1 2
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/13/21 10:43 a.m.

I know you all are more likely to enable but... help talk me out of this?

There’s a 2002 Echo coupe local on fb. Manual, and comes with some aftermarket rims that should be able to fit some wider sticky tire. I know these cars don’t weigh much.

It sounds like a recipe for challenge autox domination.

Beyond that... ~2000lbs/100hp sounds fun in my head but I’m assuming these are geared shallow for economy and that’s maybe not so exciting.

I’m also guessing these don’t get modified much, so finding more performance would involve some creativity. Am I on the right track here?

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/13/21 11:06 a.m.

Their name is escaping me but didn't somebody on here tune a Echo quite a bit?? Not sure if they are active or not these days.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/13/21 11:32 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

That would be Echoechoecho, whom I haven't seen on here in quite some time. He did up a Challenge Tercel that weighed 1700 lb with a full interior. I think it had ITBs from a bike engine on it. IIRC it ran in the top 5 at the Challenge that year.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 11:36 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

If you can find the build thread for Echoechoecho's Tercel it would give you some ideas, I'm sure. He had that thing doing really well in local autocrosses in FSP IIRC. About 5 years ago there was an Echo hatchback for sale in Battle Creek. It had to be a Canadian car because I don't think Toyota sold the hatches here. I should have bought it at the time because they are the best looking version of the car.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/21 11:37 a.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 11:40 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

This one?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2000-toyota-echo-95-toyota-tercel/96604/page1/

Yep, that's him (Adrian) in the photo. He and his brother entered that Echo and later the Tercel. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, thats the one. They did really well, but that was also the year the challenge didn't have a drag race.

That meant that some of the heavy hitters weren't there (Nelsons) and the double auto-X probably gave the Echo a slight advantage over having to run a 1/4 mile.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 11:46 a.m.

He originally got the Echo by trading it for a BMX bike , or something.smiley

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 11:49 a.m.

The ad says it's a southern car. I'd go look at it for that reason alone and you are correct in assuming a light car and 100 HP can be fun. Some minimal mods and you can have a fun little car to fool around in for years.

3/13/21 11:56 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

He originally got the Echo by trading it for a BMX bike , or something.smiley

That’s awesome.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 11:59 a.m.
Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
3/13/21 1:03 p.m.

I have driven a manual one before and I remember they have a (very) wide ratio transmission and not much power, so it's for sure not going to feel like a sports car. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Echos are 4x100 so it could be a good place for Recaros and fog lights, etc

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/13/21 1:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Echos are 4x100 so it could be a good place for Recaros and fog lights, etc

Funny you should say that. Had the same thought myself after seeing the ad.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/13/21 1:50 p.m.

If I remember right, he did very well in STS with the Echo. Maybe it was even banned? Could have been a concern of roll over.

Either way, that thread had me interested in them. I love light economy cars with a MT. I’ve never driven an Echo.

I saw a hatch once too, had to do a double take!

3/13/21 1:56 p.m.

Well, I reached out to the seller asking to check it out this weekend. Still waiting to see if he replies to my query. If it is actually “southern car so no rust” I might have some explaining to do to my wife.

3/14/21 2:59 p.m.

So I bought it. Definitely didn’t pay his asking price.

I can tell this is one of those cars that I can beat within inch of its life and it will just keep asking for more.

It will also hit 65 in 2nd. So good for autocross things.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/21 3:19 p.m.

Is it blue or green?

I'll bet it will be fun. The whole slow car fast thing.

3/14/21 4:19 p.m.

It’s bright red, so with the yellow Focus and sky blue Neon I have a full set of the primary colors represented by 4 cylinder E36 M3boxes :P

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/14/21 4:39 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

I can tell this is one of those cars that I can beat within inch of its life and it will just keep asking for more.

Good luck with that.

I typed out a response that was absolutely nasty so I deleted it and started over, but that was also my expectation and not my experience

I bought a low mileage Echo hatch a couple years ago as a commuter and drove it for a little more than a year. I grew to hate it with a passion I cannot describe. It sits in front of my shop now and hopefully I'll be able to sell it in the spring. I had no luck unloading it last year.

The day I put it up for sale or trade I posted this elsewhere.

Alas, it's that time, time to part with a not beloved  family member, and I feel the need to pay homage.

Ode to an Echo:

Today I sit here broken hearted.

Showed the Echo, it never started.

Tomorrow I might take a chance, trade for a Sherco, made in France.

I may have to do what I really don't wanna

Trade this pig for a four stroke Honda

I thought I'd have to take a hit

And wish I'd never bought this piece of E36 M3

I should know better, I know what I've heard

Never buy a car with a performance division named TuRD

3/14/21 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Lol. Only one way to find out. At least this was cheap enough I could drive it for a year, set it on fire, and still feel like I got my money’s worth.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
3/14/21 5:42 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Peabody :

Lol. Only one way to find out. At least this was cheap enough I could drive it for a year, set it on fire, and still feel like I got my money’s worth.

I'll bet it's like my $1000 Miata, bought cheap, needs little to nothing for maintenance, and will be alive and kicking several years from now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/14/21 5:52 p.m.

They have over 7" of suspension travel stock.  Do what you want with that information.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/21 6:46 p.m.

Sorry to hear that your camera is broken!  devil

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/14/21 7:23 p.m.

Ok now that I’m at work, can’t see mine and I’ve calmed down...

They have 3.55-1 final drive which is just ok for commuting but it really should have at least a 4.10. Yaris’ have a 3.73 ratio but they’re different. The XA has a 4.31 (?) final drive trans that is otherwise the same. That would help a lot. I have one but didn’t get around to installing it. There are XA springs on eBay that are very stiff. The front is perfect, the rear too long, so you need to either cut them or find another solution. They made my car handle a lot better.  I also have a set of eibachs but never did get around to using them.  There is a cheap header that looks ok. Apparently they work alright and I have one plus a proper high flow cat and Borla muffler. There is a bigger tb available, I think from a corolla. It needs it. A cone filter directly on the end of the air box made a difference on mine.  The MAF is incorporated in the airbox as I recall making a quick an easy intake a bit of a pain. All that stuff should make a very noticeable difference but  I determined that to have any real fun an aftermarket ECU was going to be required, though I’ve heard conflicting reports about the 1.5’s reliability under power. I otherwise found the motor to be just like the rest of the car. Devoid of any personality. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c8ojZYEcLeDO1KrYj8dCu97TMaeeZdD7cXXAyFe7GqmnCc5LqzUNBJh4PzzlziN3