1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/17/22 4:39 p.m.
feature_image

Toyota continues to tease its GR GT3 concept. At a Lexus press conference revealing its 2023 cars on May 31, Koji Sato, President of both Lexus and Toyota Gazoo Racing, also talked about the latter. In his presentation, he made a brief mention of the GT3 concept:

“I’m excited to announce that the GT3 Concept car we showed at …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/22 5:28 p.m.

That looks like the Batmobile. Not the one from the '40s, though. The other one. No, not that one, either. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/22 5:43 p.m.

Time for a 2000GT successor?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/22 7:01 p.m.

Oh lawd!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/22 8:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oh lawd!

I know, right? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/17/22 10:27 p.m.

What would I like to see under it's sleek body???

ME!!!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/22 11:11 p.m.

Id like to see 550 hp twin turbo inline 6 and a true manual gearbox. NO HYBRID STUFF!

NO AWD!

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/18/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think Toyota has an inline 6, it'll probably be a turbo V6 or V8.

I hope OEM specials don't kill the class. They have to make 10 from the date of homologation and 20 by the 2nd year, so Toyota probably can't spend Ford GT money on this.

SupraFiend
SupraFiend New Reader
6/18/22 2:51 a.m.

I'd like to see under that skin... a street car.

Also, a Toyota.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/22 7:04 a.m.

Develop an in house 3JZ.

No E36 M3!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/22 5:01 p.m.

Umm Toyota and Mazda are developing an online 6, I expect this to feature it in it's spiciest form. And I'd actually rather have hybrid assist over forced induction at this point, if I'm having to decide between the two. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/22 5:17 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Id like to see 550 hp twin turbo inline 6 and a true manual gearbox. NO HYBRID STUFF!

NO AWD!

GT3 rules don't allow hybrids, AWD, or manual gearboxes.

te72
te72 Reader
6/18/22 5:42 p.m.

The GT86 as a street car can be outfitted with a manual, but the race car they recently announced uses a sequential, so there's no reason we couldn't have a street car out of this...

I mean... as a long term Supra owner, I'm not holding my breath here, but perhaps this is Toyota's apology for the Mk5 Supra? I could get behind that.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/22 6:18 p.m.
te72 said:

The GT86 as a street car can be outfitted with a manual, but the race car they recently announced uses a sequential, so there's no reason we couldn't have a street car out of this...

I mean... as a long term Supra owner, I'm not holding my breath here, but perhaps this is Toyota's apology for the Mk5 Supra? I could get behind that.

I've instructed in 5 or 6 supras now, and Toyota has NOTHING to apologize for with that car. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/22 7:06 p.m.
racerfink said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

NO AWD!

GT3 rules don't allow hybrids, AWD, or manual gearboxes.

The street in front of my house has no sanctioning body.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
6/18/22 7:51 p.m.

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/22 7:53 p.m.

A racetrack would be much better suited for a $500k race car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/22 9:19 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

I've instructed in 5 or 6 supras now, and Toyota has NOTHING to apologize for with that car. 

You mean BMW?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/22 9:46 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:
WonkoTheSane said:

You mean BMW?

Whoever it is should feel quite proud of themselves :)

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I never understood the need to get pedantic about two awesome car companies co-developing an awesome car. What is to be gained by going around telling folks happy with their Cadillac that it is actually a GM or an Opel? Or telling folks interested in older Toyotas that it isn't a real Toyota because Yamaha developed the cylinder head? Or insisting that a Chevy Luv is an Isuzu, or a Honda Passport for that matter? Is life improved by E36 M3ting on every Geo Metro mention by insisting that it is actually a Suzuki? Do folks really feel like they are doing some good by using "Hurr-durr...BMW!" type comments to shed light in the fact that the reality of the automotive world in 2022 involves collaborations?

te72
te72 Reader
6/19/22 1:57 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Try owning a modern BMW outside of the warranty, it will become abundantly clear what is wrong with calling this car a Toyota, period.

I've heard they drive great, and I've personally seen plenty of very fast, very sorted Mk5's. But when we go to our annual Supras in Vegas event and there are literally hundreds of old school Toyotas that are all 20-40 years old, that's something special. In 20 years, how many of these Mk5's are still gonna be in any sort of condition to make the journey? Meanwhile... I would bet money that our Toyota built Supras will still be coming out.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
6/19/22 6:39 a.m.

Every car is becoming more complicated & therefore more difficult & expensive to repair.  I recently attended the vintage in Asheville NC & there are no shortage of BMW owners willing to drive their 30 to 50 year old cars multiple thousands of miles for an event.

I do think a halo car should be the manufacturer showing what they can do but today a halo car is going to be multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.  If Toyota has to parter with Subaru to bring us the gt86, BMW to bring us the supra & rumored Porsche to bring us a new mr2 I think its a great thing.  Toyota has one of the most exciting line up of cars out of any manufacturer right now, if they need to parter with other brands to make it happen it just means we get a good car with 2 badges.  The Toyota we should be complaining about is the Corolla cross, why do we need an SUV with the same name as a current car?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Basically what @Caperix said below. I love automotive collaborations and have owned them in the past but it's a letdown when a manufactures' halo car is made by somebody else. It's telling the market that their core competency is branding and distribution instead of designing and building a car that inspires passion.

te72
te72 Reader
6/19/22 4:40 p.m.

For what it's worth, brand cross polination is nothing new. Remember... even Ford and Ferrari were to become one, at one point in history.

However, telling me that Toyota, of all companies, NEEDS to collaborate with another brand to deliver a car to market is simply a matter of ignorance. Mazda? Mitsubishi? Sure. Toyota though, with its coffers literally overflowing with cash? They can make whatever they WANT to make. Name me another car company with more financial reserves and R&D capability than Toyota. Not talking market "value" here, before someone brings up Tesla, maker of all of what, four cars in 15 years?

I'll wait. =P

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fpr0eVl2EuUGZYBZ2ZrJCNHH25MsyKcZuheCWEqqay2tdiQR8VJpLy1iu3Z6RhG7