David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/10/09 6:30 p.m.

Since moving into the new building, we have seen pretty steady walk-in traffic. It ranges from people looking for the old lamp store to total freaks of nature. Today's visitor was Fox NASCAR announcer Mike Joy. He's obviously in town for the big race and decided to come for a visit. (He's a fan of the magazine and occasional message boarder.) While he obviously knows his NASCAR stuff, he's equally fluent when it comes to Miatas, Little British Cars and old IMSA cars. Nice guy, too.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
2/10/09 6:44 p.m.

I'll second David's "nice guy" nomination for Mike Joy. I'll never watch the Barret Jackson auctions the same way again.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/10/09 7:40 p.m.

wow that is good to know...I used to watch NASCAR pretty regularly, and I thought he would be the one I would most like to share a beer with...

DW would be fun to listen to for about 10 minutes...then I would want to punch him in the head.

What race would he be in town for? :thinly veiled sarcasm:

jde
jde Reader
2/10/09 10:14 p.m.

Didn't he race a Spec Racer in the Northeast at one point?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
2/10/09 10:30 p.m.
jde wrote: Didn't he race a Spec Racer in the Northeast at one point?

I think he did. When I first got online about `95 or so, I exchanged an e-mail with him. I had some old VHS of him working the SCCA Runoffs in 1980 (with David Hobbs ). IIRC, he sent a scanned pic of a red/white/blue one in his reply. I was going to send him copies of the tapes, but never got around to it. I guess I could get them digitized, if I can find them..

sector7
sector7 New Reader
2/10/09 10:40 p.m.

yes he did run a spec racer.. one of the nicest guys in motorsports.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/09 1:43 a.m.

Mike Joy is one of the nicest people I've met also. On an off weekend many moons ago he came out to Riverhead to watch the races. He stopped off by our trailer and talked with us for about 20 minutes after we had crashed out of our heat and were loading up. I don't know how much of the racing he saw, whereever he went people kept telling him he looked and sounded like the guy from tv.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/09 8:52 a.m.

Cool! God, I'd hate to be anywhere near Daytona right now.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/11/09 9:01 a.m.

What race?

<--- not a nascar fan.

I am not trying to take away anything from the person (Joy was it?) that was mentioned.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
2/11/09 9:06 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: DW would be fun to listen to for about 10 minutes...then I would want to punch him in the head.

What did David S. Wallens ever do to you?

Maroon...you big Jerk

I think you do a fine job David. I like your publication very much.

Sorry Im bored...and an admitted P.W.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/11/09 9:38 a.m.

Yeah, Mike is one of the good guys. Not only that, he has a few MGB projects ongoing, an old Super 7 with a rotary (Rotus), and he's restored a few Healeys in his day. He's a real car guy, and a real race historian.

Whenever we see him at races he always makes a point to come up to our booth and say hello. He's a class act.

Oh, and Daytona isn't bad during race week, as long as you steer clear of the speedway.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/09 9:51 a.m.

I never realized he hung out on the board.

Mike, I apologize now for anything I might or may have said... no, no I don't.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
2/11/09 10:24 a.m.

He seems to have a true passion for the Healey's, I've seen him joke about buying some at the B-J Auctions.

Good to hear that he's a class act and a car guy.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
2/11/09 11:40 a.m.

He and Magnante are the only reason to watch the BJ auctions.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
2/11/09 11:53 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: wow that is good to know...I used to watch NASCAR pretty regularly, and I thought he would be the one I would most like to share a beer with...

I think the guy deserves his own beer.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/09 12:09 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
maroon92 wrote: wow that is good to know...I used to watch NASCAR pretty regularly, and I thought he would be the one I would most like to share a beer with...
I think the guy deserves his own beer.

(angrycorvair silently wipes spittle from monitor....)

car39
car39 Reader
2/11/09 2:37 p.m.

We went with a tour group with Mike Joy and Buddy Baker for the first Brickyard 400. Mike was fun, but Buddy was just stand up comic in action. During the meet and greet, there were 2 young honeys waiting at the back of the room. When my friend asked Mike about the babes, he said "Those are Buddy's. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!" A good guy.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
2/12/09 12:31 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Oh, and Daytona isn't bad during race week, as long as you steer clear of the speedway.

ROFL! We need a "Quote of The Month" contest or something...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/13/09 10:36 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: He seems to have a true passion for the Healey's, I've seen him joke about buying some at the B-J Auctions. Good to hear that he's a class act and a car guy.

Yeah, definitely a car guy. Has a new Mini and was asking about tires for Midgets and Spitfires. He also had a Miata back when they were brand-new and used to race a Spec Racer. He gets it.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
2/14/09 7:33 a.m.

He even co-drove with a clown at Watkins Glen in the Firehawk series. He was a good guy to hang out with and I have to admit his times weren't that far off mine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BikqZ6INP6Nxa6abkWWAktEWQecwjC27axADoLMeTN6CDQ5C0BMKOZGxmJ1L507A