKdjWiO765jhCAxa9nTR640cVQoIw8gnqtrtx9fK38ct