AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/24/21 4:47 p.m.

Oh boy.

So I picked up a 4th gen F body for a good deal.  The tires on it are mismatched, old and worn out 275/40/17s on stock wheels.  We all know 17" performance tires are tough to find.  We all know 18s work better too.  Modern sizes and modern tires are a huge step up over their predecessors. 

I do lots of business with discount tire and always have for daily drivers on my truck, my wife's car, my in laws cars, etc.  I've bought 3 sets of tires from them in the last 12 months (one for a car I sold).  We all know everything is in "shortage" this year due to things beyond our control I don't want to discuss further.

So for my Subaru I got tires on fleabay and had them installed at my local discount tire.  I've done this a few times for my various hobby cars.  I always find what I want on ebay at lower prices and it gets here quick.  I did order from tirerack a few times and the local "recommended" installer was nice, but I can probably never forgive the incorrect mileage they put on the Carfax for my 911.  That definitely cost me money.  Not to mention they obviously airgun the lug nuts to some insane torque.  So not sure I can use Tire rack anymore. 

So my local discount tire has always been good to me.  I decided to throw them some more business and get new tires on the F body.  I picked up a set of OEM new old stock C6 Corvette front 18x9.5s with a 10mm more aggressive offset, which should be perfect.  I wanted 275/35/18s.  I started looking at supply and prices online and found several sets of Falken FK510s for just over $600 on eBay and online at various shops (this was a week ago).  Prices look to  about $700 to $750 a set today.  I asked if they price match and they do.  Well Friday the 14th when I ordered these tires they were $156 at Wal Mart.  They entered the order based on that and said the tires would be in early the next week.  Well no calls, no texts, no tires no nothing.  That's odd.  I stopped by the store last Friday no tires should be here Saturday.  No call, no nothing.  I called today.  They looked up my info and "something was wrong"  they needed to get the tech that made the sale.  So I went on hold for 10 min.  Well the shop is less than 10 min from the house.  So I head there.... then the search commences.  No tires.... and wait for it.... NO ORDER.  Yep the order is "missing" from the system.  Clearly someone did not like the price match pricing and canceled the order.  No phone call, no e mail, no text, just order canceled.  Cancel culture has hit tire orders. Oh did I mention I prepaid?  They got my money; I have nothing. 

So the tech re-ordered the tires today and apologized.  I don't think he did anything wrong.  We will see if the tires ever arrive. 

It looks like I should keep throwing business at simple tire and 1010tires on eBay when I see bargains and get them installed locally.  The same for wheels.  I can find what I want on eBay new in the box at better price and get it to my house faster.  Try finding wheels to fit a 4th gen Camaro on any of the traditional tire store websites is an exercise in futility. 

I probably should just order RS-4s straight from Hankook take the beating on the price and get the perfect tire for my intended uses anyway.  If this order doesn't complete, I may go that route even though it's going to cost me about $400 more for the full set.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/24/21 5:25 p.m.

You know you can order from Tire Rack and have them shipped directly to you, right? Then have whatever shop you trust mount them for you.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/21 5:32 p.m.
dps214 said:

You know you can order from Tire Rack and have them shipped directly to you, right? Then have whatever shop you trust mount them for you.

This is by far the easiest way to do it IMHO.

(assuming you don't have UPS/etc delivery issues, at least)

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/21 5:46 p.m.

Or spend the money on a set of machines and never have to worry about crappy tire shops again. 

I've saved or made enough money off of my machines to more than pay for themselves. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/21 5:53 p.m.

FWIW: The one set I ordered from Tire Rack and had delivered directly to my house wound up in UPS purgatory for a couple weeks. That was at the height of the shipstorm last summer though.

Our local Tire Rack installer is Wheel Works. They have been pretty good for the 3-4 sets I've had them install. The only problem I've had is that I assumed that when the tires arrived they'd call me to schedule installation. That's been hit of miss. I just call them when I order the tires now.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
5/24/21 6:17 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

If you have constructive solutions, there is an unlimited market for you to make as much money as you want in tires right now.  Or you can just complain more. 

5/24/21 7:40 p.m.
Driven5 said:

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

If you have constructive solutions, there is an unlimited market for you to make as much money as you want in tires right now.  Or you can just complain more. 

