Stefanos
Stefanos New Reader
6/3/11 8:32 a.m.

After much research and help from this forum , I finally decided on a c5 . It has to be a coupe and have a mt . Id like to spend about 16 but can go a bit higher . It will be a good weather dd , couple of auto-x's and track days . Is z06 worth the extra money over a Ls6 z51 optioned coupe . I will never add super or turbo charger and my eventual mods will be bolt on and more suspension that anything else . any input would be greatly appreciated

Stef
klipless
klipless Reader
6/3/11 8:34 a.m.

Does it have to haul anything of size? I mention that b/c the zed-oh-six is only a fixed roof coupe. Not nearly the hatch space of a normal C5.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/11 8:36 a.m.

Test dive both.

I really liked the c5 Z06 I test drove. I also test drive a drove a standard c5 and for day to day use I sure could live with a non Z06 car.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/3/11 8:41 a.m.

For me - there is no other option for that car if you ever plan to go to the track.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
6/3/11 8:50 a.m.

There is differences to the chassis, IIRC. Not just bolt on parts.

klipless
klipless Reader
6/3/11 9:35 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Are you thinking of the C6 version? It has an aluminium body versus the steel in the base car. I think all the C5 Z06 suspension parts could be bolted on.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
6/3/11 9:48 a.m.

I might be... I was 'wiki'-ing and although it didnt say anything about chassis difference it did say some of the glass was thinner

chaparral
chaparral Reader
6/3/11 9:52 a.m.

For $16k he's talking about C5s.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
6/3/11 11:09 a.m.

All I know is that a guy at the Glen last month was complaining that he had to go with high-dollar SKF rear wheel bearings as the factory bearings kept failing on his Z06 when tracked on sticky tires.

Josh
Josh Dork
6/3/11 11:17 a.m.

So maybe he spent as much on a pair of wheel bearings as he does on one rear tire. Boo Hoo.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
6/3/11 12:03 p.m.

I would go Z06. The differences are better gearing, faster steering ratio, lower weight, better resale value, and everything is already there and ready to go. All you have to do is get in and drive. Oh, and if I remember correctly 2 of quarts of oil before hitting the track(owners manual says this is mandatory).

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
6/3/11 1:27 p.m.

not going to boost it? you sure? http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2416125244.html

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/11 1:29 p.m.

Z06 is the only answer.

The Coupe is lighter and stiffer and the Z06 adds in more power and torque with the best factory suspension and wheels.

Stefanos
Stefanos New Reader
6/3/11 5:14 p.m.

yes just c5's , c6's are def out of my price range T he cost difference on average is about 3-4 k over a base c5 coupe , but the money that will get spent to get it to the same level as z06 defeats the whole purpose , so i guess z06 it is anyone sees a good one for around 16 ( i know a little to much wishful thinking on my part) , even 18 let me know! and thanks for all the feedback Stef

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
6/3/11 5:26 p.m.

Z06 also has some nice aesthetic touches.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/11 9:11 p.m.

i have one.

if I had to do it again I'd get a 'vert and bolt on some ZO6 parts. I'm quickly becoming an old prune though

No spare or run-flats on the Z. You blow a tire and you fix it or call a wrecker.

Will
Will HalfDork
6/4/11 8:26 a.m.
Stefanos wrote: Is z06 worth the extra money over a Ls6 z51 optioned coupe .

Unless someone did an engine swap, I believe the LS6 only came in the Z06.

And in my opinion, yes, it's worth the money. Some have found the standard FRC to actually cost more than the Z06.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/4/11 1:22 p.m.

The Z06s do have a can of fix a flat and an air compressor in the trunk. Not as good as runflats to get you home.

Regular C5s have the LS1 in all years, Z06 cars have the LS6.

For me it was an easy decision. Its easier to add power and handling to the regular coupe (targa/hatchback) style car. Its tharder to add a removable roof and hatchback storage space to the fixed roof Z06. You could strip the sound deadening, foglights, and add the thinner Z06 glass (except for the rear window) and have most of the body modifications taken care of aside from the flex due to the removable roof. Then add an LS6, LS2, or modify the original LS1. Upgrade the suspension to take-off Z06 pieces or add the next level up, and you are sitting good.

My 6 speed Z51 car is fun enough to drive as-is though.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/4/11 1:26 p.m.

For the C5, I'd definitely go with the Z06.

If I were shopping C6s, it would be a closer decision. The base C6 is very, very, very good, and significantly cheaper than the Z06 for now.

ApxAnimal
ApxAnimal New Reader
6/4/11 2:29 p.m.

A guy in my club found a nice Z06 off of ebay for $15,000. Something about the fact that he accidentally disclosed his reserve price, which was $15,000 and so he got it b4 the auction ended.

So, anyway, they can be found for the price point you're looking for.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
6/4/11 3:30 p.m.

so for one c5 you could buy 3 nice miatas or 5 crappy miatas, lol. based on grm pricing.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
6/4/11 3:54 p.m.

5 crappy Miatas? For 16k I could get more than 16 crappy Miatas!

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/5/11 10:42 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: You could strip the sound deadening, foglights, and add the thinner Z06 glass (except for the rear window) and have most of the body modifications taken care of aside from the flex due to the removable roof. Then add an LS6, LS2, or modify the original LS1. Upgrade the suspension to take-off Z06 pieces or add the next level up, and you are sitting good.

you're sitting good no doubt but you'd be over the pricepoint for a Z by then.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VcSmrmghcy1fGABgQsNWy7pG0UKEqIOBf7S3AWmLu9q6BeXuKWMgZGH2qav7nmfa