1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/26/15 1:26 p.m.

I'm trying to decide what is the best route to go with tires for my '95 Maxima. I know the first set doesn't count toward the budget, but I don't really want to put $800+ worth of tires on a $2015 car. I'm guessing the final weight of the car will be around 3000 lbs, hopefully a little under. Obviously a V6 FWD, and I'm running 17x7 wheels. 235/45-17 fills up the wheel well pretty well, and is close to stock size diameter, and is the max I would want to go on a 7" rim. I know where I can find some used Continental track tires (225/50-17, but seem wider) for $150-200 for the set. Am I better off buying some nice Max Performance Summer tires instead? Are there any that won't break the bank? All advice welcome!

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
8/26/15 2:23 p.m.

Difference between used race tires or getting new street tires to me is that I can still drive on the street after the event with the street tires. They at least have some use to me. I don't make it to enough racing events with my challenge car to use actual race tires. Unless you plan to be top 5 I wouldn't bother with race tires. Bonus with street tires is if we end up autocrossing in the rain.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
8/26/15 2:52 p.m.

You can get an RS3 in that 235/45/17 size for approximately $150.00. They are sticky and you can drive on them after the challenge. They will probably be faster then a set of old race tires as well. The current crop of extreme performance tires are super impressive.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/26/15 2:53 p.m.

So your car has a purpose after the Challenge? If you are not interested in going fast, just get whatever you need once the event is done.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
8/26/15 4:01 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: So your car has a purpose after the Challenge? If you are not interested in going fast, just get whatever you need once the event is done.

New Hoosier A7 for my current non running distant future challenge car current wheels would run 1,658.60 before shipping on tirerack. At some point everyone has their limit on how fast they "need" to go. Especially when it is a challenge only car that will never see another event because of classing.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/26/15 6:45 p.m.

Ok, so some of you were helpful, thanks guys. I guess I will check into some good street tires and see what I can find. Any other good recommendations for budget friendly yet still sticky street tires?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/26/15 6:47 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I assume you mean Hankook Ventus RS-3?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/26/15 6:52 p.m.
WillrunifChased wrote:
alfadriver wrote: So your car has a purpose after the Challenge? If you are not interested in going fast, just get whatever you need once the event is done.
New Hoosier A7 for my current non running distant future challenge car current wheels would run 1,658.60 before shipping on tirerack. At some point everyone has their limit on how fast they "need" to go. Especially when it is a challenge only car that will never see another event because of classing.

There are more tires than Hoosiers. I can get V710's for less than $1000. G-Force R1s are slightly cheaper.

Then again, the car I made wasn't a one use car.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/15 7:10 p.m.

I bit the bullet earlier today and got used SM7s for my Challenge Miata. $250 shipped was a hit but I already have some E36 M3ty street tires for it.

Stampie

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased Reader
8/26/15 7:10 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Now we are off topic but neither of them make a 345/35-18. I don't want to look like the stance crowd with my stretched 335's.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/15 8:55 p.m.

for my "first 4 free" i compromised with NT01's because of a few reasons. they're r-comps, sticky, but can handle a couple street miles(probably hit a few cruise nights here and there to show off my junk), are Z rated because i'm planning to run the ohio mile in the spring, and they were just under $400 shipped for the set of 4(i have 14's and a light car, ymmv there). then i went to CL and picked up some cheap used drag slicks.

i'm not hardcore autocross guy. i've actually never been although the intention has been there for years. i keep breaking crap or having kids. therefore i did not want some brand new straight up slicks that would do crap for me otherwise. if i thought they might be the difference between winning and 10th place i might reconsider, but until i compete i have no clue what the car is going to do.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
8/26/15 11:11 p.m.

Yep the Hankook RS3s. You can also look at the Starspec ZII's they are around the same price as well.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/27/15 6:37 a.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Now we are off topic but neither of them make a 345/35-18. I don't want to look like the stance crowd with my stretched 335's.

To me, information like that is fed into the choice of car.