I have plenty of solutions for this problem but the world isn't ready for them.  Constructive solutions only work if the actors are WILLING and able to act on them.  The WILL to act is currently lacking.  

That's all I'm going to say about that.  

And this isn't a shipping issue.  The TIRES NEVER SHIPPED because the order was CANCELED after the took my MONEY.  

Thanks for taking a comment about shipping and misapplying it.  That's helpful.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/24/21 8:25 p.m.

I'm driving to South Bend and having TR put on my truck tires.  I'll sneak out on a "sales call".   

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
5/24/21 9:45 p.m.

Right... Because when you complain to the internet about companies screwing up, it's totally different than when other people do it. LOL

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/21 10:20 p.m.

I have found Amazon the best place to get tires and I make sure that the are from a prime seller. At my door in 1-2 days every time. I ordered a set of hankook for my Merc about a month ago with no issue and it was $50 less per tire than any other on line seller. And with prime I can return them if there is a problem at no cost.  

5/25/21 12:06 a.m.
Driven5 said:

Right... Because when you complain to the internet about companies screwing up, it's totally different than when other people do it. LOL

So trolling again.  Let's play your silly game one last time and maybe you can respond with something substantive.

1). If you cancel a customers order after taking their money have the courtesy to call, e-mail or text them.  

2). Don't leave the customer on hold because there is a screw up and you don't want to discuss it.  If you're busy say so and call them back.  

None of that has anything to do with shipping.  But you weren't replying in order to have an honest discussion on the first place.  

You have zero clue what the tech and manager at the store and I discussed including the above.  I did say stay tuned as they may still make this right.  

And FYI Fed Ex will actually ban bad drivers and pull contracts from bad contractors if you follow through o ln delivery issues.  They particularly listen to companies and high volume customers.  They don't take kindly to bad apples tarnishing their reputation.  UPS is a union shop, and I don't know how any of their processes work. And too many car parts on Amazon are cheap Chinese knock offs, not sure if that effects tires.  

Toyman01 + Sized and
5/25/21 7:18 a.m.

That's my biggest issue with tire centers. One day they will be great. The next visit they will have a new service writer and they will suck. 

There is a Firestone a mile from my house that I used to mount race tires. They were slow, but they got the job done. I walked in one day and there was a new guy behind the counter. I told him I needed 4 Hoosiers mounted and balanced. He asked what size tire and what car. I told him and he responded that they couldn't mount them because they weren't the correct size for the car. I explained race cars, race wheels, and race slicks, not street legal or street driven. Still no deal. I asked to speak to the manager. He was the new manager. 

I ordered a tire machine and balancer that week. It's faster and more convenient for me. Tires come from wherever I want and are delivered to the house. I can have them mounted and balanced faster than taking the car or wheels to the tire shop. No issues with orders not being placed or poor communication and I know the work is done correctly. 

Hope they can make this right and get your order straight. 

Opti
Opti Dork
5/25/21 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Unfortunately that may not be his call. Its frustrating and its happened to me, so I get it, but I also get why they do it like this. Too many times people will say something like "its fine if something happens I wont give you a hard time" "No i want it like that, Ill sign something to saying that" "come on just help me out" and when it goes wrong, they are back in there trying to sue the company or raising hell, until they get their money back, free replacement or whatever their after.

In college I worked at pepboys and we were directed to turn a 2 tire sale away if they wouldnt let us put them on the rear axle. Someone had got sued and now it was a zero tolerance policy

Toyman01 + Sized and
5/25/21 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

It's the unfortunate price we pay for living in a litigious society. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/21 9:18 a.m.

I just looked up the tires I got and the price per tire has gone up to $27/tire.

Tires I got for the rear of my Merc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KKWU908/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
5/25/21 9:30 a.m.

Ok, sure. I'll give more consideration to you being able to play with your toy than you gave me being able to keep my home/family warm...

1) A company took my money for a service they did not provide, and no effort was put forth to warn me or make it right without considerable additional effort (including prolonged hold times) on my part.

2) A company took your money for goods they did not provide, and no effort was put forth to warn you or make it right without considerable additional effort (including prolonged hold times) on your part.

