Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
11/13/17 8:47 a.m.

So white_fly's thread about a dual-purpose daily/track car reminded me that I needed to ask you guys about what kinds of policies you used for track insurance.  I'm familiar with single-event type insurance and there seems to be some options there.  The ones I've seen in the past were pretty expensive, like $300-$500 per event with a $5K deductible.  However, checking the online quote calculator for the Hagerty/RLI insurance was much better ($150/day with $2K deductible for $20K car).  If anyone has actual experience with this type of insurance I'm sorry to hear it, but I'd like to know what that was like.  Any hiccups or I-wish-I-knew-at-the-time stuff?

Besides single-event insurance, someone on this forum (I can't remember who unfortunately) mentioned that they had track days covered in their everyday plan because it "wasn't considered racing".  That came as a bit of a surprise and I can only imagine it wasn't State Farm or their ilk providing such a policy.  Anyone know of such a company/plan?

And before anyone chimes in with, "you don't need insurance on a $1500 Miata!" or the like - let's just assume we're talking about taking a $20K car out a few times a year.  Or you know, anything you wouldn't want to stuff into a tire wall and not cry about it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/13/17 9:59 a.m.

Also check the calculator at Lockton Affinity. I was chatting with Ryan Staub about these policies nearly a decade ago as they were just beginning to be offered. 

They give deals on multiple events, and I suspect I will become a huge customer of theirs if I end up buying a Level 2 Performance Pack GT Mustang next year. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/13/17 10:01 a.m.

I would be very wary of anyone saying their normal insurance covers HPDE, that's likely some subterfuge from an agent. 

All the major carriers have had wording in their policies for well over a decade regarding "driving on a circuit" or etc regardless of being timed or not. Make sure you read the policy from your specific insurance carrier.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
11/13/17 10:06 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-track-day-insurance/109719/page1/

This covers some of what you ask, but it's been a while since I've been through that thread. I use lockton anytime I'm in my newer car, fortunately I've never had to use the policy, but I've read in several forums that's it's pretty hassle free when you have to call on it.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/13/17 10:08 a.m.

I bought insurance 7 times through RLI this year and have been happy with it, never had to use it though. I have talked to people at events who had insurance through RLI and Hagerty when they wadded up cars and had no issues with getting their $$. One thing to think of is that the majority of the issues are going be inside of the deductible amount, especially for a lower power car. Just make sure you've got the $2k on hand and you're prepared to use it.

As far as using your normal insurance I also know someone who had a C7 Vette that was a write off covered by his policy with one of the major carriers, I don't remember which. He also has some massive business policies with the same company so no clue if that helped him. Coincidentally, I met another guy with a wadded up C7 who's insurance carrier told him to cram it when he tried to claim a DE accident.

As a point of information I just bought a cheap Integra that's going to become a track rat. Running numbers, deciding my comfort level about dropping $2k on the deductible, tracking generally making the car crappier (rock chips, rubber everywhere, windshield chips, etc) and pricing out consumables it makes more sense to me, even for a handful of events a year.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
11/13/17 10:26 a.m.

Sorry, I'm that $1500 miata guy :P

I've heard really good things about Locton Affinity. That's my plan for when I eventually can afford a Cayman as a DD and occasionally take it out for fun in DE3/4 :)

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/17 10:41 a.m.

I feel like destruction of property is the icing on the self-preservation cake that keeps one at 8/10s in HPDE.  

The older I get, blowing up or wrecking my car is way down on the list of considerations.

Regarding insurance companies, I recently had to renew my term life policy and I have a hard time telling any lies.  They started probing into motorsports activities and I answered truthfully.  They asked me how many times I had been over 100mph in timed competition in the last 12 months.  I said about 1600 times.  "Yes, ma'am.  I said one-thousand six hundred times."  

I also took two flights in a Cessna 150 with my friend who is a flight instructor.  

New policy specifically prohibits any coverage while I'm behind a yoke, but the racing is fine.  angry

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/17 10:54 a.m.

The Lockton Affinity people have a pretty decent deal with SCCA for Track Night in America events so that is what I used. Didn't crash so I never had to explore whether it was good or bad, but it was inexpensive for that particular event.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
11/13/17 12:20 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback and links.  Especially that other thread about insurance (whoops). 

z31maniac said:

I would be very wary of anyone saying their normal insurance covers HPDE, that's likely some subterfuge from an agent. 

All the major carriers have had wording in their policies for well over a decade regarding "driving on a circuit" or etc regardless of being timed or not. Make sure you read the policy from your specific insurance carrier.

Yeah, it sounded optimistic to me as well, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  

Harvey - yeah I noticed that if it was a Track Night in 'Murica event that the Hagerty/RLI calc quote was 2/3 the cost.  I found it a bit ironic since you're out there with a bunch of beginners and no instructors.  Whatever, I'll take it where I can get it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pt9hLheipdg3tk9WsU9Uu1qw1EH5gunYK6Eiv6iDtXsDZHejEzWFBchxQjcV3BPI