1 2
carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/18/12 2:45 p.m.

Is it Torques or Horsepowers that really determines the capacity of a transmission?

I'm noodling a coupling method for Bike engines to car trannies and running into capacity issues with the smaller transmissions I've found.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/18/12 2:47 p.m.

Torque. There may be a speed limit to the bearings.

And can we not say 'torques'? It's just at easy to type 'ft-lbs'

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork

Too many torques are what makes a gearbox eat itself.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork

Horsepower is how fast you go. Torque is how you quick you get there. That's what I got.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
4/18/12 2:55 p.m.

I was thinking it that torque was the main culprit, which if so is good because since bike engines are normally low on Torques that lets you use a smaller unit (with less loss) than with the same HP'd car engine. Or at least that's my theory.

I was hoping for some vindication.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/18/12 3:00 p.m.
RossD wrote: And can we not say 'torques'? It's just at easy to type 'ft-lbs'

It's Torques you bloody savage.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
4/18/12 3:06 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Horsepower is how fast you go. Torque is how you quick you get there. That's what I got.

False.

And yes, transmissions usually have a TQ limit, but not a HP limit.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/18/12 3:09 p.m.
RossD wrote: Torque. There may be a speed limit to the bearings. And can we not say 'torques'? It's just at easy to type 'ft-lbs'

Actually, the correct term is lb-ft.
And I fully agree about torques and horsepowers. Make one sound like they watch too much Top Gear. At least he didn't say Brake Horsepowers.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/18/12 3:10 p.m.

Torque is a real number. Horsepower is a function.

If things break because of power, it's torque.

If things break because they spun too fast, it's probably horsepower.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
4/18/12 3:11 p.m.

I always thought of torque as how hard you twist and horsepower as how fast you twist it. This is why a diesel engine can pull a house, but cannot acclerate to save its life (unless properly turbocharged).

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
4/18/12 3:13 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Is it Torques or Horsepowers that really determines the capacity of a transmission? I'm noodling a coupling method for Bike engines to car trannies and running into capacity issues with the smaller transmissions I've found.

actually... it is a twin variable equation... torque... and the vehicles mass you are using it in.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/18/12 3:17 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
RossD wrote: Torque. There may be a speed limit to the bearings. And can we not say 'torques'? It's just at easy to type 'ft-lbs'

x * y=y * x Commutative property Both are the same.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
4/18/12 3:24 p.m.

I always say ft-lbs not lb-ft.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/18/12 3:25 p.m.

I heard horsepower was how hard you hit the wall

and

ft/lbs was how far you pushed the wall.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
4/18/12 3:30 p.m.
RossD wrote:
bravenrace wrote:

No, a foot-pound is a unit of force whereas a pound-foot is a unit of torque.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/18/12 3:31 p.m.
RossD wrote:
bravenrace wrote:

Yes, but no. foot pound is a unit of work. Pound feet is a unit of torque. No big deal. I just thought if someone was correcting someone they might as well be correct.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
4/18/12 3:41 p.m.

They would be different if they gave you different answers, but they don't because multiplication is commultative. It's really symmantics and is as close to some peoples hearts as politics and religions, so I digress.

What's not correct is ft/lbs.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/18/12 3:49 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

One is correct and the other not. I understand that mathematically they are the same, but they are different because they refer to different things.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/18/12 3:49 p.m.

Torques.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
4/18/12 3:50 p.m.

HP is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you move it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/18/12 3:51 p.m.

Torque kills 'em every time.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/18/12 3:56 p.m.

Torque.

PS - "Torques" is acceptable as it can be measured in pound-feet, kilogram-meter, etc.

People say "horsepower" without quantifying SAE vs euro or gross vs net or a million other ways of measuring it, so why get all pissy about torque?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
4/18/12 4:04 p.m.

I don't get the people who get pissy over "torques".

To answer the question, my understanding is torque is what will break a transmission. Torque is the actual force exerted, horsepower is measuring the timeframe over which that force is applied. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the breaking point, what matters is if you exceed it or not.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
4/18/12 4:05 p.m.

When building an engine I always try to end up with lots of Torquespower?

Or Horque?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/18/12 4:06 p.m.

Both torques and horses power require robust coupling methodology, and neither can be noodled to a transmission. We suggest at the very least a heavier lasagna style connectifier.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DRbp8eWqkDIYK4YBjTvamCHGoG3Sn9iplRZPILpHRjgJFqadibEkHb4Klj6qJuCF