...Not to mention that you might at least still get the goods you originally paid for, since the service of timeliness wasn't a paid part of your transaction. When timeliness is one of the (key) items being explicitly paid for, there is no known way to go back and get it provided after-the-fact. 

Regardless though, what the particular good/service was is entirely irrelevant beyond your own self-serving bias. You were completely dismissive of item (1) and then ironically proceeded to start a thread all about item (2), despite it fundamentally being no different. For whatever it matters that you brought it up, you similarly had/have zero clue what I discussed with the various CS reps and shipping manager at the 2 companies I had to deal with and coordinate between either.

You talk about companies eliminating employees who violate policies, considering (primarily large) customer feedback, and trying to protect their reputation as if FedEx is the only one who does those too. Actually, if FedEx cared as much about their reputation as you seem to put them up on a pedestal for, they would not be profitable as a major corporation. At the executive decision level, being great is not the ultimate goal. Making money is. While telling their employees, customers, and potential customers how great they are (trying to be) the ultimate decisions they make are actually only trying to be just barely good enough to maximize profitability for their shareholders. The bigger the corporation, the more actuarial type statisticians they'll have at the corporate offices to help them determine how to balance the bottom line cost that would be required to provide their good/service at a 100% level vs  where they want to be at vs wherever they are currently at.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/25/21 10:05 a.m.

My "go to" for tires is www.tirebuyer.com  This is the retail arm of American Tire Distributors (ATD).  Interesting note, if you have the tires sent to the installer, they often arrive on a ATD truck.  These are the trucks that deliver tires to many shops, including Walmart.  The tires I buy come with 2yr road hazard included.  They offer military, first responder and teacher discounts.  

The Falkens listed above in this thread are priced at $198 each with $80 instant off 4 ($198-$20 = $178)  As a first time buyer they might offer another 7-10% off.  If 10% off then $165 to $160 each.  

I have often done discount combining like the time I bought tires for wife's Grand Caravan...
[They] had the 80k mile Continentals at a good (normal) price of $139 each.  They had a $75 rebate through 6-30.  On Monday 6-29 Tirebuyer sent me a 7% off anything offer for 4th of July.  This gave me a 2 day overlap of rebate and discount which brought them down to a net price of $112 each.  That made the long lasting tires from a major brand at or less than the "off-brands" and lesser wear models.

I have called them on the 800 number before too.  The operators/sales people do seem to have some discounting capability if that's what it takes to complete the sale. 

The closest installers to my house have gone to high prices via the site, like $29 per tire.  I figure the shops don't like loosing the profitable tire sale.  I typically have the tires shipped to me and then I take them to "my guy."  

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/25/21 10:54 a.m.

It's a global pandemic people get used to it. Wife and I have been waiting for a couch for three months. Patio furniture for six. Costco lost our shipments several times and my wife took three different days off work to meet deliveries that never showed and cancelled the order. 

First. World. Problems. People are dying out there. Still. The pandemic isn't "over". 

5/27/21 9:12 p.m.

I've bought from tire buyer before.  They are good.  If I ever have a big shop, I will probably get a tire machine too.  

Discount tire did awesome!  Seriously above and beyond.  If you want the details you can check my build thread, or not.  Heck not even sure I want to detail it all.  4th gen F bodies have their surprises for sure.  In all my Mustangs, I never got surprised like this.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/21 9:22 p.m.

Glad it worked out for you.  I have a feeling you're like me and feel that you expect the same level of customer service that you give as to what you receive.  It's a tough world realizing others don't give a E36 M3 as much as you.

5/27/21 10:18 p.m.
Stampie said:

Glad it worked out for you.  I have a feeling you're like me and feel that you expect the same level of customer service that you give as to what you receive.  It's a tough world realizing others don't give a E36 M3 as much as you.

Well my local discount tire guys will probably get some kolaches or tacos soon.  They did awesome and I have an oddball 4th gen F body issue to resolve.  

Our Preferred Partners
JGtHiOBu94p7LJooMAdFr21rFHtbjIwLUKto42SJJmqVDOM5n9KGmYtyxIEMgIBX