1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
9/8/10 3:33 p.m.

All right everyone, I need some help here. I have a 1964 Corvair convertible. Its an occassional driver, and I do take it on some longer trips. Really fun car. However, I am running into a problem. The stock wheels (steel, with hubcaps, the whole 1964 deal) are 13", and NO ONE sells a tire that will fit my criteria. For me, this means:

-Radial. Coker makes bias plies that will fit, but, really, bias plies? Plus, they are mega bux. -Either a 165, 175, or 185 width. It is currently wearing 185/80R13, which are about perfect size. The stock tires were 610-13 bias plies, which equates out to about a 175/75R13. 185 is about as wide as you can go on the stock wheels -Really, really would prefer whitewalls. Right now, I only need two new tires, and the ones on their now are whitewalls. Plus, its a 60's car. It NEEDS whitewalls! -A pretty high aspect ratio. At least a 70 for 185mm wide tires, or 75 for anything narrower.

I've tried everywhere I can think of to find something that will fit. I have two bald tires now, so I need something pretty quick. Firestone used to make a tire that would fit, but they are on backorder everywhere I call with no planned shipments. Hankook made one, but its discontinued.

Another option I have is to upsize to 14" wheels, as I (luckily) have access to a set of 14" hubcaps that are identical to the 13" hubcaps currently on there. But this would require purchasing 4 new steel wheels, that the hubcaps will fit onto. And as the '64 uses a 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern, these wheels aren't exactly growing on trees.

Any thoughts, oh sage Grassrootians?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
9/8/10 3:49 p.m.

If you didn't need whitewalls, tire rack has 12 different tires in the 175/70-13 size. Look up tires for a Triumph spitfire. IIRC they start just below $50 a tire.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/8/10 3:50 p.m.

I actually just bought 4 tires for mine for $100.00. A car dealer in town had them on the shelf and was tired of them taking up space. I know this isn't much help, but I just thought I would share.

Also, 4 on 4.5 is very close to 4 on 100mm, I had some honda wheels on mine for a while with no issues other than they were too wide and rubbed like crazy.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
9/8/10 4:52 p.m.

IMO, if its a driver ditch the obsolete wheel and tire size and go with something more modern (185/60-14.195/60-15. or whatever fits) and leave the old wheels in the garage where they belong unless you want to put a set of bias ply whitewalls on them for show or whatever.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/8/10 4:59 p.m.

See here:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

I run 205/60/13 on my 64. Not stock but it looks pretty good and gives the care a bit of a lowered look (not what you are looking for I know).

The 4x100 are a pretty common swap.

volvoclearinghouse
9/8/10 5:07 p.m.
rustyvw wrote: I actually just bought 4 tires for mine for $100.00. A car dealer in town had them on the shelf and was tired of them taking up space. I know this isn't much help, but I just thought I would share. Also, 4 on 4.5 is very close to 4 on 100mm, I had some honda wheels on mine for a while with no issues other than they were too wide and rubbed like crazy.

Yeah, I've been hitting around to the indie tire dealers, but no one has the little 13s. Plus, I'd like to be able to get tires in the future if I get a flat. The funny thing is, I drove this Corvair cross country 3 years ago, had a flat, and had no problem buying a new replacement tire of the correct size, and whitewall. Its amazing that in 3 years these tires went from commonly available to "no way in hell can you get one". One tire shop guy told me that manufacturers are dropping the 13s like crazy.

175/70R13 is going to be little too small in diameter.

One guy in the local Corvair club bought a 280Z parts car just for those wheels. But, like I said, I'd like the hubcaps, and I don't know if they'll fit on the 4x100 japanese wheels. Anyone know?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/8/10 6:02 p.m.

4x100 is nowhere close. 4x114.3 is what you need. best move all the way around is to get a set of Konig Rewinds in 15x7 +0, with a 205/55 or 225/50 tire. you will be astounded at how good they look and how well it drives.

mw
mw HalfDork
9/8/10 7:30 p.m.

