1 2
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/21/16 8:23 a.m.

The transmission won't be controlled by megasquirt. If it was a stick that would be fine but a modern auto is computer controlled and that computer talks to the ecu so you would have a challenge tying the factory transmission controller (tcu) to the aftermarket ecu.

The accord doesn't have modern safety; it's about 28 years too old for that!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/16 8:26 a.m.
dculberson wrote: The transmission won't be controlled by megasquirt. If it was a stick that would be fine but a modern auto is computer controlled and that computer talks to the ecu so you would have a challenge tying the factory transmission controller (tcu) to the aftermarket ecu. The accord doesn't have modern safety; it's about 28 years too old for that!

Ahh, interesting information. So I have to stick with a stick. So if I bought a MS PNP for say a Mazda 626, how much easier is that than doing megasquirt myself on an engine like the Freestyle has in it normally?

Yes indeed, the Accord is not safe, but it's what I have.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/16 9:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Basically, I want to build a reliable minivan with modern safety and everyday reliability for $2K. If that's not possible, fine, I'll continue to fold the kids into the Accord.

I almost think you'd be better off trolling CL for a low-cost minivan that's priced below market because of an issue that's easy for you to fix. Most issues have to be easier than a transverse transmission swap + new engine management software, right?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/16 9:51 a.m.
dj06482 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Basically, I want to build a reliable minivan with modern safety and everyday reliability for $2K. If that's not possible, fine, I'll continue to fold the kids into the Accord.
I almost think you'd be better off trolling CL for a low-cost minivan that's priced below market because of an issue that's easy for you to fix. Most issues have to be easier than a transverse transmission swap + new engine management software, right?

Fair point!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/21/16 2:30 p.m.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5792463296.html

Is that a headgasket? Are they as difficult as they sound?

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/21/16 6:52 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5792463296.html Is that a headgasket? Are they as difficult as they sound?

New to the Subaru world myself, but IIRC the Tribeca has a 6 cyl engine. Probably a 3.0. I have not heard of headgasket problems with that engine. Will check with some local Subaru people and let you know.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/21/16 8:52 p.m.

Heard back from one person. Says it is the EZ30 phase two engine that is not known to have head gasket problems.

Will keep checking with some others.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/23/16 11:46 a.m.

Two Subaru mechanics have said it is more likely a thermostat issue than anything else.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/23/16 12:14 p.m.
Hal wrote: Two Subaru mechanics have said it is more likely a thermostat issue than anything else.

Thanks for checking on that for me!!!

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/24/16 11:55 a.m.

Did some more checking at C&C this morning. Most said thermostat with the worst case being a water pump. Evidently water pump is a PITA to replace because it is behind the front timing chain cover wit a bunch of fragile bolts to remove to get to it.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
9/24/16 12:17 p.m.

The 1st gen Mazda6 had essentially that engine, throttle by wire, and was offered with a manual transmission and they aren't complete unicorns. That's where I'd start.

Alternative plan: Find wrecked Taurus X with a good engine and trans, do a full subframe and electronics swap. That will get you the 3.5L "Cyclone" duratec and the much better 6F automatic trans.

carzan
carzan Dork
9/24/16 11:13 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5792463296.html Is that a headgasket? Are they as difficult as they sound?

Relative has one of these. Same symptom. I told him these engines weren't known for blown head gaskets. He said hydrocarbons were detected in the coolant. Also, his is under the Takata recall. May want to check for that as well.

DIY - Head Gaskets (2007 3.0R H6)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UuwGTHsjKWz6jAEP0XWQtYssVrxACxplTdrCnJFWfhq6neCemHnX4sUwslWA5Wio