1 2 3
AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/19/22 9:54 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It really is a great fleet, don't get me wrong, what I have meets my needs very well and I have no real reason to change anything. The Mazda3 is a great car that has been wonderfully trouble free, it handles nicely, it's comfortable enough even though I'm a little too tall for it, and I got it cheap. I've just been idly daydreaming about dailying something a little more exciting (with a stick again), and it's fun to daydream with a bunch of other goofballs :)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/19/22 10:14 a.m.

Second Gen Forte5 SX with the turbo motor could fit this bill nicely.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
7/19/22 10:33 a.m.

F56 base Mini, 3cyl turbo good for altitude and excellent mileage. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/19/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Cool. As a Mazda 3 replacement... 

I'm intrigued by the V6 3.7L Mustangs with manual trans rated for 30 mpg hyw and 300 hp (as much hp as the previous V8)

Are these the overlooked Mustangs? Can they be bought cheap? (as compared to V8 and turbo Mustangs) 

sergio
sergio HalfDork
7/19/22 12:41 p.m.

2007-2008 TL Type S with a manual? Q-ship stealth, good handling, hwy mpg 26-29.

AMiataCalledSteve
7/19/22 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Aspen :

I've always thought the new MINIs were cool little cars, and in my experience they have great headroom, which is a plus for me since my head touches the ceiling of my 3. I see a ton of cheap MINIs for sale all the time, but it seems like a lot are being sold because of various problems, which doesn't do much to dispel the notion that they aren't particularly reliable. They do look fun though, my grandpa has a Clubman that he likes a lot.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/22 3:55 p.m.

If your Miata is too prepped for mountain road carving, then how about a more stock Miata? NC's are becoming cheaper than NA's...

AMiataCalledSteve
7/19/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

My dad actually has an NC, it's a great car and totally underrated. It's been reliable, good for autocross, and he loves it even for long drives. It's the perfect car for him. Unfortunately, I don't fit with the top up -- I'm about half a head too tall. To be fair his is a hardtop model, I haven't sat in a regular soft top before. But for anyone who doesn't have a torso that's a mile long this is the right answer.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/22 4:18 p.m.

Ah, that explains your crazy tall roll bar! Bummer

AMiataCalledSteve
7/19/22 4:40 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Lol yup, it's a little hokey looking and it keeps me from putting any kind of top on the car, but I pass the broomstick test yes The previous owner installed it before me, he was a tall dude too.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
7/19/22 7:45 p.m.

The second gen R56 mini have too many problems whereas the 2015 on are very reliable, above average.  My daughter has a 2017 base and it's a hoot.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
7/19/22 8:50 p.m.
dean1484 said:

2001 740i

Only if the roads aren't too narrow.  They handle well and they're comfy, but if you start getting into really tight, narrow twisty roads they're just too big.  I've felt like I'm piloting a bus a few times in mine. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/22 7:59 a.m.

I too like the TDI suggestion.  But good luck finding a good one.  Rare as hens teeth around here.

I was down in Chile a week ago and had Puegot(sp?) version of it.  A 301.  It was an "emerging market only" car.  I had forgotten just how well small, manually shifted, turbo-diesels work in the real world.  Only 98 hp but what a sweet running little machine.  60 mpg too.

Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
7/20/22 9:26 a.m.

8th gen 4 door civic SI. Eager to rev, excellent handling and they just beg to get driven faster and faster!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/22 9:42 a.m.

Can still find excellent examples for under $10k.  Decent fuel economy for a luxury car.  Excellent ride and handing.  Astounding interior quality.  Phenomenal audio and HVAC, which are important for a car you will be living in a couple hours a day.

I live in one for about 65-70mi a day plus a few hundred on the weekends, about 105k rolled up since acquisition at the end of 2017.  Always puts a smile on my face, whether kicking back rolling miles away on the Interstate or turning brake pads and tread compound into dust on curvy backroads.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/20/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I really need to try one of these out. They tick so many boxes for me.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
7/20/22 2:51 p.m.

I love my scion xb daily. Perfectly functional (although you already have a truck), fun to drive with the 5 speed, and I really dig the seating position (although I am far shorter than you). I would get another one to modify if it passed the height/width rule but it doesn't. Not an especially serious suggestion, but a great car.

AMiataCalledSteve
7/20/22 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

The first gen Scion XB has always been cool in my eyes, it pulled off the boxy style better than any of its imitators. Lowered slightly, with cool wheels...

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/22 3:37 p.m.

REALLY thinking about picking one of these or a v70r up as a daily to replace my TDI 

AMiataCalledSteve
7/20/22 4:41 p.m.

Y'know, the S60 R and V70 R have always flown under my radar. I periodically forget that they exist, but every once in a while I'm reminded how cool an AWD turbo Swedish car can be. I'll have to do some looking around for one of these.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
7/20/22 5:42 p.m.

If they can be had in budget, I'd be looking FRS/BRZ.

Having had one of each, between the two I'd actually take a S197 Mustang over an E8X (or E9X) BMW.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
7/20/22 6:29 p.m.

Man, there's a lot to choose from for 10k. If you don't need the practicality of the 3, then I think that a 2011-'14 Mustang v6 is a great option. I also think an NC miata is a good choice. I, too, am fairly tall (6'1", 225) and don't fit into the PRHT NC, but am more than comfortable in the soft top. Other thoughts are as follows: If you like the 3, but want a bit more power, I see good condition MS3s for 8-10k all day long. Blob eye WRXs also fall into this range (though, I prefer its fancier cousin, the Saab 9-2x). 

As long as we're on Mazdas and Volvos, the c30, s40, and v50 are all mazda 3s and well within your budget. My casual searching suggests that the c30 is more frequently available with a manual, if that's important to you. The previously mentioned  1st gen TSX and 8th gen Civic Si both are solid options--they're essentially identical drive-train wise (I think) but I think the TSX has aged better. G35/350z are definitely contenders, though the g35 seems to have been cheap for so long that most of them are trashed (at least, from what I've seen).

If you don't care about rowing your own gears, I think a GS400 would be fun. Infiniti m45s (from, what was it?--'04-'05?) seem to fly under the radar though I'm not sure how much they'd suit the mountain road to which you're referring. Were I in your shoes and didn't need the hatch or to carry people, I'd probably go for another Miata. Any of the generations NA--> NC fit in your budget with room left over for tuning and tweaking.        

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/22 9:41 a.m.

Fiesta ST's are getting down there. Nothing more fun on the market.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/21/22 1:30 p.m.

The big downside on the Mustang is the cheap cheezy interior - so plain and just boring and ugly. Plus the manual gearbox in those $10K years are a problem.

Of course I'm on the side of the MINI, great fuel mileage (I get 27mpg while towing my Mini with it!), tons o fun to drive, handle great, very comfy on the highway (surprisingly so) and not hard to fix if needed. Get a pre purchase inspection before buying and use the list of repairs from the dealer to negotiate a lower price, then fix it yourself and get a lot more car for the bux. I prefer the R series cars, but the F series do have the BMW motors, to go with the BMW rest of the car.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
7/21/22 2:13 p.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

I've always been interested in the C30. After checking prices I might actually have to do a bit of digging on them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9IeP2PzeiNqAlDsLylKNw5A07P5yU8QNlWDjFuR0dsXA1or88l5UFWE7o2l3m9te