1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 7:39 p.m.
JohnRW1621 said:

I bought the full version ($4.99) of the Android App, Torque because I learned that with the full version you can download special Prius software.
Pretty cool. Aside from things like rpm and coolant I am enjoying the separate voltage readout for each of the 14 hybrid cells as well as a percentage reading the tells your SOC (state of charge) and more.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 7:40 p.m.

In reply to jrflying :

2010 is a Gen3. 

2009 is a Gen2

Gen3s are considered to be better cars and often pull 50 mpg while Gen2s pull 40s. 

Also, the Gen3s tend to cost a bit more. For me, the Gen2s are in the current financial sweet spot of price value. 

I do not know of an Apple app. Just the Torque Pro app I listed above. 

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
8/26/19 10:02 a.m.

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
8/26/19 10:02 a.m.

Should I be worried about these batteries?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/19 10:47 a.m.

I would not worry about that voltage.  15.57 to 15.48 is generally the same number.

For Ohms I generally see them to be all the same number but one 27 and one 25 while all others are 26 should be good.  

What is this software?  My ohms readings are more like 9 but I also use different software and have Gen2's while I think this is a Gen3.   I don't know what to expect them to be on a Gen3

EDIT:  

links to some other good Prius threads on GRM:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-some-prius/156694/page2/#post2817632

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/anybody-speak-challenge-priced-prius/153766/page1/

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
8/26/19 11:35 a.m.

I was using Dr. Prius app. Batteries came up to 17v after some driving around. I was pretty happy with what I was seeing so we purchased. 2011 red with 127k on it. It’s going to be my MIL’s car. Thanks for the help y’all!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/1/19 8:33 p.m.

I'm trying to get one of these next. I'm hoping to catch one for under 4k in reasonable condition so I can drive it into the ground. I don't have the money yet but window shopping lol

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/19 9:06 a.m.

John, you’ve just about convinced me to get one of these for my next job in sales. Thank you for keeping up with this thread. 

ronholm
ronholm Dork
9/6/19 2:36 p.m.
jrflying said:

This post really interests me! I hate to thread jack but I am going to look at a 2010 with 142k. What should I look for when giving the car an inspection? Is there an app for iPhone to check the batteries? Thank you so much y’all are the best!

You just need a Bluetooth dongle for the OBD2 port and then many people like the "torque" app.   It really works VERY well and will give you all the info you need and more.   

calteg
calteg Dork
9/6/19 4:48 p.m.
yupididit said:

I'm trying to get one of these next. I'm hoping to catch one for under 4k in reasonable condition so I can drive it into the ground. I don't have the money yet but window shopping lol

You're a savvy genius, because that's exactly what I did. Snapped up a 2013 Prius C with significant hail damage for $3,000. So far, I'm averaging 52mpg over slightly more than 1,000 miles. I was shocked at how much mileage A/C robs you of. I struggle to crack 50mpg with the a/c on, but I can nudge pretty close to 60mpg with it off. Guess I should drop the money for the Torque app...

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/6/19 5:01 p.m.
calteg said:
yupididit said:

You're a savvy genius, because that's exactly what I did. Snapped up a 2013 Prius C with significant hail damage for $3,000. So far, I'm averaging 52mpg over slightly more than 1,000 miles. I was shocked at how much mileage A/C robs you of. I struggle to crack 50mpg with the a/c on, but I can nudge pretty close to 60mpg with it off. Guess I should drop the money for the Torque app...

Do these still have the solar roof that allows them to keep ventilation running while the car is parked?

yupididit
9/6/19 5:26 p.m.
calteg said:
yupididit said:

Did yours have a clean title? 

calteg
calteg Dork
9/6/19 5:28 p.m.
yupididit said:
calteg said:
yupididit said:

Did yours have a clean title? 

Yup,  though it did show an accident from when the owner filed an insurance claim.

grover said:
calteg said:
yupididit said:

Do these still have the solar roof that allows them to keep ventilation running while the car is parked?

I believe that's only on the high tim levels of the full sized prius. I don't think the Prius C has enough roof real estate. 

yupididit
9/6/19 5:33 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Damn I need to find that kind of deal! 

calteg
calteg Dork
9/6/19 5:46 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to calteg :

Seller was a hippie that was leaving on a "vision quest."  I suspect he took KBB, subtracted whatever the insurance payout was, and slapped it up on CL for that amount. Fun facts for those of you considering the Prius C:  The hybrid batteries put out less than one kilowatt. The gas motor is rated at a ground pounding 99hp. This thing is S-L-O-W, even by Prius standards. I feel like the magic of the prius is less about the hybrid tech, and more about how the interface trains you to be okay with being a rolling chicane. 

yupididit
9/6/19 8:08 p.m.
calteg said:
yupididit said:

In reply to calteg :

Seller was a hippie that was leaving on a "vision quest."  I suspect he took KBB, subtracted whatever the insurance payout was, and slapped it up on CL for that amount. Fun facts for those of you considering the Prius C:  The hybrid batteries put out less than one kilowatt. The gas motor is rated at a ground pounding 99hp. This thing is S-L-O-W, even by Prius standards. I feel like the magic of the prius is less about the hybrid tech, and more about how the interface trains you to be okay with being a rolling chicane. 

Remember that 7.3 excursion I drove to your place back in 2017? That's what I'm currently daily driving. Slow, loud, and rough. I'll take rolling chicane lol

calteg
calteg Dork
9/7/19 10:36 a.m.