For the OP's car- 17" rims are not going to be that cheap of tire, regardless. Maybe a 16" rim would be a better choice, since this is a budget challenge.

It's all a matter of choice.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/27/15 1:39 p.m.

The 17's came with the car, and I love how they look, so I'll take a little hit to keep them.

Any opinions on Nitto NT-05's? They're $140 each on Discount Tire plus have a $75 rebate on a set of four. 200 treadwear, which I assume is going to be the ballpark I'm looking for. I was re-reading the tire test in the June issue of the mag, and most of those are out of my price range, or not offered in the size I want. Any recommendations on other possible sizes? Stock size is 205/65-15, so 235/45-17 is close to the stock overall diameter, but I could also do a 225/50 or 225/45 without much issue I think. Thoughts?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
8/27/15 2:14 p.m.

I just ordered a set of 245/40/17 RS3's they were $148.00 a piece shipped.

No experience with the Nittos.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/15 3:20 p.m.

7in wide wheel - 225s.

Hit me up on FB if you want a hand wrenching on anything or help eating pizza or wings

I'm working in NN but live in VB.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/27/15 7:04 p.m.

Thanks for the input guys.

What would be my best bet...225/50(larger overall than original), or 225/45(smaller overall than original). Smaller will give a little better acceleration for the autocross, I presume, but will it hurt my drag top speed enough to worry about it? I think there are more/better options in a 225/45.

flatlander937
8/27/15 7:10 p.m.

Use this year ratio calculator to see if it really matters at all:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Ignore the t-case and under drive stuff. And the low range readings. You can use different setups side by side.

Assuming there are no 2nd gear shifts before 60mph and if you can reach 95mph before shifting to 4th you should be golden for a 1/4mi IMO if you're close to stock.

I'd personally choose tires based on compound first. Meaning RE71R or Rival-S.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
8/27/15 7:36 p.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

Go with the 45 series.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/27/15 9:43 p.m.

Man, there are a lot of good tires in the 225/45 size! I should be able to find something good for a decent price I think. The original Rivals are on clearance for $113!

Oh, and Tony, I'll let you know if I need a hand. Or if I have some food for you to eat.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/28/15 1:14 p.m.

Anybody know anything about Federal tires? I can get the 595 (240 treadwear rating) for ~$70 each, and the 595 RS-R Racing (140 treadwear rating) for ~$95 each. A friend told me to look them up, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

595 RS-R

flatlander937
8/28/15 1:59 p.m.

A few people autocrossed in Cincy with the RS-R 140TW tires with decent success in their classes. Its a great tire for the $, just now illegal for SCCA street classes so not used much.

Perfect challenge tires!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/28/15 2:01 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
WillrunifChased wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Now we are off topic but neither of them make a 345/35-18. I don't want to look like the stance crowd with my stretched 335's.
To me, information like that is fed into the choice of car. For the OP's car- 17" rims are not going to be that cheap of tire, regardless. Maybe a 16" rim would be a better choice, since this is a budget challenge. It's all a matter of choice.

Priced 16s lately? 17s are cheaper.

Seth, if you have a 7" wheel, you need to be looking at 205s or 215s.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/28/15 2:02 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Anybody know anything about Federal tires? I can get the 595 (240 treadwear rating) for ~$70 each, and the 595 RS-R Racing (140 treadwear rating) for ~$95 each. A friend told me to look them up, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with them. 595 595 RS-R

RSR is a fast tire. I would run them if they were available in the size i run. not because i think they're faster than the RS3s i'm running, but because they're at least 90% as fast, at 60% of the price.

flatlander937
8/28/15 2:07 p.m.

Also IF your Maxima can fit 15s, I'd totally be down for purchasing some used Hankook Z214s off of you after the challenge if you can run a 23in tall tire... Which may be great for lowering COG and acceleration for the autocross. A-la street prepared style.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uGEhIbGZQmb1SI9db1hgAewX24Ft5gx5ytlaBdaWaTR9QCitQy8RloSodCtS76zS