AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/11/21 11:21 p.m.

It's the age old question.  I'm weighing tire options for my newly acquired 4th gen F body.  The tires on it are old mismatched and terrible.  The car stock is an SS so it has 17x9 or 9.5 inch wheels and wears 275/40/17s.  I may buy some Corvette front wheels (set of 4) and upgrade to 18x9.5s with the same offset. 

I really want a set of tires that does it all.  Figure the car will do 2-3 autocrosses a year and maybe one TNIA a year or something along those lines.  It might even see a dragstrip once a year, and it'll be driven on nice days to enjoy the V8 rumble. 

Rallycrossing.... I'm going for a full season there so that limits times to take this car out and use it in anger.  Mileage will only be 3000 or so miles a year total.

Do I get tires for the 17s and not worry about going 18?  Do I get the tires taken off the 17s and store the wheels and buy 18s?  Which tire do you go with?  Falken FK510, Firestone Firehawks, Conti ECS, Michelin 4S (big money here), or go with something more hardcore like the Hankook RS-4 (can get in 255/40/18) or the Falken 615?  I'm not looking to be the TNIA hero, drag race hero, or next CAM champion, but I don't want tires that suck at everything either. 

I have Conti ECS on the Boxster and they are quite nice.  The Subaru got Potenza S007s and they seem okay for that (they were way cheaper than RE71s on closeout, and I'm not that good of a driver).  What should I do on the F car? 

I can get new Corvette Z06 fronts in 18x9.5 (C7) in grey for a decent price.  It's expensive, but they would look incredible.  Will an 18" tire offer that much more selection and performance?  It would probably update the look of the car a lot.  It'll also give me new wheels and we all know wheels are consumables too.  The originals have 183k miles on them. 

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/12/21 7:07 a.m.

JG did a really good tire comparison that I think is still available on YouTube.  Take a look it might help you.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/12/21 7:59 a.m.

Good tires in 275/40-17 are fairly rare these days. Stepping up to 18s will give you more selection, but I totally get not wanting to spend the extra money. And you don't want to go any smaller on tires--you want to go bigger. Fourth gens need all the tire they can get.

That said, if you do buy new wheels, get some cheap 18x11 factory replicas. That car will fit 315s on all four corners with only minor mods.

Source: owned/ran ESP-prepped 99 Z28 for the better part of 10 years.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/12/21 8:55 a.m.

I got nothing on rallycross tires, but Azenis RT 615k+ seems to be getting good reviews.   I went down to 255/40/17 on my mustang 17x9 setup a few years ago to get Hankooks.

You might be best served by having 200TW tires on one set of wheels and some snow/rain tires on another set for rallyx and some street duty and swapping back and forth honestly.  18's would give you more options for the 200tw tires.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
5/12/21 10:12 a.m.

Falken 615ks are the right tire for that type of vehicle and what you're looking to do with it, and are one of the few options that exist in 275/17. Seems like the obvious easy choice.

As mentioned the correct choice is 18x11s and 315s...but that's a bit more expensive.

5/12/21 1:46 p.m.
dps214 said:

Falken 615ks are the right tire for that type of vehicle and what you're looking to do with it, and are one of the few options that exist in 275/17. Seems like the obvious easy choice.

As mentioned the correct choice is 18x11s and 315s...but that's a bit more expensive.

At $183 per tire they seem reasonable too in 17.  In 275/35/18 they are just over $200 a corner. I found a pretty solid deal on 4 new C6 Z06 front wheels in 18x9.5 too.  I could put DD tires on them or DD tires on the 17s.  I know 315s are the ultimate size all around, but finding wheels with the correct offsets doesn't seem to easy (most are running Corvette rears with pretty substatial spacers from what I can tell).  That may require custom wheels or fender rolling to get perfect. 

5/12/21 2:29 p.m.

The F body will never see rallycross for clarification.  I do that in the Subaru.  Because rallycross takes up a lot of my "car event" time the F body will see limited events.  It'll only be used for 2-3 events a year realistically.  Since I'm chasing a more competitive (going to get my plastic trophy in Rallycross), I don't need to be a the pointy end of CAM on the F car.  That was sorta my point, which clearly did not get through to the readers.  For that reason I'm not sure I need 315s or 200 TW tires.  I don't want to have tires that will die after one autoX or one HPDE though, because that would be financially undesireable. 

Well I just accepted a new job, so as a treat to myself I bought the Z06 wheels.  I'm going square 18x9.5 with the correct +50 offset.  This keeps me from needing spacers and keeps tire diameter and width the same.  Now I need tires for these wheels and perhaps a set for the 17s too. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/12/21 8:31 p.m.

Sounds like you don't necessarily want a 200TW tire then. If so, ECS, Firestone Indy 500 or the Michelins are what you want. If you really want to spend the money the Michelins are #1, but in both wet and dry grip the ECS sounds better than the Indy 500. But the Indy 500 is still pretty good. My use will be about the same as yours on my IROC-Z (17x9) and I'm getting the ECS as soon as I get past property taxes next month (they're really high where I live). I don't hear about any of those 3 chunking and destroying themselves when you try to have fun like cheap 340TWs do.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/12/21 8:47 p.m.

In my experience, 615s will hold up better to auto x usage than an "ultra high performance" tire. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/12/21 9:00 p.m.

How much rain do you think you're going to see, Anthony?

5/13/21 12:47 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

How much rain do you think you're going to see, Anthony?

It's TX.  Very little.  I have daily drivers for rainy days.  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
5/13/21 10:27 a.m.

Hmm, if you're not looking at much rain and you have another set of wheels and tires you might be better off with a 200TW on the 18s.

5/13/21 12:57 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Hmm, if you're not looking at much rain and you have another set of wheels and tires you might be better off with a 200TW on the 18s.

I think you might be right.  I'm sensing some Falken 615s in my near future.  On tirerack right now 275s are just over $200, but 265s are on sale for $166...... that is tempting. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/13/21 1:13 p.m.

I would like to cast another vote for the RT615K as the correct "200TW that is less competitive but also doesn't melt with regular usage" choice.

5/13/21 8:27 p.m.

The RT615K in 265 at the awesome price will not arrive until mid August....  I guess I can buy 275s for much more or keep searching for tires.  The new wheels will be here Saturday.  And I made some great progress on the car today.  It will be ready for events way sooner than I imagined. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/20/21 3:37 p.m.

The wheels arrived.  Instead of waiting 2-3 months to get RT615s, I ordered a set of Falken FK510s which should be here tomorrow.  Discount tire price matched Wal Mart which had them on special.  I saved $40 per tire.  Given TX is turning into a swamp again, I may need more tread. 

Our Preferred Partners
AMf5xxERueI4sby3NoL39nNLWTK6hMwgkgU4Rwgr5mxmbdXjlHHaRmp6CKskdItB