1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/1/09 1:37 p.m.

Looks like I might be up in Seattle at the end of June. Can't find a whole bunch of event activity that weekend June 26-27th), but I would like to stay for an event or visit an interesting company, collection or what have you, as I don't get to that area that often. Anyone got any ideas?

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/1/09 1:42 p.m.

I don't live there, but this might be worth the trip:

www.lemaymuseum.org

slefain
slefain Dork
6/1/09 1:56 p.m.

You should check out the band "Citizen Dick" while you're there, they're huge in Belgium.....

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/09 2:18 p.m.
slefain wrote: You should check out the band "Citizen Dick" while you're there, they're huge in Belgium.....

Didn't they open for these guys?

Brust
Brust Reader
6/1/09 3:05 p.m.

The Aviation Museum at Boeing field is cool.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/1/09 3:16 p.m.

There are a ton of cool VWs (aircooled, in particular) in the area if you're into that sort of thing, but I don't see any shows going on that weekend. Not quite as many as SoCal or maybe Arizona, but close.

LeMay was mentioned above, I haven't seen it but I know they've been trying to get a real deal museum, new building, etc. Seattle really isn't very rich with auto collections or super cool car companies, to my knowledge, but the air museums/collections are pretty good. I know, not cars, just throwing it out there if you're interested. There's no shortage of spectacular driving roads, also, if you want to go for a cruise. Head for the mountains, that time of year pretty much anywhere is beautiful in the northwest, but especially the mountains.

Bryce

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/09 4:00 p.m.

There's a certain eclectic GRM reader nuthead who drives a cop car that lives up thataway...

I don't see any autocrosses scheduled for that weekend anywhere up here but Bryce and I could probably show you around to some pretty neat stuff.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/1/09 4:14 p.m.

Definitely check out the The Museum of Flight (not to be confused with Boeing's museum north of town in Everett), and, if possible, Lemay. Of possible interest to you, too, is the new Tesla dealership that's coming (not sure if it's open yet).

If you're downtown and have a few hours, check out Pike Place Market. Another fun, touristy activity is to walk onto a Bainbridge Island ferry, which gives awesome views of the city, Rainier, Puget Sound, etc. Walk off on the other side, continue uphill to a somewhat touristy street where you can eat, etc. Our ferry system is almost as iconic as the Space Needle.

If you want to drive in the mtns, it's tough to beat SR 20 - North Cascades Highway.

A visit to Mt. Rainier (Paradise) is is pretty cool, too, but you go less for the driving and more for the mtn. If you bring some light hiking boots and can hike up a 1,000' vert or so, provided the skies are clear, you can see Mts. St. Helens, Adams, and Hood, three additional volcanic peaks. Bring sunscreen! You'll be hiking on snow, which is very reflective. The hiking is not technical; much of it just happens to be on snow this time of year.

JohnCh
JohnCh New Reader
6/1/09 8:50 p.m.

You might want to check out Exotics @ Redmond Town Center on Saturday morning. Despite the pretentious sounding name, it is a nice little cars & coffee type event full of friendly folks with interesting cars. I’ve seen Alfa GTVs, Alfa 8C, Muira, F40, Atoms, 300SL Gullwing, tweaked E30 M3s, as well as modern day Ferraris and Lamborghinis by the boatload. I try to get out there in the Westfield a couple of times a month. Lots of related threads loaded with pictures from past events are on the Northwest subforum of 6speedonline.

-John

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/1/09 8:55 p.m.

I could show you around Fort Lewis, it'd be my pleasure. And a lot closer than that nutty Cop Car driver to seattle

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/1/09 8:59 p.m.
procainestart wrote: Definitely check out the The Museum of Flight (not to be confused with Boeing's museum north of town in Everett), and, if possible, Lemay. Of possible interest to you, too, is the new Tesla dealership that's coming (not sure if it's open yet). If you're downtown and have a few hours, check out Pike Place Market. Another fun, touristy activity is to walk onto a Bainbridge Island ferry, which gives awesome views of the city, Rainier, Puget Sound, etc. Walk off on the other side, continue uphill to a somewhat touristy street where you can eat, etc. Our ferry system is almost as iconic as the Space Needle. If you want to drive in the mtns, it's tough to beat SR 20 - North Cascades Highway. A visit to Mt. Rainier (Paradise) is is pretty cool, too, but you go less for the driving and more for the mtn. If you bring some light hiking boots and can hike up a 1,000' vert or so, provided the skies are clear, you can see Mts. St. Helens, Adams, and Hood, three additional volcanic peaks. Bring sunscreen! You'll be hiking on snow, which is very reflective. The hiking is not technical; much of it just happens to be on snow this time of year.

Also you could drive to Mt Ranier Take SR512 to HYW 7 Turns into SR706. From Roy to Elbe there's some amazing road (if the weather cooperates, Hint: dumb rain). Also in elbe is a fantastic Burger Shack, and a Train converted in to a diner.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/1/09 9:11 p.m.

