Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/21 11:37 a.m.

The shop that has my truck (1988 4-Runnerr) sent me these pictures today:

They're telling me it's the 5th gear synchro, but something might be getting lost in translation.  They're also telling me that it's broken in half.  It doesnt look broken to me at all.

My question is, what is that and is it bad?

Whatever it is apparently wasnt included in the w56 synchro and bearing kit I gave them.

Thanks everyone

5/27/21 11:41 a.m.
5/27/21 11:54 a.m.

Looks to be 1:45 of this video, and it looks like there should be three of them?:

https://www.midwesttrans.com/parts-illustration-toyota-w55-w56-and-w58-5-speed-manual-transmission/

djsilver (Forum Supporter)
djsilver (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/27/21 12:26 p.m.

It looks like the little pieces that fit into 17, 25, and 44.  I forget what they"re called, but they are a part of the synchro assemblies  i can see some wear on one, but they don't look broken to me.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/21 12:33 p.m.

I've never been into that particular transmission but that's a synchronizer strut or key.  There are three or four of them per synchro depending on the transmission.  That one looks worn but not broken.  They're not included in all kits.

5/27/21 12:48 p.m.

Thanks guys.

That's brutal.  I'll have to call the site that posted the parts breakdown and see if they can supply one. 

5/29/21 1:57 a.m.

Good news!

The site that hosted the parts breakdown has three used keys they can send for $2 a pop (now the waiting for shipping begins).

Thanks again guys, I was worried this was going to end with me shipping an entire trans over the pond laugh

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/29/21 9:15 a.m.

You might want to also try to get the round springs that sit inside the clutch hub and supports the keys.

I'm no expert, but I have been diagnosing and rebuilding a few failed rx7 boxes lately, and broken springs are somewhat common on rx7 and miata boxes - at least in racing applications

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/29/21 9:26 a.m.

Not a great pic, you can see the spring around the inside perimeter of the hub and the slots where the keys go. 

This one is actually installed backwards, it should span all three slots. It's bent now too, so no tension on the keys. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/21 11:55 a.m.

I've heard of the key springs bending, but for the life of me I can't figure out how that even happens.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/29/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah, I assume has to do with being in backwards, but who knows. 

Seems like a common failure for the spring is the locating tang on the end shearing off.

Hopefully none of this applies to Hungary Bill's Toyota trans! 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/21 3:41 p.m.

The springs should be replaced but I would expect them to be in the kit.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/29/21 4:06 p.m.

I've always called those dogs.  Is the picture supposed to be of a broken part?  That looks pretty darn normal to me, so maybe one of the other two is broken?

Those go in the slots shown on the hub above, and engage the notches on the blocker rings.  When you shift, the rib on top is pushed by the shift collar, which pushes the blocker ring into the gear to "synchronize"  the speed of the two units.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
feD1SoorEwbxyIT04tMxPfpMjIjDpKnJekhfzNgFNz7UCVSTI3R72rAnWPwXTWak