bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/8/15 2:52 p.m.

So i find myself in a conundrum with my wife car, she currently has Michelin Latitude Tour HP: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP

When we bought the car used 6 months ago they were a little noisy but drove fine. Then we got some snow and my wife complained that it drove poorly and she was sliding under any throttle input. My wife NEVER complains about car stuff she just does not drive hard enough to ever notice.... so it raised a red flag....

If you clikc the link and view survey results you will see that this tire is not so good: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS It ranks 10.19 in category and gets a 6.1 in the would buy again section and is terrible in snow, so I went out and it has about 3/32nds left till the wear marker (4.5/32nds to the carcass), they shipped with 10/32nds so I have a good bit of life left on them. Lucky for Ohio this has been a mild winter.

So given some life left and that these tires are fine in dry and wet do i:

Order a set of winter wheels/tires (about $1K shipped for tire rack for the Yokohama iceGUARD iG51) and run these out till they need replaced then replace with something better.

OR

Trash these with usable tread left on them and just get a solid set of all seasons?

Im torn and indecisive right now....

84FSP
84FSP Reader
2/8/15 7:09 p.m.

I just put a set of yokohama geolander ats on wifees truck for the same reasons. Good all around with some decent snow traffic.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
2/9/15 6:36 a.m.

Michilen LTX's are, IMO, the best SUV tire on the market for all around use. My mother runs these on her RX300 in Minnesota. The driveway is very steep, and she's loved them.

That said, they are not very cheap.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/9/15 7:34 a.m.
pushrod36 wrote: Michilen LTX's are, IMO, the best SUV tire on the market for all around use. My mother runs these on her RX300 in Minnesota. The driveway is very steep, and she's loved them. That said, they are not very cheap.

^this. These tires rock and last virtually forever.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
2/9/15 9:29 a.m.

Buy new, list old on Craigslist.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/9/15 1:07 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
pushrod36 wrote: Michilen LTX's are, IMO, the best SUV tire on the market for all around use. My mother runs these on her RX300 in Minnesota. The driveway is very steep, and she's loved them. That said, they are not very cheap.
^this. These tires rock and last virtually forever.

Yup. I've been running them for years. While no they are not cheap, the longevity and grip make up for that.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/9/15 5:14 p.m.

another vote for the ltx's, they were my all around tire on my rodeo for 2 years. great in dry weather and good in snow. better then the swampers sadly

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/9/15 6:36 p.m.

there are quite a few variations on the LTX line up: any one in particular?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/9/15 9:15 p.m.

LTX M/S or LTX M/S2

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/9/15 9:31 p.m.

LTX does not come in OEM size 255/55/18 how much is going to a 255/70/18 gonna change things, 15 on aspect ratio feels like alot.....

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
2/10/15 9:05 a.m.

My calculations say ~3" diameter increase. Result will be inaccurate speedometer readings, slower acceleration, worse braking, and lower engine speed for a given vehicle speed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SYrFkR44GQOE2JHxImpWr4mlAA6s7nHXmcfdBAezhqOA6MSlqCN6uqKkM6CvKSpo