Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en Reader
3/13/20 7:37 a.m.

So the time has come. Dad wants to trade in his 2013 Camaro 2SSRS Convertible (6 speed hurst short throw, tons of options, got it for a good price, his third Camaro in his life, no idea why he wants to get rid of it now) and his 2010 CTS 3.6 Wagon (Second car I was with him with to buy). He wants something fast, RWD, preferably a coupe, 4 seats. Im aiming for a manual, but he doesn't care if it's manual or auto. He's wanting to stay under $23,000, 2012-Present day, and under 70,000 miles (To get his payments lower after he trades in the two cars for whatever he gets). He's currently looking at Audi S4s, BMW 235i, 135is, 335is, Infiniti G37 IPL. I am hunting for Mustang GTs, other Camaros, and more exciting, more exotic and not as common. Any other ideas?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/13/20 7:47 a.m.

Keep the car he has? 

I definitely wouldn't lean toward a modern, FI German car without an extended warranty.................and those things ARE $$$$$$$$$$$$. When I bought my 135is two years ago, the extended warranty for bumper-to-bumper was $7500, powertrain only was $5k.

If he really wants a change, I'd say an S550 Mustang GT?

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en Reader
3/13/20 7:49 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I've already tried convincing him to keep it. He is planning a warrenty with whatever he gets. I was looking at S550s all with 6 speeds. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
3/13/20 8:09 a.m.

As much of a general supporter of BMW as I am, I cannot recommend any of the modern turbo motors unless you want the ownership experience to include a lot of shop time.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
3/13/20 8:39 a.m.

His current car fully meets his stated list of requirements. It's pretty hard to suggest anything without knowing the specific ways in which it does NOT meet is wants and/or needs.

Random other suggestion for a similar different car: Is there a manual trans Challenger that fits his budget?

My pessimistic recommendation for getting something more 'exotic' is to sell the Camaro now, while he can. Then wait with cash in hand, and have many more interesting options suddenly drop into his price range after we're chin deep in the coming recession. More practical used cars like the CTS will keep more of their market value and be easier to sell.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/13/20 9:45 a.m.
Driven5 said:

His current car fully meets his stated list of requirements. It's pretty hard to suggest anything without knowing the specific ways in which it does NOT meet is wants and/or needs.

That was my reaction too. Knowing what he doesn't like or needs to change about the Camaro is going to be important here.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/20 10:10 a.m.

Keep what he has and just add a  miata to the stable?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/13/20 11:17 a.m.

Supercharge the Camaro? That would definitely add some spice to it.

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
3/13/20 11:28 a.m.

Not a power or street-cred upgrade to his current Crammit, but you could buy the nicest Hyundai Genesis coupe in that range. That fits your criteria. 

If you expand to AWD, an Audi TT would fit as well.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/13/20 12:28 p.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

Dad wants to trade in his 2013 Camaro 2SSRS 

I am hunting For other Camaros

so dad wants to sell Camaro 

you want him to buy another camaro 

got it. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/20 4:30 p.m.

Newest CLS 550 (not lowest millage) he can find that fits his price range and ahs dealer service records.  No Manual but the flappy paddles are really good but you really wont use it after the first week or so.  Sport mode is a hoot on the street.  Manual sport mode should jut have a sign light up on the roof telling cops to just rest you now as you will be doing somthing stupid real soon.  I really think that the the manual sport mode is really track mode.    

If you can swing it an AMG version takes things up to 11

4 matic is an option if AWD is wanted (makes rain and snow not an issue with proper tires) and with the power going to 4 wheels you are bouncing off the traction controll alot less.

Very fast, Sporty. The 2012 and up cars are much better in terms of care and feeding. Run away from a 2000-2010 cars unless you have all the paper work on it and you know it has had the timing gear issue fixed.  The timing gear is a issue at about 100K miles or so.  If it fails you need a new motor.  That is why you see so many of this generatetion Mercs for cheep with right about 100K on them.  The timing gear issue is with the 350 and 500 and I heard that it also hits some of the early 550 as well.  Mostly in the early s550 I think.  I think it was fixed after 2010.

The only gotcha can be the air ride suspension.  If a strut goes it is $1500 each from a dealer as the reman place in Florida is half the price (they supply the same Contental made parts) but availability is hit or miss due to hurricane damage that they are still recovering from.

And just because photos sell things.  This is what mine looks like (not my actual car)

Edit this does not look like a Biturbo.  Mine is teh Biturbo.  Look for a Biturbo if you can find one.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/20 4:36 p.m.

Infiniti Q60

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/20 4:44 p.m.

Sell the CTS and you buy your Dads Camaro.   Then sell it BACK to him in a month when he realizes that he sold the perfect car.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
3/13/20 4:56 p.m.

Chevy SS 

It's a sedan but a really fun one  

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
3/13/20 5:53 p.m.

I'd think you could find a sub 70k e9x BMW M3 with the rod bearings done for 23k if you shop.  Can't think of a better car for the $$!  (disclaimer: I have one...)

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/14/20 9:33 a.m.

The Audi S4 with the 3.0T supercharged motor is actually really reliable.  Out of all the German sports sedans that's the one I'd go with, however I don't like the interior as much.  Audi definitely cheaped out on the interior of it compared to previous generations.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oRTwggL49z0luVaRJaikv2Wa1XY9qB0MD3nOs8knI5nt63go9P0aBqBqlTtBDTv6