1 2 3
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/9/15 7:52 a.m.

The door metal is visible on the inside of the truck and behind the seat is also green, so I know it is the original color, just not positive it has been resprayed, but I really don't see evidence of it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/9/15 1:31 p.m.

Rust spot on hood:

Chipped paint on battery door:

Chipped paint on what should be chrome bumper, but painted at some point in its life:

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
5/9/15 7:02 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I have seen this truck in person, and it is so damn cool just the way it is. I'd say tend to the rust and use the thing as it is. I love old trucks that still get used as trucks!

This x 1000

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/9/15 7:12 p.m.

Aussie actually drove this truck a few years ago.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/9/15 8:53 p.m.

I wonder if a good body shop could mix up some single stage paint that matches well enough to look better than the damage and touch that up.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 11:13 p.m.

Ya I would look at just touching that up Chris. That is not even rust compared to a couple of my cars. that is merely a paint defect.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
5/10/15 6:30 a.m.

John Deer green with a little kermit the frog mixed in.

imgon
imgon New Reader
5/10/15 6:31 a.m.

I am with the others in saying touch up the problem areas and keep using it as a truck, it is waaaay cooler than everyone else's hauler around here. You have the RX7 as your nice car and that IS nice. Try Kingston Auto Body off RT 27 near the fire station, the guys there do good work. They can tell you if they can blend in a touch up or if it would need more. The owner is good about telling you like it is, if he thinks it can be done they can do it. If he thinks it is a bad idea, he'll tell you. They pulled the frame and hung a fender on my RX7 so they will work on older stuff. The exhaust is easy, we have friends that have lifts and it would be an afternoon project to replace that. Plus if you turn it into a trailer queen you'll be welcomed at the cruise in's and won't have to explain yourself!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/10/15 9:42 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'd drive it just like it is.

This. Fix the exhaust, touch up that hood spot, shoot some clear bedliner and keep on hummin'.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/10/15 1:05 p.m.

Cool truck, I didn't know they existed.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
5/10/15 2:24 p.m.

Nice driver over perfection any day. I own both. Guess which i enjoy more?

And id call the damage patina. Leave it the hell alone and enjoy.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
5/10/15 4:48 p.m.

How many of us after reading this thread spent the next 20 minutes looking for REPUs for sale?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/15 7:32 p.m.

Touch up the damage, then six inches of lift and a third rotor.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/11/15 9:38 a.m.

What are the chances I can get a body shop to mix a paint that is close enough that you wouldn't see the repair on the hood/bumper/battery door? I don't care that it is exactly the same, but close enough that it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I have no idea what to do about the exhaust. The truck has a header on it already, and what appears to be cobbled together 1st gen RX-7 pieces to "complete" the system. It isn't terribly noisy, but also isn't great. I want a system that sounds more like the Racing Beat streetport dual exhaust I have on my RX-7, but I'm not sure that is possible. Also the current muffler is mounted in such a way that the PO had to remove the spare tire from under the bed, and place it in the bed. Not a huge deal, but I have a spare tire winch from the parts truck that I would like to install, but the exhaust has to be fixed first.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/25/15 5:54 a.m.

Got the stripe kit installed. Didn't come out how I wanted, but still looks cool I think.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/15 6:28 a.m.

I love it

I'd love to have something like that to tool around in and have as a small pickup. I'd rechrome the front bumper and just enjoy it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
9/25/15 6:58 a.m.

From here it looks amaaaaaazing. Rotor on.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/25/15 7:02 a.m.

Thanks Seth,

I have been meaning to ask you how your Rx7 has been doing? Wheels still holding up?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/25/15 7:15 a.m.

It really looks good. I like stripes and graphics. Must be the 80s kid in me.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/25/15 10:33 a.m.

i would just remove the bumper and have it re-chromed and call it good. patina is a good thing. And I love that you call that rust on your hood. We would not notice that here in the midwest because there would be other much larger cancer areas.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/25/15 10:36 a.m.

I have a chrome bumper, but I am so used to the look of the painted one I'm not sure I want to use the chrome one. Of course if someone wants to witness me then I'm all about the chrome!

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
9/26/15 8:49 p.m.

Looks awesome with the stripe on!! I will never get over how much I love the extra fender flare they gave to the REPU over the Courier. I also find it rather ironic that your truck is older than mine and in the North and your rust is significantly lighter than mine

Could you get another pic of your battery box at some point? I think I'll be relocating mine and would love to be able to "replicate" a somewhat stock mounting style.

Doug

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/26/15 8:57 p.m.

My truck came from the south though. I bought it in South Georgia 13 years ago. I will get you some detailed pics for you.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/15 7:58 a.m.

The stripes look great!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/11/16 6:01 a.m.

Hey guys,

I was hoping to make the rear mud flaps on the REPU look a bit better. The Mazda script on them is broken down some, and I would love to restore it. However I have no idea how to do this. The lettering is not raised, but you do feel a bit of a ridge when you rub your hands over it. I think it is just the paint or whatever material is on there. Maybe silk screened originally? How would you guys restore these? I have a pic of the script here:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N66McXFqWUDK5bSr57f20MlKVJ5gLNFk93oml17qByLsMglZQH2mxWHKfNVrrkUB