mherbert4701
mherbert4701 New Reader
3/21/23 3:25 p.m.

Hi all,

I got back into HPDE last year after a hiatus when I wanted to see how my (new to me) 2018 F80 M3 6MT would do  on the track ....and I was hooked. However, I did run it off on two wheels when I came in hot on a turn and let the brakes off too early and gassed it to much. I recovered, pitted out,  car was good, and went on my way. this year I started and as I pushed myself (the car has more capability than my driving at this point)  - I am concerned it's a matter of when, not if, I run it seriously off track and I don't want to do that for this F80 M3 as I want to keep it long term. 

I recently picked up a 2017 m240i  RWD that has 90K on the clock, been taken care of reasonably well by 3 previous owners, and was thinking of using that as my primary track car even I picked it up for a alternate car as I live in semi-rural area with no public transportation, and if the F80 M3 is down for maintenance, still need to get to work and take care of family stuff. In short, a dedicated trackable street car. I would see about putting a harness so i'm in the seat better than the OEM 3 point seat belt, a set of track tires, better brake pads. 

Alternatively, I was thinking of looking for a e92 330i or an e46 330ci that I can learn on, put it harness, seats, roll bar/cage, etc.  

I'm open to the group thoughts on this. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
3/21/23 3:47 p.m.

What's your budget?

Only double black diamond slipper slopes in this hobby. Might as well start shopping tow rigs.

Toot
Toot Reader
3/21/23 5:30 p.m.

In reply to mherbert4701 :

Great idea not tracking that car.....especially if it is stock.  We tracked a m4 for 2 years before up grading brakes and tires.  Never went off track but the curbing/ rumble strips would brake the wheel sensors etc.   For either car if you track them get slotted/solid rotors that aren't drilled because they tend to crack and warp.  I would get another set of wider rims and at least 100tw tire ( apex racing helper me set up mine to make it trackable). Good luck

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/23 5:31 p.m.

Lolz.

The e46 is a well proven path and quick enough to be fun for a long time.

There are also tons of upgrades available if the speed bug bites too hard.

He'll, you can still find them less than 2k in a condition that would be perfect for a racecar / track car.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/23 6:07 p.m.

An E46 330i is a great choice, but be aware of the issues related to unibody cracks at the rear subframe mounting points.  It can all be fixed, but requires a bunch of welding and disassembly.  You don't want to take it out on the track without addressing that.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/23 6:28 p.m.

I'd probably suggest the e92 328 over the 330... although, I think there's an article floating around here where someone built up an e92 330i to be faster than a bone-stock e92 M3.  But, most of the handling bits and bobs from that should make an 328 just as fun and easy/easier a learning tool.

but, you're looking for a "get seat time" HPDE car, and to me, that means bone-stock NA powered inline-6.  And (iirc) the e46 330 and the e92 328 have pretty much the same engine.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
3/21/23 6:41 p.m.

128i is also a great option. E36's are fantastic as well.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/21/23 9:43 p.m.

I think an alternate track car is a god idea. 

While I'm a fan of disposable Japanese cars I take it from you pics your a dedicated BMW guy so that's likely not an option for you.

I'd simply find a solid example (regardless of model) that's known to be reliable and go with that........regardless of whether it's an E30 or F80 or something in between.

Now backing up a bit.......if you are pushing hard enough that you feel going off is inevitable.....you need to dial it back or find a coach. 

If perchance you are highly susceptible to red mist then yeah get the safety gear on the car asap.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/21/23 10:15 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

I think an alternate track car is a god idea. 

The gods truly do want us to be happy.

I do agree, simple, clean non-turbo is the weapon of choice here.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/21/23 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

For once my lack of proof reading turns out to be divine advice.

mherbert4701
mherbert4701 New Reader
3/22/23 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Yep, I saw a 128i but was sold before I was able to snag it. thanks!

Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/22/23 11:52 a.m.

I ran a 228i on track for a couple seasons. The 2L turbo doesn't really stir the blood but with some grippy tires (R-S4's), Schroth harness and decent pads / fluid, it was extremely capable, occasionally overtaking older M3's on track. That said, that motor isn't up to serious track work for multiple reasons. The B58 in the 240i also has its share of bugs but is definitely a stronger choice. N55 M235i with the OG M2 baffled oil pan would be my vote. Good reliability, good power, decent price of entry for a modern BMW.

Like others have said, dedicated non-turbo track car = less headache and more money to spend on seat time vs maintenance. A well setup E36 running the M50 engine is probably the best budget platform second to the Miata at the moment, IMO. 

mherbert4701
mherbert4701 New Reader
3/22/23 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yeah, I'm a dedicated BMW guy..i have some tools and did a lot of DIY work on my e46, and e39 BMWs so am comfortable on maintenance. Other stuff is send to my indy mechanic...a man has to know his limitations. 

I'll look for some e46 and e92 3 series.

mherbert4701
mherbert4701 New Reader
3/22/23 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Peanu_Keeyes :

yes a co worker of mine tracks Miata - he said the same thing - e36 or a Miata

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/22/23 12:28 p.m.

There is a 2008 BMW 128i 6-speed for sale near me for $7K (nmna). It seems to have been well maintained but is a bit rough cosmetically. Perfect for a track car!

It is in Ocala, FL and I saw it on a FL Bimmer classifieds page on FB.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/22/23 12:33 p.m.

As mentioned, for a track-only car, it's the whole package: car, trailer, and something to pull it with. Do you have the second two already? If not, start there first, since you'll need them to get the car home, unless you're okay with renting both.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
3/22/23 12:34 p.m.

In reply to mherbert4701 :

In that case I stand by my "find the best example you can" then flog the snot out of it and enjoy................

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yPowik1z0yW4ARbjqWOyrOjEzOEK3opyZsn42DWT9muE8ep3llFayk5nLRHLzmib