former520
former520 Reader
9/21/13 5:01 p.m.

I have recently changed an o2 sensor on my 96 Dakota. Upon its replacement, I am still getting a P0132 - High voltage bank 1 sensor 1.

There are 2 possible issues that can cause this, bad o2 or bad wiring. When I replaced the original sensor, the wires and sensor where all jacked up from welding on the exhaust right next to it.

I unplugged the sensor to see what code I would get and I received the same P0132 code. By my interpretation, I should be looking for a short somewhere in the harness or possibly a bad computer from the other sensor shorting out due to the welding?

What should I be testing for to figure out what is my culprit?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/21/13 5:03 p.m.

Heater circuit is melted to the sensor output wire.

former520
former520 Reader
9/21/13 9:30 p.m.

What code should I be seeing if everything is OK and the sensor is unplugged?

former520
former520 Reader
9/21/13 11:59 p.m.

I found a wiring diagram and separated the harness into 2 parts. o2 plug to main harness and then again at the ecu itself. I tested each section and found no shorts or cross continuity. Harness looks good. Plugged the harness back together and tested again from end to end and all was ok. Could I be looking at a bad ecu?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/13 8:15 a.m.

Did you manually clear the codes the first time after replacement or after you unplugged the sensor? Otherwise it will take the vehicle some time to find the new code, it often won't immediately appear when something is wrong.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
9/22/13 8:20 a.m.

Normally I would not suspect the ECU, however you mentioned the exhaust was welded.

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before welding? The ECU could be suspect.

P0132 indicates the O2 is detecting a rich fuel mixture. You can force the engine to run lean by introducing a vacuum leak and see if the code goes away.

Start engine and pull some vacuum hoses ... PCV is a good one. Make sure the engine will still run with the new vacuum leak. Shut off the engine and clear the code or disconnect battery for a few min.

Restart engine and see if P0132 comes back with the vacuum leak.

If PO132 doesn't come back then it probably is not the ECU.

Good luck.

former520
former520 Reader
9/22/13 10:26 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Did you manually clear the codes the first time after replacement or after you unplugged the sensor? Otherwise it will take the vehicle some time to find the new code, it often won't immediately appear when something is wrong.

I pulled the battery to clear the code. I left the o2 sensor unplugged when I reconnected the battery to see if I would get a different code. My intent was to confirm if the issue was o2 or not. It triggered the P0132 (same) code within about a mile afterwards. I was hoping it would have been a 02 not registering code or a heater circuit code indicating the o2 was bad out of the box.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T5KJtTmC57I3SxD5nTUEyDUvGEwJAYlDLtSBR8rn0OZwzgfPI4k7guUpWDp8Fogh