1 2
jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/23/11 7:38 p.m.

I ordered tires for the Spec V yesterday at lunchtime, standard ground shipping.

They were at my garage door this afternoon.

How do they do that?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/23/11 7:45 p.m.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/einstein-express/1344109/

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/11 7:52 p.m.

Probably have regional shipment centers all over the country. That will put them no more than two days transit time from anywhere.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
8/23/11 8:40 p.m.

McMaster-Carr is like that for me. Stuff I order early in the morning is often at my door that evening for next to nothing. 30lbs of 4' long steel rods to my door in less than a day for $6 is pretty awesome.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/11 8:44 p.m.

the tyre fairies are quick

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/23/11 8:58 p.m.

I just wish they carried Toyos; they would be perfect.

dogbreath
dogbreath Reader
8/23/11 9:04 p.m.

They have spies that measure your tread when you go in to prepay for gas. When your tires start to get worn, they hide in the bushes with your new set. The online ordering process is just a bureaucracy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/23/11 9:08 p.m.
dogbreath wrote: They have spies that measure your tread when you go in to prepay for gas. When your tires start to get worn, they hide in the bushes with your new set. The online ordering process is just a bureaucracy.

I like that. Actually, I have seen their South Bend shipping department in action. It's a machine. Plus they have regional warehouses, too.

dogbreath
dogbreath Reader
8/23/11 9:22 p.m.

Just ordered a set of winters for my Corolla. They arrived last year and are already worn out from snow drifting. I think I'll file a complaint.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
8/23/11 9:46 p.m.

The only people quicker than them are Crutchfield. I swear, they must know what I want before I order it, and drop it in the mail ahead of time.

The other thing that boggles my mind about the Tire Rack is how they don't sell any decent wheels anymore. They have Enkeis and the occasional SSR, and the Kosei K1s, but that's it. Everything else is mega bling, yo.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/23/11 10:15 p.m.

TireRack has a regional warehouse in south Georgia. An order placed at lunch gave them plenty of time for same-day processing and shipping. It's also no surprise that UPS can complete next-day ground service delivery to an adjacent state.

Both companies are great examples on how to do it right. Are they perfect? Nope, but they set the bar at a high level.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/23/11 10:15 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: I ordered tires for the Spec V yesterday at lunchtime, standard ground shipping. They were at my garage door this afternoon. How do they do that?

That makes sending it back when they send you the wrong items much faster. Over and Over again!

That's my experience with the Tire Rack. I was surprised at how fast I got it and surprised at how fast I had to send it back.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/23/11 10:46 p.m.

Yeah. The 4 times I have ordered things have arrived really fast. In a few weeks I will be getting a mounted and balanced snow tire set for SWMBO's Accord.

mad_machine
8/23/11 11:46 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: The other thing that boggles my mind about the Tire Rack is how they don't sell any decent wheels anymore. They have Enkeis and the occasional SSR, and the Kosei K1s, but that's it. Everything else is mega bling, yo.

Just giving the public what it wants. Most aftermarket wheels are NOT performance related anymore

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/23/11 11:50 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: The other thing that boggles my mind about the Tire Rack is how they don't sell any decent wheels anymore. They have Enkeis and the occasional SSR, and the Kosei K1s, but that's it. Everything else is mega bling, yo.
Just giving the public what it wants. Most aftermarket wheels are NOT performance related anymore

When looking at wheels, I always sort by weight. Rotational mass is a big deal.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/11 12:08 a.m.

They've actually got their own line of wheels that are a good weight for the price. They do tend to be Miata-centric, but they're available for a bunch of cars. Check out the TR Motorsport line.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
8/24/11 1:15 a.m.

I wish they would let you search wheels by bolt pattern and offset, or at least show it when you are browsing wheels by manufacturer.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
8/24/11 7:27 a.m.

In reply to WhiteLX:

Yes. I had to call them to order my wheels because according to their website they wouldn't work on my car. They are essentially a -2 setup. (went from stock 17" to 15").

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/24/11 7:52 a.m.

I order from them every day. I never have an issue.... at least not in the last 7 years.

mad_machine
8/24/11 8:01 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: That makes sending it back when they send you the wrong items much faster. Over and Over again! That's my experience with the Tire Rack. I was surprised at how fast I got it and surprised at how fast I had to send it back.

Odd, you are the first person I know of who had issues. I know they personally call you if they think your order won't fit on the car you are putting them on. Every time I order the 235s for the Ti.. I get a call.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/24/11 8:10 a.m.

I have found that they always send exactly what you order.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/24/11 9:36 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Odd, you are the first person I know of who had issues. I know they personally call you if they think your order won't fit on the car you are putting them on. Every time I order the 235s for the Ti.. I get a call.

Yep, I got a call when I ordered 245/45R17s for my foxbody.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/24/11 9:55 a.m.

I used to order 185/60-13's for my CRX Si's and was always questioned. That stopped when I started telling them the car was an HF.

Had to use the same tactic when ordering 195/45-15's for the Civic.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/24/11 11:54 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
jstein77 wrote: I ordered tires for the Spec V yesterday at lunchtime, standard ground shipping. They were at my garage door this afternoon. How do they do that?
That makes sending it back when they send you the wrong items much faster. Over and Over again! That's my experience with the Tire Rack. I was surprised at how fast I got it and surprised at how fast I had to send it back.

They got this order correct, and only once out of hundreds of orders have I had to return anything.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/24/11 12:03 p.m.

yep, Im right near the Delaware distribution center so pre lunch orders are always next day. Never an issue with an order either.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2KcTEF6eM8u1ZrOxiNPKIyLRXFA0IsiO7EN03dIuoHSJMZZzxE4N269fr5cwm5QC