Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/1/14 4:37 p.m.

When heading down the interstate, I cannot help but notice the car haulers heading in the opposite direction.

What surprises me is how much the consumer-grade trucks are pulling. Today, I saw a 3500-series dually pulling a two-tier trailer with a Bentley convertible down below, and three SUVs above. I imagine that the weight including the trailer was at least 25k lbs.

How much are these trucks legally allowed to haul upon getting re-certified? This is not including farm truck exemptions. What modifications have to be made to haul heavy loads reliably?

I have read a little about hotshot truckers in the past; I remember reading that the trucks are sometimes dumped after a few hundred thousand very hard miles, when things start breaking.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/1/14 4:44 p.m.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-trucks-for-towing-for-2013.html

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/1/14 5:27 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-trucks-for-towing-for-2013.html

and keep in mind that the numbers below all those trucks are for hitch-towing. It goes up about 50% or more if you're using a fifth-wheel setup.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
6/1/14 6:13 p.m.

The answer is.. a lot. 22.5K-29K is what I'm seeing if the 1 ton is setup right. http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
6/1/14 6:20 p.m.

I see the same engines used in these trucks showing up in my school bus fleet and medium duty straight trucks. They are quite capable of towing upwards of 25,000 lbs.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/1/14 7:07 p.m.

They can pull a lot more than they can stop, but hey, lots of commercial vehicles cant stop worth a crap either and we are all pretty much fine with it. Given the proper trailer brakes they arent any more dangerous in a straight line than any other 40k+ lb gcvw rig.

As far as hauling the weight up high, there's no getting around the laws of physics. It's not particularly safe. But neither is your average loaded semi, which i've seen roll onto it's side from bumping a 6" curb with the inside wheels at 10 mph turning under an overpass.

None of these giant towing rigs are particularly safe, but relative to the very low bar we hold them to, they DO clear it.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/1/14 9:18 p.m.

LoL at calling 1 ton trucks "heavy duty"

And your answer has already been had.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/1/14 9:31 p.m.

My MEDIUM duty Ford would disagree with your definition of Heavy Duty as well

photo AA689D89-74FF-4232-A271-B1FA4402CACF_zpsjrzyis1u.jpg

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/14 10:17 p.m.

I was wondering the same exact thing yesterday. I was on the interstate, in the rain, on a bridge, when I found myself surrounded by people who were hitting their brakes for a state trooper on the shoulder where there is always a state trooper. Moments later, I passed a F250 (or maybe a single rear wheel F350) that was pulling a 30-foot Topkick-based bus at five under the limit using only a recovery strap.

I can't imagine this a legal towing situation, and the trooper just happened to not notice them rolling by.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/1/14 10:30 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: My MEDIUM duty Ford would disagree with your definition of Heavy Duty as well  photo AA689D89-74FF-4232-A271-B1FA4402CACF_zpsjrzyis1u.jpg

"My" definition of heavy duty was just referring to manufacturer lingo. Or is it Super Duty?

And Clifford looks like it needs a larger load. Just one tractor?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/2/14 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Mitchell:

Fair enough, just remember that anything rated 1 ton or less is meerly a "Light Duty" truck to most of us.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/14 11:20 a.m.

I have a 2008 Dodge with dualls. It is the third duallie I have had to pull the same trailer of about 14000 pounds. Each one was a huge step forward in terms of ability. On paper, all pretty much the same truck with one ton rating, dual wheels, four wheel drive and a diesel engine. But the 1995 was a white knuckle affair, the 2005 was much better but didn't stop very well, and this one is one finger at 65 mph, and it stops really well. The 2014 version of my truck is rated to pull 30000 pounds on a fifth wheel, and I am pretty sure it will do it comfortably and safely.

JamesWilliam6649
JamesWilliam6649 None
4/6/21 6:29 a.m.

great man. Thinking of buy a jawasaki ninja for the next stop

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 7:18 a.m.

towing a canoe anytime soon?

alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

towing a canoe anytime soon?

Well if they're in Europe a Reliant Robin should work fine for that, right? Just don't strap it onto the roof...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EhtvnACeiZpsMXrLu6UH3cnXssG33UV4iz7lVHIyty6usaMEaUr9kzVZCiNLXBAB