1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/13 2:24 p.m.

If I wanted to shift, I'd have a transmission that would let me!

corytate
corytate SuperDork
8/16/13 8:12 p.m.
carbon wrote: I think for the future of enthusiast cars, toyota is at a crossroads. In order to save their souls, they need to build (not berkleying outsource) an analog sportscar like a powerful and high revving (at least 400+hp and 9000rpm) big brother to the gt86 with tactile steering and a visceral driving experience. make it light weight and low tech, make room for big tires, make it stout enough to handle big power, and make it fairly reasonably priced. Not a halo car. Just a statement that they havent lost the path.

I vote for a REAL Gt-R competitor. priced like the gt-r was when it came out @ around 85k, except rwd and manual trans only unlike the isf.
hell, use the dead sexy isf platform, that 2ur engine, a STRONG 6 speed manual rwd trans, and we're good. Over build it like they overbuilt the supra and people will still be obsessed with them 15-20 years later, like people still are over the mk4 supra.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/17/13 2:09 a.m.

Toyota is always rumored to be making a new Supra or MR2.

Those were rumored for years and we got the FRS from them, lol. Nobody ever rumored a 240SX from them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/13 2:10 p.m.

Update: The new tiny Toyota is probably this small "CUV" meant to compete with the Honda Fit:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/toyota-allowing-dealers-to-drop-scion-but-tells-them-that-new-product-on-way-fr-s-ragtop-small-cuv/

I'd rather like to believe that this is the next step in slowly acclimating SUV owners back to the station wagons and hatchbacks they actually need, rather than Toyota going back to their old ways of perpetually disappointing us.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
8/19/13 5:30 p.m.

I thought the convertible FR-S was officially a no go though only that jalop rag confirms it so big barrel of salt.

Seems like that type of platform would be wasted on a CUV. I'm willing to bet Toyota realizes they'd sell more, thus recoup the cost faster, with something that isn't a niche a sports car and have a mass market proven system. Though if it malfunctions.... Well see the "unintended acceleration" "issue" that may or may not exist.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/19/13 10:21 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
BAMF wrote: I want a 4/5 passenger wagon or sedan hatch (Audi A7 type thing) based on the FRS/BRZ. It doesn't need to be much bigger for me than the Frisbee twins, but back seat space approximately like my Mazda3 would be sufficiently ample for my needs.
So... you want a RWD WRX with a sloped hatch?

Sounds like fun to me. The hatch doesn't even have to be sloped much or at all.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/13 11:33 p.m.

basically he wants a toyota E36

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/20/13 8:45 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: basically he wants a toyota E36

Or a Subie E36, I'm no brand loyalist. Heck, I'd even go for a Mazda one if that were an option. In all seriousness, if BMW sold the 1 series hatch in the USA, I'd probably already have one.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
8/20/13 8:48 p.m.

I'd like Mazda to forget the rotary and make an MX-7. Basically, just a slightly bigger Miata coupe. Give it the closest thing they can make to a K20 and call it a day. Or get crazy, and make it some kind of turbo I4 with around 300hp. Double wishbones all-around, and a real LSD. They can even put fake backseats in it too.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
8/21/13 10:10 a.m.
carbon wrote: It broke my heart when they announced that the gt86 would be so subaru part intensive. I was hoping for a 3zzgte or an next gen aluminum beams and double wishbones. Seems to me that the fact that toyota needs to farm out sportscars brings shame on their house. You hear a lot of people talk about toyota being a boring company, I think historically that is very inaccurate. 2000gt, 1st gen celicas, ae86, fj40, supra, all tracs, mr2s, 4runners with removable hardtops fzj80, matrix, is300, isf, lfa. what a diverse and exciting line up theyve had through out the years. But look at the line up now, its like they think producing an interesting car will scare the old folks out of buying a camry. I think for the future of enthusiast cars, toyota is at a crossroads. In order to save their souls, they need to build (not berkleying outsource) an analog sportscar like a powerful and high revving (at least 400+hp and 9000rpm) big brother to the gt86 with tactile steering and a visceral driving experience. make it light weight and low tech, make room for big tires, make it stout enough to handle big power, and make it fairly reasonably priced. Not a halo car. Just a statement that they havent lost the path.

Excellent post, my thoughts are nearly the same. I owned a hatchi roku, 4Runner, two MR2s and an IS300. All were wonderful in their own way and dead reliable. My Subaru and Saab experiences include several engine rebuilds and much transmission grief. Please Toyota make something interesting and good again.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
8/21/13 10:37 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Toyota made an e36, it's called an is300. Its a shame they didn't make a factory turbo one (2jzgtte/v160), that car would have been a cult car. I guess I'll have to make my own.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YgexXqus0cjNgYkpqHcKhjgAXQgrMxNgEAPfsuYrQ9rdsORia7E7zWK90WDEBpqL