RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
9/9/09 6:29 p.m.

While trolling around Autotrader, I saw a listing for a manual 2004 BMW 325ixT AWD wagon at a dealership in my town. It caught my eye since E46 wagons, especially manuals, are rare. However, AWD 3-series are popular in New England. Any thoughts on AWD E46s in general? Just curious.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
9/9/09 6:53 p.m.

I think the ix's add a whole lotta weight, complexity, maintenance and failure points for minimal benefit. Snow tires add much more usefulness to the car. Never once got stuck with my old E46 328i and decent snows.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/9/09 7:15 p.m.

Turbo the bejeesus out of the motor and I bet the AWD would be more worthwhile!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
9/9/09 7:27 p.m.

I thought the ix was auto...

i'd sooner look for a newer Subie Legacy GT with the 2.5 Turbo motor

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/9/09 7:55 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I think the ix's add a whole lotta weight, complexity, maintenance and failure points for minimal benefit. Snow tires add much more usefulness to the car. Never once got stuck with my old E46 328i and decent snows.

listen to this man.. He lives in Roc NY. They know snow.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
9/9/09 8:56 p.m.

My whining aside, if I were in the market for an E46 wagon, I wouldn't not buy a manual E46 wagon just because it had awd. They're pretty rare beasts.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/9/09 9:37 p.m.

I don't know a lot about the e46, but I have an e30 iX and I love it. Realistically there's not that many times during the winter when I NEED all wheel drive, but it's sure fun when I do. The e46 version is a lot more complicated, with a bunch of electronics involved, while the e30 is purely mechanical.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
9/9/09 9:41 p.m.

Very expensive to maintain if you take it to a mechanic. Front CV boots and joints fail more often that you'd think they should.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d9r7SpJ8BRh3VWI1VboqtNBjT5dUWL8ylPdj71rt8GuGROtazl0LWTEaHQ1AR6OC