1 2 3
Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
7/29/10 10:17 p.m.

I'd love to find one with an LS1 for under $10k. I've done an engine swap, and it was a total pain in the ass. The rotary, love it or hate it, is the main thing wrong with that car.... if I can get 150 more reliable horsepower with better mileage, then count me in. I also think the look could be better, but I've heard they are sublime to drive.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
7/29/10 10:47 p.m.

I have a '90 Miata and my friend let me try out his RX-8 just the other day. Fun car, especially to wind it up to redline, but I would definitely stay with the Miata, especially if I had a MSM.

Although the RX-8 is quick, it just feels too heavy for my taste, perhaps becasue I'm used to driving the Miata as my daily driver and my Locost on the weekend. My friend also complained about the fuel economy being terrible.

Despite being a fair bit bigger than the Miata, I was surprised at how little headroom there was in the RX-8.

My wife and I have 2 kids, so the CR-V takes care of that. You mentioned that you have an SUV, so it sounds like you're covered.

Mark

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
7/30/10 4:56 a.m.

^I'll say this: my next "fun car" WILL have a back seat, so I can go for drives with SWMBO and the little guy. Going for a drive solo just isn't the same.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/10 5:57 a.m.

If you do HPDEs, you may find the RX8 a bit nicer on the track than a Miata. More power, closed roof, longer wheelbase. In reality, you probably can't go wrong either way if you go into it knowing all the quirks of RX8 ownership.

Didn't all manual RX8s come with Torsens?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
7/30/10 8:21 a.m.
mndsm wrote: The lack of power in the RX8 made me cry. Stick with the MSM. Boosties are fun.

You're confusing me. You do realize that the RX8 is faster than an MSM, right?

Jeff
Jeff Dork
7/30/10 9:36 a.m.
njansenv wrote: ^I'll say this: my next "fun car" WILL have a back seat, so I can go for drives with SWMBO and the little guy. Going for a drive solo just isn't the same.

There is nothing more fun than seeing your kids grinning and giggling 'cause they are on a Sunday drive with Dad. I used to take mine up to Julian for ice cream on the back roads when we lived in San Diego. We had a blast!

OK, I'll stop now.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/30/10 9:46 a.m.

In reply to MCarp22:

I'm not detracting on the fun factor of either car, just pointing out the obvious. The RX-8 is a larger touring car. Some of my Miata crazy associates refuse to even consider the merits of the RX-8, since it has back seats.

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
7/30/10 11:06 a.m.

I vote Miata.

You already have an SUV as a people mover, so why buy a car that is a compromise to carry an extra kid? Use the MSM as an excuse to get one on one time as a treat for each child.

The spinning triangles scare me in the long term department, while 250,000 mile Miatas are everywhere. Have you ever seen an $850 2004 Miata? (That only needed a motor? not a balled up one.)

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
7/30/10 11:42 a.m.

That $850 RX-8 is an anomaly. You don't see that sort of thing everyday,and I don't believe that it even happened unless the car had more issues than just needing an engine. The RX-8 has dropped in value pretty fast,but not to the point where they are selling in the triple digit prices regularly.

By the way I vote RX-8 as I owned one,and I would love another someday. Mine was an 04,and never seemed to be lacking any power,but then again I am a 1st gen RX-7 owner with 100 hp stock. Having the family with you is fun as well.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
7/30/10 1:14 p.m.

Well this thread has sure been definitive.

I vote RX8, just 'cause I like to undermine "the answer"

I also happen to like them quite a bit, quirks and all.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/30/10 1:23 p.m.

No matter the decision, you can't lose. I've spent a bit of time in each. They both rock.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
7/30/10 1:27 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
mndsm wrote: The lack of power in the RX8 made me cry. Stick with the MSM. Boosties are fun.
You're confusing me. You do realize that the RX8 is faster than an MSM, right?

Yeah, but the rx-8 FEELS slower. Granted, I'm used to something with a little more go juice.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
7/30/10 1:34 p.m.
Sofa King wrote: I vote Miata. You already have an SUV as a people mover, so why buy a car that is a compromise to carry an extra kid? Use the MSM as an excuse to get one on one time as a treat for each child.

