BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
5/11/13 12:34 p.m.

So, I'm planning to hit the Smokie Mountains late this summer for a mini weekend vacation, like we try to do at least once a year. Last year, we only had one day so I skipped out on Deal's Gap, but we went the year before and it was epic!! I wanna hit some of the other roads in the area, but I'll have my four year old (who loves curvy roads) and a (quite) pregnant wife with me.

I'm thinking of going back to Deal's Gap, then looping over onto the Cherohala Skyway, but then to get back to Gatlinburg makes the whole trip nearly 5 hours, that's with no gas, potty, or overlook breaks. Last year we avoided the Pigeon Forge traffic the way in, and came through Maryville, TN, and through the national park to the backside of Gatlinburg. It was curvy, but well shaded, and not a lot of traffic. We rolled the windows down and listened to the creek as we drove by. Very relaxing and a lot of fun.

I digress, we as a family are planning on going to other attractions in the area, my daughter loved the aquarium, so I'll have to throw all my road driving excursions into one part of the trip, so I'll need to link them together as best I can. What can you experienced dragoniers recommend?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/11/13 12:49 p.m.

The only disappointing part of my trip was trying to leave the park via Gatlinburg on a Friday evening. I thought it would be a sleepy little town. Holy E36 M3 was I wrong. 45 minutes to go 5 miles.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
5/11/13 3:54 p.m.

Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, & DollyWood ... good luck with that anytime, much less on a Fri

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/11/13 5:46 p.m.

Hit me up when the time gets closer. I'd like to buy you a beer for all the close racing. Maybe we can meet at the aquarium, last time we went the boy was only two.

Any way my usual route is to come up the Cherohala Skyway into N.C. then come down the dragon and cut across the foothills parkway back over to 321. Really there is a LOT of very good roads all over that area near the NC/TN boarder.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/13 6:16 p.m.

Bluff mountain road. There is a firetower on top with epic views. Also the road goes up the bluff schizo style and dead ends at the bluff overlooking the valley. Its a probably 500'+ dropoff that the fire tower is on top of. Take 73 west out of pigeon forge, after about 5 miles right on waldens creek then right in goose gap. This ends straight into bluff mountain.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/11/13 6:46 p.m.

We did Pigeon Forge then Deal's Gap on the way out. Do NOT let your GPS take you through Cade's Cove. Bad idea.... Our adventure, with photos

Storz
Storz HalfDork
5/13/13 6:18 a.m.

Honestly its hard to hit a bad road out there! Have fun

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/13/13 6:24 a.m.
Jerry wrote: We did Pigeon Forge then Deal's Gap on the way out. Do NOT let your GPS take you through Cade's Cove. Bad idea.... Our adventure, with photos

I love Cade's Cove! Lousy driving, but good hiking and photography.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/13/13 7:20 a.m.

Brandon, keep an eye on the Ohio thread, I am planning a weekend in SE Ohio in the hills. Some say these roads are at least as good as the smokies.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/13/13 8:16 a.m.

SE Ohio hills and roads you say? I'm interested.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/13/13 8:32 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The only disappointing part of my trip was trying to leave the park via Gatlinburg on a Friday evening. I thought it would be a sleepy little town. Holy E36 M3 was I wrong. 45 minutes to go 5 miles.

Just add snow & ice. First & last time for me. berkeley that place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZk7vsDAA4y8S626nRK206pYp230AyPH59atzMPvHADr8iHc4vrTIQu00qJALfL3