A friend of mine just bought a set of xxr 002's in 15x8 that fit his corvair perfectly. (4x114.3, 0 offset) They look pretty good too. They aren't the hubcap look you are going for, but still a good option. He's running 225/50/15's and they look and handle great. Also the wheels are cheap! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-8-XXR-002-Gold-Wheels-90-240sx-S13-Datsun-280zx-AE86-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a169a781QQitemZ290470864769QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

volvoclearinghouse
9/8/10 8:00 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: 4x100 is nowhere close. 4x114.3 is what you need. best move all the way around is to get a set of Konig Rewinds in 15x7 +0, with a 205/55 or 225/50 tire. you will be astounded at how good they look and how well it drives.

You're right, I did the maths, 114.3 is 4.5 times 25.4. Guess I had one too many mint juleps and took the 100mm for granted.

The Konig Rewinds look pretty sweet, and I will keep them in mind for my '63 autocross project, but my '64 I'm trying to keep as period as possible. I know that's perhaps not the purpose of GRM, perhaps I should have asked over at Classic M/S instead, but the traffic over here is more lively and I figured I might find what I'm looking for.

It looks like I may have to switch to 14" wheels to be able to get whitewall tires that'll work, now, can I find steelies with a 4x4.5 (4x114.3mm) bolt pattern that'll take my big, clunky, wire-wheel old-fashioned hubcaps?

volvoclearinghouse
9/8/10 8:02 p.m.

Might be time to hit the local pick n' pull with a 14" hubcap and a lug nut bolt pttern gauge in hand and see what fits.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/8/10 9:13 p.m.

Um... Minilites were being used in 1965 (and actually made specifically for the Corvair in 1966 or 67) and the very similar Rosepetal wheels on Minis were in use before that... it's difficult to get more 'period' than that... and Rewinds are a great match which I would not hesitate using... running them on the wife's E30 now.

I've seen SAAB 900 rims used on earlies (usually need a spacer) and as I recall, Datsun rims (240, 510, etc) are a good match offset wise. They aren't common out there, but they are around and I think they'd take a standard GM hubcap..

I run real Minilites (14x6.5 with 205/60HR14 tires) on my Stinger (I gave up on the original 13x6 when I could no longer get AVS Intermediate 205/60-13 tires)

On my wife's late Corvair (where she insists on the heavy factory mag hubcaps) I run 14x6 GM rims and the 14" Mag hubcaps with 205/65VR14 (NLA... I'll go to 205/60HR14's like the Stinger when I replace them)

I also have to add that Corvairs are extremely sensitive to unsprung weight... a Corvair with light alloy rims drives like a different car than one with factory steelies and hubcaps...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/10 10:09 p.m.

early nissan 240sx is 4x114.3 iirc, but with a more FWD-ish +40 offset.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/10 4:46 a.m.

Off-topic, but I really want a Corvair. . .

volvoclearinghouse
9/9/10 6:41 a.m.
ZOO wrote: Off-topic, but I really want a Corvair. . .

Go buy one. Seriously. "Late" 4 doors can be had for free and up, and pretty much anything that isn't a convertible or an FC can be had in "driver" condition for low, low 4 figures. Parts and support are available, other than these stupid 13" tires! I'd drive my '64 daily, except that the convertible top is not weathertight. So I have to make do with my '67 volvo amazon wagon. :-)

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/9/10 9:21 a.m.

Of all the vintage cars I've owned, Corvairs are by far the cheapest to buy and run on a daily basis. The reason Corvair guys tend to have more than one is that once you have one, you realize how undervalued they are in the market.

"Earlies" and "lates" both drive well, but lates ('65+) are better suited to daily use due to larger engines, terrific brakes, the full IRS rear, better rear wheel bearings, and the ability to use a standard 5x4.75 GM wheel.

