projectmg
projectmg New Reader
4/15/22 8:00 p.m.

I recently bought a very nice 1999 CR-V with a 5 speed manual, great interior and refreshed engine, suspension, and brakes with a decent but faded and scratched exterior. 

The only mods that I know of are that the previous owner put on a full maxspeedingrods coilover lowering kit and vented rotors on the front, along with a refresh of much of the suspension and engine. With this, I am surprised at how well it handles in the corners for the CUV that it is. 

What changes or modifications can I do to improve the handling? This will mostly be for the country twisties and not the track, though I might try autocross if it works well enough. I imagine it would look a bit out of place though...

The tires quickly squeal even when far off from the limit, and the body rolls significantly, I think this is the biggest issue at this point. The rear is lower than the front and has a noticeable amount of camber, while the front has nearly none.

I am not sure of the amount of refresh on the suspension, but by my guess many of the bushings were replaced and all of the suspension wear items for a car of this age have been replaced, as the car was entirely refreshed by a mechanic by the previous owner. 

I would like to keep the exterior looking mostly stock if possible, but lowering and some camber for handling are fine by me- I'm not looking to rice it out like many an unfortunate Honda. A clean, nice look with good handling is the goal.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/15/22 9:37 p.m.

I believe they share suspension parts with the EG-chassis Civic, so there's a ton of high (and low) quality aftermarket stuff that theoretically bolts right up, but I don't know off hand how low you can go before you put the control arms at a weird angle and/or start stressing the axles.

I don't think Maxspeedingrods is very well renowned for anything beyond "cheap and low" so a higher quality setup with some sway bars would probably be a big improvement.

Early CR-Vs have a very Wagovan thing going on when lowered and I like it a lot.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/15/22 9:52 p.m.

Your first problem is the complete trash that is those coilovers. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 12:43 p.m.

It looks EG but all of the dimensions are pretty different.  Not sure if there is any direct interchange.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pAQo6yjL5153vK22BPDPlZ0S4nvOfJCWOOTF69GQuHFA0gGjsP1lD6mpAYiIpm79