DerangedPony
DerangedPony
3/19/12 11:22 p.m.

This is going to be my first year in Autocross and I need a little help with my tire selection. I have a 07 Focus ST and I sold my stock, heavy 16in wheels for a set of the lightest stock 15s (I'm going to start in H-stock). Most importantly, what would be the best size tire to run on these 15x6'' wheels? I was thinking 205/50r15?

Also, any tire recommendations for Daily Driver/Autocross? My first year I'm not going to sink the money in for a dedicated set of wheel/tires so I need something that would be have way decent during autocross but still be good on the road and have some life (I don't need all-season, I have snow tires). I know there are no tires that will be great at both, just something for me to learn on and I have a budget, so something inexpensive (Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Yokohama S.drive, etc). Thank you for any help.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/20/12 12:06 a.m.

I'd suggest the 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus R-S3. I run those on the 15x6's on my Porsche 944 and love them for autocross and normal driving.

As an aside, you'll be able to run the street tire version of H-Stock.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
3/20/12 5:34 a.m.

Wait...don't you have to keep stock wheel diameter for Stock classes for your trim level? Although I am certain no one would protest that on a first-timer...just asking for clarification.

DerangedPony
DerangedPony New Reader
3/20/12 8:02 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: Wait...don't you have to keep stock wheel diameter for Stock classes for your trim level? Although I am certain no one would protest that on a first-timer...just asking for clarification.

Did you mean tire diameter? If so, from what I understood, you can run any tire size as long as it fits on the stock wheel.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
3/20/12 8:16 a.m.

The ST did not come on 15s...only 16s IIRC.

The car to be "legal" would need to keep the OE size wheels, unless the smaller wheels in this case, were an option. That said, I doubt anyone at a local level would care unless you start winning, or beating people for year-end places (trophies).

On a Focus, a 205/50-15 works well. Or a 215/45-16. 225s will pinch in a "street tire" on a 6" wheel. I think something like a Hankook V12 or a Kumho SPT would be a good all-around (inexpensive) tire...maybe even a Federal 595 as well. I have experience with the Kumhos for one event..was able to make a Mazda6 (HS) beat a well-driven Mini on XSs. They are also quite good in the wet.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/12 8:31 a.m.

I vote 205/50/15 Starspecs.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/20/12 8:40 a.m.

205/50 StarSpecs, but you won't be in "stock" anymore.

DerangedPony
DerangedPony New Reader
3/20/12 8:46 a.m.

I see, thanks for the info. I thought as long as my model (Ford Focus ZX4) came with that wheel size, I would be ok. I didn't think about the ST part.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/12 1:45 p.m.

I would recommend against 17" 225s on a Focus. The fronts rubbed on my car. I got the fenders rolled and they still rubbed. Wasted money on rubber and fenders.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/20/12 2:00 p.m.

I haven't autox'd in several years, but I don't think the theories have changed. If this is going to be your very first experience in any type of autox, I'm going to suggest that you don't sink too much money into a higher end tire, and go with a good budget "performance" tire. Something like the DZ101 you mentioned.

You need to learn the basics first of looking ahead, hitting the apex, and car control. That's best done on a moderately sticky tire. Gumballs will let you get away with bad habits that you don't want to develop.

DerangedPony
DerangedPony New Reader
3/21/12 5:14 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I haven't autox'd in several years, but I don't think the theories have changed. If this is going to be your very first experience in any type of autox, I'm going to suggest that you don't sink too much money into a higher end tire, and go with a good budget "performance" tire. Something like the DZ101 you mentioned. You need to learn the basics first of looking ahead, hitting the apex, and car control. That's best done on a moderately sticky tire. Gumballs will let you get away with bad habits that you don't want to develop.

Thank you for the info. and I think I will go that route. Before I drop the money, I should learn how to drive and make sure I even like to Autocross. Also, the DZ101s are very inexpensive ($68 each for 205/50r15). Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mT4GiG5XUvT5e3Vxkd3RcZtMe38dn37c2f7226DgTEUVJC6Kcz8hl96n0XeHzaRA