Late 4 doors are relatively rare (only made '65-67), but as pointed out are the least expensive while sharing the same suspension, drivetrain, and hardtop design as the "sexier" 2 doors (at nearly the same weight)... if you a decent looking one it's less likely to have been beat on than a coupe... but even the coupes are fairly cheap with nice drivers around all the time for a $2000-$4000 or less.

And to "prep" a Corvair for "sporting" use is easy and cheap. More open exhaust, coil springs cut a coil (even in my track Stinger I use cut factory HD coils), good shocks, a nylon pitman arm bushing, a performance alignment, light wheels, and sticky tires.... and for track use a set of Kevlar shoes. I've never seen a car easier to "prep"... and none of these items detract from daily driver use.

Rust is the main worry... the cars are so cheap you should stay away from rusty ones.

Too bad they never made late wagons...

scooterfrog
scooterfrog New Reader
9/9/10 10:31 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: 4x100 is nowhere close. 4x114.3 is what you need. best move all the way around is to get a set of Konig Rewinds in 15x7 +0, with a 205/55 or 225/50 tire. you will be astounded at how good they look and how well it drives.

and that my friends is the size of the gen 4 and 5 accord. ( the last of the 4 bolt lug wheels)

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/9/10 11:16 a.m.

Lates use 5 x 4.75 GM wheels. Just correcting a typo.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/9/10 1:19 p.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: Lates use 5 x 4.75 GM wheels. Just correcting a typo.

ops; thanks! Corrected.

cemike2
cemike2 New Reader
9/9/10 1:41 p.m.

I have a 64 Corvair Convert that I got the 13" tires for from discount tires (IRRC). They're not white walls, but better that bald tires!

BTW, I'm selling the car if anyone is interested. $1700 OBO

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/10 3:50 p.m.

I don't know that I've ever seen a late four-door. Corvairs in general aren't as common up here, unless you count all the people with fleets :)

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
9/9/10 4:39 p.m.

Other than the rariety, the main issue with sedans is that so many are 2 carb (95/110) Powerglides... fine for a Sunday driver but not really what you want if you have sporting aspirations... though some folks do run them.

Here are a couple of Ebay sedans (both PG though): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Chevy-Corvair-/290472070399?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a17c0cff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corvair-Sedan-1965-/200517028916?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eafbf0c34

And at http://www.corvair.org/csaclads.php there are three late sedans for sale... two high end cars ($6000 and $6900, one with air) and one a particularly desirable '67 sedan (rare) with AC (also rare in '67). All sound like 110 PG cars though.

Swapping from PG to 4sp isn't difficult and can be done in a weekend, but you are best served to have a complete 4sp parts car to do it with...

volvoclearinghouse
9/9/10 5:16 p.m.

I bought a '63 2 door post car for scrap value, its complete, engine turns, and is a 4 speed car. Interior is trashed, but the body is pretty solid.

Only the late cars came with the 4 carb 140hp engine, and turbo cars are expensive, rare, and tempermental.

Yeah, I checked discount tire and found 13's, but again, no WSW. I guess I'm going to have to find some 14" steel rims that the hubcaps will work on.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
11/19/15 1:39 p.m.

Just found this bolt pattern cross ref tool. Doesn't list the Corvair (which is 4 x 4.5 or 114.3, for the earlies) but is giving me some ideas...

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=4&StudSpreadInch=4.5&StudSpreadMM=

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
11/19/15 1:55 p.m.

Get 14" steelies from someone like Diamond or Bassett and the hubcaps should work, assuming they're full caps ,not dog dishes.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
11/19/15 1:59 p.m.

Or, build your own. Years ago , I cut the centers from a set of 14" Dodge Rampage wheels and welded them into some 14x7 GM rims. I needed 4x100, but you could do it with Accord centers. If the Accord rims are wide enough for your needs, just cut the centers out and re-weld them at the offset you want.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GCoGwVfDO3tacgGLq6bKH72AQ5ed6c1EmRZSMoROEKQFGbUToeD4grWnoqFVUPrC