1 2
joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
10/15/09 1:12 p.m.

The ideal trailer for this an aluminum trailex. Light and will tow like a dream. However they are quite expensive. Most say you get you money back when you sell it.

You could steel open too. Check in to the trailier lighting issues. I know some that towed with Cayenne's have had electrial issues. Something to do with the system that make it a pain. However nothing that can't be overcome I believe.

BradLTL wrote: Ok, so we made the purchase yesterday.... we went with a 2006 VW Touareg V8. It checks the boxes we needed: 1. Fits in the garage 2. Strong motor 3. 4wd 4. 7700lbs towing capacity 5. Got a good deal 6 (Probably the actual most important one) Wife likes it Thoughts? Experience? Advice?
Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
10/15/09 1:28 p.m.

One problem with flat-towing or using a tow-dolly for a race car - depending on where you are, the car may have to be tagged [street legal].

Personally, if I were looking for a tow vehicle with your criteria, I'd go with a van... but then again, you mentioned #6... and it's amazing how many women simply hate vans...

There was a thread here recently about the Touareg...

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/17/09 10:11 a.m.

I have to say, I've been impressed with Treg since we've had it. A couple things that are benefits most won't know about:

1. When you connect the electricals from a trailer the Touareg automatically changes the shift pattern for more effective/efficient towing.

2. When you connect the electricals from a trailer the Touareg the trailer is tied into the cars alarm system. If it is disconnected while the car is locked, the alarm goes off.

3. If you open the rear hatch and lay down the back seats, you can actually see the ball from the drivers seat making it a lot easier to hook up a trailer by yourself.

Now I just need to try these things out.... on to finding the project car!

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/19/09 8:20 a.m.

the "issues" people had with the cayenee are probably related to the LED taillights. They have such a low current draw that hooking up a trailer with regular incandescent lights will cause problems and blow fuses. You have to use a relay pack that draws power from a source with greater current capacity and uses the stock taillights just to switch relays.

zara29
zara29 New Reader
10/22/13 6:49 a.m.

Standard Towing is 1440lbs. Maximum Towing is 5980lbs.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/13 7:33 a.m.

Glad we got that cleared up.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/22/13 9:12 a.m.

used 7.3L powered ambulance. built in tool boxes, over built brakes and trans cooling, space for a bunk if camping at the track

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
10/22/13 9:21 a.m.
MedicineMan wrote: Just to give you some real world numbers My 08 frontier tows our camper great. It is about 18ft (so not a monster) but fully loaded it weighs around 5k. I average about 18mpg highway with that load, and 24-25 highway(taking it easy). It is a NISMO 4x4 by the way with the 6 speed manual

This is what kills me. The "compact" trucks are almost the same size as the fullsize now. My FS crewcab GMC is 19' long and weighs 5k.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/22/13 9:25 a.m.

I thought the 18ft and 5k weight was referring to the camper...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
10/22/13 9:41 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: I thought the 18ft and 5k weight was referring to the camper...

From web-sources, Frontier is either 17.4'(205") or 18.25'(219") in length, 73" wide and 73.9" tall. The 2wd CC GM's are 18.9'(229") long, 78" wide and 74" tall.

Taco is 221" long, 75" wide, the Dakota 218" long and 72" wide and the first gen Tundra 230" or 219" by 75".

Basically the same size vehicle. If you don't have room for a full size, you don't have room for any of the "compacts" either.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/22/13 9:55 a.m.

4 year old thread gents.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
10/22/13 9:59 a.m.

berkeley. I got suckered in again.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/22/13 10:17 a.m.

Ha, anyway, a friend of mine always said the best compact pickup was a 1/2 ton V6 Silverado standard cab short-bed.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/13 11:01 a.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

I always thought the best truck was a borrowed one. They are like rentals but cheaper.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZtClA9nYuxnt0zPQNDUD17Bzv0UN4IxFZcvZp22xm24p42aqSV7mAwnIJRrIUPC