AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/22 8:27 p.m.

Okay so I have an idea for a tire test I have never seen before.  As GRM enthusiasts a lot of us are on budgets but still want to go fast.  Many of us want autoX tires or HPDE tires that last a season or more.  Most tire tests use brand new freshly mounted tires.  While that's nice, which tires are best after a season?  Two seasons?  How do high performance tires fare with age?  I realize new tires are best, but are the best tires new still the best after some age and hard use?  

I had another idea for another unique test, but I can't remember it right now.....  I've been thinking about this for months.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
8/31/22 6:08 a.m.

That information is great to know, especially when running on a budget as you said.  The obstacle to having data like that is the larger number of variables involved in testing a "used" tire vs a sticker.  What kind of car were they on?  Alignment?  Rotated after events?  Weather at each event?  Surface construction and temp at each event?  Weight of vehicle?  Etc...  I can tell you how 200TW tires wear on our Cressida, but it may not mean diddly squat for the next person.  

You've been thinking about this for months?  Let me pull up a couch for you.  I'll listen.  $50/hour.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/22 6:42 a.m.

I agree, there are just so many variables. I take my tires off the car between events, store them in trash bags on a rack. They get rotated each time they go back on the car. Other people may only own one set and daily on them.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/31/22 8:20 a.m.

I agree that it would be great information to have. 

Here are a couple of data points that might be of interest:

Car 1 - NC Miata, 245/40 Hankook RS4, installed May 2022

Car 2 - ND Miata, 245/40 Yokohama A052 installed May 2022

The NC Miata is +100 lbs with drivers 

The alignments are similar and tire temperature is relatively even across the tires after track sessions

The cars have run the same tracks in 2022 with the NC having one more full track day - lap times are within .5 seconds of each other at Gingerman Raceway and Barber Motorsports Park

The cars have run 4 autocross events this year

NC Miata track time 8.3 hours and about 625 miles plus another 3800 road miles

ND Miata track time 6.7 hours and about 500 miles plus under 1000 road miles (gets trailered to many events).

At this point in the season the NC tires are at 6/32" tread remaining and they start life at 8.9/32" for a total wear of 2.9/32"

At this point in the season the ND tires are at 2/32" tread remaining and they start life at 7/32" for a total wear of 5/32"

Based on this, I expect that I will get another season from the RS4 (although they may slow down due to heat cycling?) while my buddy and his ND will be getting new tires again in 2023.

Of course YMMV :)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/22 2:37 p.m.

Yeah, lots of variables, but we have some info that might help.

Go check out our Ultimate track tire guide | 200tw, 100tw, street-legal track and R-comps and scroll down to the chart. It grades tires for wear. 

8/31/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yes but that's still new tires.  If used the tires for a year or two and reran the test, you'd have the test I'm after.  I expect the best tire may not be the best after age and use, but there is only one way to know.

8/31/22 7:12 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Hard pass.  At $50/hr I can do the test myself.  Also I don't pay people to listen. And no one would survive the hour anyway.  If I'm paying anyone to listen, I'm going to annihilate their mind for fun. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/22 12:05 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I hear you, but a lotta variables regarding storage, driving style, track surface, etc.

An Easy Button, perhaps: RS4s wear like iron, and I'm getting a ton of life out of my RT660s.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/22 12:18 p.m.

A meaningful test might be heat cycles. Test the tires when new, then run them through a certain number of heat cycles and test them again. I've had a few sets of tires heat cycle out while still having lots of tread depth. RE71 and Falken RT215 for example. Meanwhile, one of the things that made the RA1 a legend was its complete disregard for heat cycling. They'd grip until they corded, no matter what.

If you want to know what lasts longest for actual wear, talk to Lemons racers. They know.

Our Preferred Partners
sMkpyPqPxKby070iQGsggud6MTAMeGv56QbviEBW6lKBVhei5Y8DynfP6ihFtXBB