After the apocalypse, all that will exist is dust, echoes, and the 7.3L diesel

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/25/19 6:50 p.m.

Quoting myself from Page 4 and March '19 or 6 months ago.

I had sourced the door quickly but there it sat.  Well, this week, just 6 months later with the thoughts of winter approaching and the affects of salt on broken paint, I finally just paid to have the work done.  

John Welsh said:

In other Prius drama, this happens earlier this winter to Prius #2. 

My driver, who had the car knows nothing about it. My fist inclination is to not believe him but from this photo taken the day it was discovered, I think he may have been swiped by a snow plow in his apt parking lot. Notice the plow line comes really close to the car. 

That leaves me with no one to really blame with any proof. I really don't want to make a claim which could increase my rates.   I have a body guy who did some inexpensive work on the F250. Maybe he can help. 

I hop on car-part.com and find I can get a whole door, in the right factory color for $150. The source is Toledo Core Supply an hour away. I contact them and they say, "come see what we have."  

To be continued. 

John Welsh said:

I get to Toledo Core Supply (TCS) and this is not a junkyard.  More of what I would call a dismantler.  It is an old industrial building in an old industrial part of town.  Everything is indoors.  The young guy takes me back into the bellows of the building.  Its super dark and I wait for him to head back to the light switches.  I'll be damned, in this section of the building are 40-50 Gen1 to Gen3 Prius but mostly Gen2.  We search trough looking for green ones.  We really don't find the one.  We then trake the freight elevator up to the second floor.  There in pallet racks is the big parts that have already been taken off the one we were looking for.  All 4 doors are there, and the hatch and rear bumper as well as the full grey leather interior. 

The door looks great.  $150 plus tax, cash and carry and they help me load it into my car.  

Back home:

That $150 gets me THE WHOLE DOOR, unbolted at the hinge and harness cut.  What I have learned from the DCulberson threads of selling parts is that I will be left with a nearly an entire door.  Via ebay, I should be able to recoup a lot of that $150 through the sale of the remaing, glass, interior trim, handles, latches, speaker, window motor, switch, etc.   I dream of "net zero". 

There is a local guy I met when I sold him a few $400-ish cars ca couple of years ago.   He flipped those cars, as he clearly stated he would.  From our meeting I remember that he said he does bodywork at home.   I had saved his number and spoke with him this past week.  

For $275 he hung the door and painted the wheel arch, etc.  That means I was $150 in for the door and $275 for paint and labor.  All in, $425.  Didn't seem too bad.  I had talked to a body shop and for the same they wanted $650 for paint and labor.  I'm happy with the work.  

One little piece of unexpected.  It turns out that the replacement door has a tinted window.  I'm not sure if I really want to put forth the effort to remove the tint.  Maybe I'll just accept the addd benifit of less interior heat entering from half of the left side.    

There is a little horizontal line on the wheel arch where the paints don't perfectly match but I'm okay with that.  Sure looks better than the multiple lines (scratches) that were there earlier.  

This car is P2, my 2nd Prius.  It how has 139k miles.  I had bought it as a rebuilt title from a bodyshop that specializes in rebuilding Prius and Camrys.  They were forthcoming with the damage.  It wears an aftermarket front bumper cover, a fresh headlight, and aftermarket right fender and used passenger door that carries a different vin than the car.   Now, on the drivers side one of the doors carries a different vin sticker too.  

With all this bodywork, the car still drives fantastic.  I replaced the brake pads recently but what I hoped was dragging brake noise turned out to be bad front bearing noise.  With all that now fixed, this car would be my car of choice for any cross country trip.  

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/25/19 9:09 p.m.

Looks good John, and that was a great deal on the paint work.

BBC

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/20 12:05 p.m.

Some update.  There are currently 3 Prius in my fleet.  Bought 4, sold 1.  

As of this morning's auction, there will be another.  

Its dirty, like it has been sitting under a sappy tree, followed by then sitting in a dirt lot, but in general it is very clean and neat.  Needs about $400-$700 in parts from the Prius dismantlers.  Went a little higher than I wanted but a $600 bid is then $928 with fees.  My goal is road worthy for under $2k.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/25/20 12:35 p.m.

I am going to have a 2007 Prius to part out shortly. It needs an engine. Let me know if you need anything. I know it got a new hybrid battery last year. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/20 12:39 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Is it Silver?  

This one needs:

• rear door (maybe)
  • front door
  • front fender and inner plastic fender liner
  • front bumper cover
  • headlight
  • hood (but I can probably get by with the one there)
AWSX1686
2/25/20 1:01 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It is Silver! I know the hood has damage, I can't remember if the front bumper is ok. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/20 8:08 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I just discovered tonight that there are two Silver colors for Prius.  '04 & '05 got one and '06-'09 got another.  Seems that what I have is darker; less bright.  Keep me informed but I'm gonna see what I can find in the proper color.  I'd really rather complete this with no paint.  

http://www.toyotareference.com/prius/2004-2009

AWSX1686
2/26/20 7:35 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Ahhhh. Will definitely keep you posted. I sent you a PM yesterday with my cell number. Hopefully I'll be picking it up in like 2 weeks.  

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xP2gJ9Za9EA9ipt0bksv1FvcFlisTB8FY4UveG8F31DKKy6vR0hubdVmMvhvyBk1