To answer your question, I can see the need for a back seat arising when my wife takes one child in the SUV to do "X" and I need to take the other child to do "Y". I just don't feel comfortable letting my child ride in the front seat of the Miata. The MSM is my daily driver right now and it's fun but I don't use it for anything else such as autocross. The rex is a year newer with a lot less miles and a lot more creature comforts. While heated leather seats may not be the most performance oriented thing they are nice for the daily drive. I think I'm gonna lean on my GM a little more when he returns on Monday and see if he'll give me any more for the MSM. If I can get equity in the deal I think I'll do it.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
7/30/10 1:59 p.m.

In reply to hrdlydangerous:

What about all those other cars in your profile? None of those can haul a kid in the back seat in a pinch?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/30/10 2:10 p.m.

I would get the RX8 and save my pennies to make it LSxier.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
7/30/10 2:14 p.m.

I must say that as a parent, it is interesting to see how some people (obviously non-parents) think of toting a "kid" is roughly the same thing as stuffing an odd suitcase behind the seat. Even more humorous is the notion that you shouldn't "compromise" your car buying decision by factoring in the kids. My wife and I sold a very nice Corvette when we started a family because it didn't have a backseat and therefore would never be driven. When you are a parent, kids dominate every aspect of your life, or at least they should. IMO.

Buy the car with the backseat.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
7/30/10 2:22 p.m.

I rode in the "backseat" of my dad's 68 corvette convertible. I was 0-3 years old at the time and with the top up there was a nice spot for a child to lay down in there.

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
7/30/10 3:37 p.m.

In reply to hrdlydangerous: That changes things! I didn't realize that the MSM was car 2, I assumed that it was car 3 !

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 4:29 p.m.

Well, if we are going into the argument of hauling kids around.. can you get a deal on an MS3? It's pretty much a four door miata with the engine driving the wrong wheels

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
7/30/10 4:36 p.m.

Neither an MS3 or an RX8 can match a Miata in reliability. That means a lot to me.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 5:29 p.m.

somebody else mentioned it (but I cannot find it) why not trade the MSM for the RX8 and then pick up a $1000 miata a little later?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/30/10 8:50 p.m.

Not meaning to threadjack but I'm in a similiar dilemna. My daughter has an 04 RX8 and has gotten in over her head with finances. She wants to trade cars with me and me take over the payments on the RX8. She would get my 99 Miata that way. I have been considering a slightly bigger car for myself. I travel for work and if I can drive there in a day or less then I drive. Packing in a Miata takes some creative loading sometimes. And the Miata doesn't have cruise control. OK, I'm getting old and spoiled. I would like the bigger trunk, more comfortable seats and the people I work with will like the more room, backseat included. They don't like to get in the Miata, too small and low. Downside is the past year or so I've put some money into the Miata. Things like a new Robbins cloth top, Bilstien shocks, RB front anti-sway bar, CarboTech brake pads, K&N drop-in air filter, new Azenis for daily driving and an extra set of light rims with R-Comps. Just punched the button on a new set of R-comps as I corded one. the car autocrosses well now and I'm right with the fast guys in C-Stock now. About 2 years ago I replaced the engine with a low mileage one out of a 2000 Miata so the engine has 100,000 less than the odo states. She would reap the benefits of my improvements. The RX8 does has MazdaSpeed springs (w/stock shocks) and HP+ brake pads. Also had a new engine installed under warranty this past winter. 6-speed manual and cruise control but it does have a sunroof . She also has an extra set of stock rims that I could use for R-comps or autocross tires, depending on what class I decide to run it in. BSP with the springs, maybe an street tire class? Wife says do it but make her pay 2K on $100 monthly payments for the Miata while I just take over her payments (that I co-signed for anyway). I can afford the bad mileage and payments easily even though I'm also paying on my wifes new fully loaded 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited. Thinking real serious about it, especially if I can "borrow" back the Miata for autocross. She autocrosses also when she can so I can co-drive with her instead of her co-driving with me.
The things we do for our kids.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
7/30/10 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Otto_Maddox:

None of those cars have the safety standards I would consider putting a two year old or new born into. Thanks for looking in my garage though. Don't forget to vote it up.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/30/10 10:50 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: None of those cars have the safety standards I would consider putting a two year old or new born into.

I guess that is the kind of changes people go thrue when they become parents. The mentality of "I survived riding in the front seat of a (insert old car here) when I was 3" REALLY goes away.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/1/10 6:28 a.m.

2 year olds should NOT ride in the front seat of anything with airbags.

Trade the Miata.

But, you've already made your decision. Looks to me that everyone who has kids agrees with you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOoatxQia8frS3kZq5BpFBpp0w27McIPstdInShFbYDnNe85bMTymi9okYRKvCmZ