Tim interesting company: You know Fikse Wheels are up here. Start by and ex-Boeing engineer. But I am sure you knew that.

Boeing's Museum of Flight some nice hardware and engines. Wicked supercharged piston engines etc.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/1/09 9:57 p.m.

All good stuff. I was going to visit with Peter and Gayle Brock, if they are not traveling that weekend. They are in Redmond. The cars and coffee event sounds real cool. As much as just driving around and sight seeing sounds cool, I don't get out that way often and was trying to keep my nose to the grind stone, as much as possible. Assuming I get to the cars and coffee event, I would love to meet any readers in the area. There also seems to be a Tri Cities autocross, but that looks to be 200 miles away. This could be doable, but I don't want to drive all day and find out only 20 people showed up.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/2/09 12:04 a.m.

Tri-Cities is a haul through hot, flattish country to a fairly small concentration of folks: it'll likely not be a big event. Not worth the time, IMO (not that the folks there aren't great -- you'll just not meet lots of 'em). If SCCA or WWSCC are running an event in Bremerton, that'd be worth it. Or if there's one in Packwood, provided you also wanted to see Rainier, that'd be worth it, too, as they're fairly close to one another. Lot of driving to Packwood just for a Solo event, though. See www.wwscc.org for western WA autocross schedule.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/2/09 6:40 a.m.

Bremerton sports car club is what you need to google to find their calander.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/2/09 11:07 a.m.

Y'all can help me try and install this toyota alltrac gearbox into my mazdog protege rallycar, oh boy doesn't THAT sound like fun!!

This corner of the world is a gearhead paradise. Vast numbers of folks round here with old school hot rods, more folks with modern stuff, it's fantastic. PM me if you want me to rattle my old man's cage, as he's in an old-car club that's quite active. There's prolly some manner of cruise or meet-up going on that weekend.

'Tain't very grassroots really, this fellers' paintjobs cost thousands, but www.killerpaint.com is in my town here about 30 miles outta Seattle. His work must be seen to be believed...

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/2/09 12:46 p.m.

As mentioned, you'd probably be disappointed with the turnout at a Tri-Cities autocross considering the drive time. It's a pretty isolated area with a small concentration of gearheads. You see some cool cars out there because it's desert country (no rust!) but not many gearheads just due to low population out there.

It's too bad your timing doesn't jive with the Whidbey C&C...I've been wanting to make my way out there as it looks like some cool cars turn out and it's great scenery up that way.

Bryce

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
6/2/09 1:36 p.m.

How about a tour of Microsoft and a sack of cheap company store software:-)

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/2/09 6:43 p.m.

Oh yeah if you drive around enough you're gonna ask yourself how are those cars on the road, in florida that'd be dust by now.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/2/09 8:11 p.m.

Hey sultan, want to hook a brother up with some windows so pro?

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/2/09 10:38 p.m.

It's too bad you're not here the weekend before...there's a regional ProSolo on Saturday and a points event on Sunday, both in beautiful Packwood. You're also a month early for the annual Western Washington All British Field Meet.

Let us know what you settle on and maybe a few of us dedicated readers can make it out for a meet and greet.

Cheers,

Chris

Jason
Jason New Reader
6/3/09 2:59 a.m.

Well Tim,

When you say you'll be in "Seattle" does that mean you'll be in SEATTLE, or that you'll be visiting some surrounding area?

I'm sure there will still be some work to be done on the fire breathing Volvo rally car. If not, it won't take much to twist John's arm for a ride. That's ~1.5 hours north of Seattle.

The LeMay museum is ~45 minutes south of Seattle.

Pike Place Market is ~1.5 miles walk from my apartment.

Space Needle is 2 mile walk from my apartment.

Jimi Hendrix's grave is ~30 minutes SE of Seattle.

Then there are the funky definitively Seattle things: Pike Place Gum Wall, Aurora Bridge Troll, Beths Cafe (if you're up to try a 12-egg omlette)...

Plenty to do. Per has my number and email address if you want to talk more about it. :)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/3/09 9:00 a.m.

I am already planning on going to Tacoma, Redmond and surrounding areas north and south. Let me firm up some meetings and see what time I have left and where it will be.

Jason
Jason New Reader
6/7/09 10:24 p.m.

More things:

The Experience Music Project. One of the weirdest looking buildings in the USA. A tribute to Music from the NW.

There's an SCCA Rallycross going down in Hillsboro, Oregon that weekend. One of the National-level ones, I believe. You're looking at a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Seattle for that.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
6/7/09 10:55 p.m.

There's cold beer north of the border!

I'm only 20 minutes from the peace arch crossing and the fridge is full.

Shawn

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NC0ObjcarvvUOFJjgVIACuvxCNE9xwnCFW3QVVJPN2EYs9GO2lAa948uouFml2mM