pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 12:59 p.m.

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma with the tires for my Fiesta. When in H stock, I ran the RE-71 and Rival S. I preferred the feel of the Bridgestones. I purchased lighter wheels in 16 inch diameter and kept running the same tires in 205 or 215. Now that I am in STH, I wanted to get some more width and went with a 225 RE-71.  The bad news is that they are a 50-series and simply too large diameter. (25") I have to raise the coil-overs for clearance and they can rub the bodywork under high G-loads. 

Option #1 is to keep running 2:15 on the 16 inch wheel. (24" diam) This is straight forward, affordable, and other people in fiestas are much faster on this setup so I know there's no loss in performance if I could drive the car more better.

Option #2 is to purchase 15 inch wheels so I can run a 225 tire without rubbing Iand having the CG lower to the ground. (23" diam) Maybe the extra width and lower ride would help me go a little faster?

Option #3 is to purchase some 9 inch wide wheels in a 15 inch diameter, slap on some slicks and go for it. I see EG Civics and SM Miatas on really fat wheels, maybe I should join the club? 

WWGRMD?

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/29/20 1:10 p.m.

Only do option 3 if you really want to inspect the undercarriage by rolling it.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
5/29/20 1:15 p.m.

KyAllroad beat me to the punch. Do not over-tire a Fiesta in autox. You WILL end up on your roof.

To answer your question: option 1 until you can match the speed of those faster people.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
5/29/20 1:19 p.m.

There is a 245 section 15" Rival that I ran on the front of my Mini for years.  It was the only 200TW tire wide enough for a 9" front wheel without a stretch.  The only real negative was the smaller diameter lowered my 2nd gear top speed.  I ran 205s or 225s in the rear and used the difference in front/rear grip for oversteer instead of relying on lifting a tire with a big sway bar.

Are your lower spring mounts for your front coilovers above the height of the tire?  That was the difference between an 8" wheel and a 9" wheel on my car.  With the spring out of the way, I only had to add spacers to stop the tire from contacting the strut housing.  I don't know much about Fiestas but I have heard that wider tires require a bunch of work that may not be ST legal.

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/29/20 1:38 p.m.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but might be useful or interesting to you and your ponderings.

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/yokohama-advan-a052-test-which-is-better-fatter-or-skinnier/

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 1:46 p.m.

I think typing the question cemented the answer in my head. Incremental width increases are not going to make a difference to someone at my level. I do think that lowering the car will allow me to make better use of the coil overs and the FiST could use all the CG lowering it can get.

I re-read the GRM article on Falken 660s, and placed an order for (4) 205/40-16. 205 and 215 have the same section width, but the 205 is down to almost 22" diam. That lowers the car 3" on tire alone, plus I can drop the suspension too. They are a great price and I had good luck with Falken in the past. Whatever minor differences there are in performance will be lost on me anyway LOL.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1xjcMVXyZ8siwKCV2NCVGTODNoze9P9ttWWdawDOY11JirgqO5M11RnGfZrqsb6