bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/29/08 7:40 p.m.

Okay, I come to the site and log in. It says 'hello bludroptop'. I click on 'On the Boards' and I'm logged out. I try to log back in and it says my cookies are disabled. Log in - log in - I'm in, and then I click on a thread and I'm out again. Over and over.... Says I'm in, try to post, and I'm out again

Clear all the cookies and delete temporary internet files and I'm good...for a couple hours and then the whole thing starts again.

IE 6, in case you are wondering. And upgrading the browser isn't an option - I don't own the machine.

No hurry - I appreciate the fact that this project has burned you out, and you are moving the office. I can work around it for a while but is this going to be a forever thing?

Edit - by the way, cookies are not disabled. I love cookies. Particularly those Girl Scout ones with the coconut!

KartRacer
KartRacer GRM+ Member
5/29/08 8:33 p.m.

I have about the same problem, but with Camino on a MacBook.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
5/29/08 9:01 p.m.

I too had the same problem. I had to go into my cookies file and delete anything that resembled GRM or c classic motorsports and then it started working.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/29/08 9:29 p.m.

That's usually the solution... it's typically caused by a conflict between the two sites' cookies, especially if the cookies were set before I caught the problem. It's troubling with bludroptop because he says he's clearing ALL cookies, which would catch both.

Bludrop, if you're not clearing ALL of them, make sure you are getting rid of any cookies that look at all related to grassrootsmotorsports or classicmotorsports. Watch for any grm.classicmotorsports ones, too. Those are easy to miss.

If that's not it, then try this... go to grassrootsmotorsports.com/logout/ and force the logout. In theory, that should clear the session and allow you to start fresh. I think.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/30/08 4:17 a.m.

I'm going to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies.

I tried the forced logout too, that didn't help either.

I'll do some poking around on my hard drive, maybe there's some hidden cookie jar somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me on this thing.

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/30/08 4:49 a.m.

I had the same problem on the work computer tonight. It would let me log in, then whenever I jumped pages, it would log me out. Work computer is IE6. clearing all cookies did not help. Finally gave up.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/30/08 4:48 p.m.

Ok I'm back at work and deleting all temp files seems to have fixed the problem.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/30/08 6:44 p.m.

Deleting all temp files works - but only for an hour or two.

I'm now posting on Mrs. BDT's computer, 'cause I can't log in at all on mine...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/30/08 10:32 p.m.

bludrop, I had another thought, which url are you using? the www or the regular, and are you jumping between the two? When you hit a problem, note which one you're on, and maybe try the other. Let me know the results, too.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
5/30/08 10:59 p.m.

where the berkley are the choclet chips

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/31/08 4:59 a.m.

Note that I am simultaneously logged in, and not logged in.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/31/08 10:21 a.m.

In the above, you ARE logged in, it's just getting confused.

As outlined in the FAQ, it's getting your cookies confused. IE 6 is the worst about it, but I've seen it happen elsewhere, too. Since you ARE logged in (it obviously knows who you are), you may be able to just ignore it. You may be confusing it by logging in when you're already logged in, too. Not sure. If it greets you by name, you're logged in.

You could try using the "real" url, without the www. Switching between the two may be part of the problem.

Let me know if any of that works, or doesn't work.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/31/08 1:57 p.m.

Yes - but in the above example, when I click on Message Board - it logs me out and says I must log in to post.

Tim - take a friggin' day off!

I'll try the 'real' URL (didn't know I was using the chump URL) and see what happens.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/31/08 3:53 p.m.

Yes, let me know. I'm trying to track it down.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 3:00 p.m.

OK, I'm fairly confident I've got this sorted out. Here's what's happening:

GRM could (up until today) be at www.grassrootsmotorsports.com or just plain grassrootsmotorsports.com As long as you went to one of those or the other, life is good. You log in and stay logged in. But if you bounced between them, the cookies for the two sites would get in a big fight, tear each other up, then both would call in sick for work.

So, now everything goes straight to grassrootsmotorsports.com, without the www. If you get logged out now, it's cause you still have a www cookie in there, but once you clear it out it won't happen again.

Why get rid of the www? Because it's 4 needless characters (counting the period) and a silly anachronism left over from when people really thought you'd be surfing the internet using something gopher or something weird. By now, we've pretty well settled into the web, and www is redundant at best.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/2/08 3:19 p.m.

Tim - once again thanks. Still getting the "looks like your cookies are disabled" error messsage the first time I click login, but then I just click login again and it lets me through. After that, no problems - at least so far. We'll see if anything changes as my cookie jar refills, but for now it looks like you may have licked it.

Edit - now I log out, and then click on discussion board and it logs me back in automatically. Still, that's an improvement over last week.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 3:23 p.m.

I think so. I'm pretty sure you (and others, including myself earlier today) were hitting the www subdomain somewhere along the line. Of course, you might never even notice you had. Could get there from a link, a bookmark... anywhere.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
82TKOyvw0bFzJDhpYVhs5J4JhsoEF9x9cYQptfYyLkc9ruVcNUyQU4YReJu2y8uB