1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/21 1:04 p.m.
dps214 said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dps214 :

And it got repeated enough to be repeated by the SCCA in an article on tire pressure for track nights written by none other than multiple time National Champion Andy Hollis, which leads it a lot of gravitas. I first learned about it at Evo Driving School.

I was honestly surprised by that, I've definitely seen hollis correct people on that elsewhere. Then again, for the typical track night crowd the message they were probably trying to convey was more "don't let your tires roll over onto the sidewall" at which point it's much easier to say "look at these triangles" than give the full explanation.

Cone Coach has an article stating it as well:

https://www.conecoach.com/2015/03/11/tire-pressures-finding-the-sweet-spot/

6/12/21 1:11 p.m.
dps214
dps214 Dork
6/12/21 1:22 p.m.
dps214 said:

In reply to dps214 :

And it got repeated enough to be repeated by the SCCA in an article on tire pressure for track nights written by none other than multiple time National Champion Andy Hollis, which leads it a lot of gravitas. I first learned about it at Evo Driving School.

I was honestly surprised by that, I've definitely seen hollis correct people on that elsewhere. Then again, for the typical track night crowd the message they were probably trying to convey was more "don't let your tires roll over onto the sidewall" at which point it's much easier to say "look at these triangles" than give the full explanation.

Cone Coach has an article stating it as well:

https://www.conecoach.com/2015/03/11/tire-pressures-finding-the-sweet-spot/

I mean that article also says to start at the tire's max pressure rating which is wildly incorrect on any performance oriented tire.

It does correctly identify that you want to be running at the rubber changeover point, it just misidentifies that that's what the triangles are (always) pointing at.

The photo that trackdayguru article used shows a tire that clearly wants to (and was) run at the bottom of the triangle.

6/12/21 1:29 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I get that they are just indicators for where the wear bars are in the tread, I'm just stymied on how prevalent the incorrect assertion is.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/12/21 1:48 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

So how did the incorrect version get started, and why is it so prevalent? 

IDK, I'd never heard it until this thread.

I think it's not a horrible idea, it probably WAS put there so it DIDN'T scrub off. So saying it's there to show where the scrub should come to isn't really that far off, just not entirely correct.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
6/12/21 4:00 p.m.
  • TWI: Tread wear indicator – a device, such as a triangle or a small Michelin Man icon, located where the tread meets the sidewall, and indicating the location of the raised wear bars in the tire tread channels – TWI is also used to refer to the raised wear bars themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WgtzEWUqnWveHvVRm1upMvjqFMkekWFumGAUzxGnKKMIBGh923mdHQgtZ6K21nqK