1 2
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/18/16 9:38 p.m.

I am shopping for a trailer brake controller to install in my new to me truck (2002 F350 V10) and have found two different controllers that seem to be well thought out but I am looking for first hand experience on either unit or if you would like to add another unit please do so. The truck will be towing either a 8.5 x 20 enclosed trailer (older Haulmark) or a 7 x 16 open trailer, the enclosed trailer will see longer tow's, stepper grades, and more weight, the open trailer will be used in a more local setting with no set weight.

The two units are the CURT TriFlex 51140 and the Tekonsha 90195 P3, the Curt unit is priced lower than the Tekonsha but I want something that preforms well as I had the "pleasure" of using a cheap brake controller a few years ago and do not want to revisit that eventful trip.

Thanks, Paul B

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/16 9:49 p.m.

We used a older version of the P3 for years and I loved it. Way better than anything cheaper I ever tried or any other brand. It had consistant smooth engagement and felt much more stable under sudden heavy braking. The only thing I have found better is the integrated one in our current truck. I highly recommend the Prodigy.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/16 10:00 p.m.

I bought a P2 based on reccomendations here, but never got around to installing it(or the brakes on the trailer) before selling them. If you're interested I'd sell it for $50-shipped in the lower-48. The box is worn, but otherwise it's brand new.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
3/18/16 10:28 p.m.

I had the predecessor to the Prodigy P3 on my Tacoma, and bought a P3 after just a little research for the 4Runner that replaced it. It simply works. I don't need to do anything, and that in my book is perfection.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/18/16 11:01 p.m.

Tekonsha is what was recommended to me and I have been happy with mine.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/18/16 11:02 p.m.

I've used the P3s in a few different vehicles. It's a great controller and very easy to get set up to work well with basically any tow rig / trailer combo. And once it's adjusted for your trailer and load, you can pretty much forget it's there for the rest of the drive.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie
3/19/16 5:28 a.m.

I've had two Tekonsha Prodigy units. My latest is the 3 version. They work very well and I will absolutely buy another Prodigy in the future if I needed a new controller for whatever reason.

wclark
wclark Reader
3/19/16 6:35 a.m.

I have used a P2 for years and am very happy with it. Highly recommended. SeemstheP3 may have some useful added features if you need those.

imgon
imgon Reader
3/19/16 6:36 a.m.

+1 for the P3, I have one in my truck. I tow my car on an open trailer and we have a 12' enclosed trailer for work. The controller works great on both, no adjustment needed when switching from one to the other. With the car trailer empty it still works well. My old controller needed adjustment between empty and loaded.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/19/16 6:49 a.m.

Timely discussion! I was just starting to do some research into brake controllers last night. Pete, if no one else takes up your offer first, I'd be interested in the P2.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/19/16 8:19 a.m.
imgon wrote: +1 for the P3, I have one in my truck. I tow my car on an open trailer and we have a 12' enclosed trailer for work. The controller works great on both, no adjustment needed when switching from one to the other. With the car trailer empty it still works well. My old controller needed adjustment between empty and loaded.

Even if it doesn't feel extra grabby when the trailer is empty, you should still turn it down (the gain, not the boost setting). Otherwise, it'll over-do the braking if you have to make a panic stop and lock up the trailer tires, which ends badly.

Basically, the P3 has 2 adjustments: gain, which determines the maximum braking power it'll deliver (set in volts to the trailer brakes) and boost, which determines how aggressively it brings the brakes in (set in 4 steps from 0 to 3).

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
3/19/16 9:09 a.m.

I had good luck with the lower level Tekonsha Primus IQ. Pulling a 22' enclosed ranging from empty to exploring the limits of F150 towing capacity it never did anything I didn't want it to do. Make sure you put it where it is easy to adjust so that you actually bother to and never put it where your knee hits it from the driver seat.

logdog
3/19/16 9:28 a.m.

Somebody mark it on the calendar. This may be the first time there has been so much agreement on something!

logdog
3/19/16 9:29 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I bought a P2 based on reccomendations here, but never got around to installing it(or the brakes on the trailer) before selling them. If you're interested I'd sell it for $50-shipped in the lower-48. The box is worn, but otherwise it's brand new.

Thats a heckuva bargain. The OP should jump on that.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/19/16 4:16 p.m.

All I've ever heard when the heavy rv crowd is asked is "get a P3." No other brand ever gets recommended.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/19/16 4:18 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: All I've ever heard when the heavy rv crowd is asked is "get a P3." No other brand ever gets recommended.

It's one of those situations where there's not much debate because even the really good controllers aren't very expensive. Amazon lists the P3 for $120 at the moment.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/16 4:27 p.m.

I've had two Prodigy P2s and loved them. I considered the P3 but it seemed like more money for a few bells and whistles that I wouldn't use. The P2 works wonderfully so I stuck with it on this truck.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/19/16 4:30 p.m.

A little research indicates the only way you're going to get better is a super-fancy setup that senses hydraulic pressure to determine how hard you're getting on the brakes.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
3/19/16 4:31 p.m.

I got a Tekonsha. I'm 200 miles from the truck right now, so I can't tell you what it is, but it's whatever was available 2 years ago when I got the trailer. It might be a P3. It works pretty well. I tow a 16' open with about 3k lbs worth of car with a '96 F-150 (with light duty everything). The only problem I had was that I had to change the brake light switch in the truck. It turns out that, when they are worn, they like to let the brake lights flash when modulating the brakes, which turns the trailer brakes on and off.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/19/16 4:34 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: A little research indicates the only way you're going to get better is a super-fancy setup that senses hydraulic pressure to determine how hard you're getting on the brakes.

Actually, all the old school 70's trailer brake controllers did just that, with a tiny hydraulic cylinder that applied pressure against a spring. If you have a vehicle that can use that type, usually non-ABS, it's the way to go.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/19/16 4:51 p.m.

Get the P3 and the wire harness to match the truck quick easy install and auto leveling so easier set up.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
3/19/16 6:03 p.m.

I had a Curt brake controller for a time, but the adjuster wheel stopped working properly and it was stuck on nearly MAX, which wasn't good, plus the mounting bracket broke and lacked any adjustment. I've also had a couple Curt light converters fail on me, so I'm not going to be shopping them again. I've now got a P3 and I have no complaints.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/19/16 7:22 p.m.

Prodigy P3 here as well....been very happy with it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 7:37 p.m.

I use the Prodigy P2. It's preformed flawlessly on every trailer I've ever towed. The above for $50 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
3/19/16 9:49 p.m.

If anyone with a Toyota is buying a Tekonsha controller I've got a free cable for you to tie it into the Truck. I bought a used one and it came with the controller.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1sl9D4YKgEFYIYNsTGm3OGFPUA7xjlWdF0VJ7QI48Ah3qiQ48Nu8RJnxMwDjXKc