02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/14/18 2:15 p.m.

My 2002 has had the battery relocated to the trunk for many years. The mount is fine, but I've never been fully happy with the cable. The kit included large-diameter welding cable, which is fine I suppose, but it's black rather than red, and I don't think my half-assed vice crimping job on the starter end is the best thing ever. Time to clean it up. The ideal would be a pre-made cable with a battery terminal on one end and a starter terminal on the other. In the old days the BMW E30 cable was the go-to, but it's become quite expensive (~$150). If there a good source for such cables at more reasonable prices? Failing that, suggestions for making one up from parts that's solid and less hacked together?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/14/18 2:17 p.m.

Get the HF hydraulic crimper and have at it.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 2:23 p.m.

Advance auto is $2/ft for 2 gauge cable.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/14/18 2:32 p.m.

The yards here charge $15 for a battery cable no matter how long it is. BMW 7 series and Mercedes C class are my go to ones. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/14/18 4:04 p.m.

Something like this if you don't want to buy a crimp tool or solder the cable? It is a compression fit to the cable.

Matching lugs

Me? I wanna buy one of these cause I have no self control when it comes to tools

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/14/18 4:16 p.m.

Chrysler lx bodies. You know, chargers, challengers, 300’s...

Besides that I’m using rural king jumper cables with new ends for my challenge vehicle battery relocation.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/14/18 4:33 p.m.

5th gen up Camaros, Caddy CTS, GTOs, Cruze, Sonic and others by GM have trunk mounted batteries, so more possible sources for cables.

Otherwise I would just redo the ends on your cables. Welding cable is darn good stuff.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/14/18 5:18 p.m.

Yup. 7 seriseriesor 5 series from pullapart for 15, with a hammer crimp and adhesive heat shrink on the starter lug for good measure.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 6:16 p.m.

Check marine supply stores like boater's world (or online). Since boats all use long lengths of battery cable, they sell higher volume and may be more affordable. Plus it's tougher stuff. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
8/14/18 6:49 p.m.

Napa sells solder on terminals either with the flux and solder already in the socket or as a pellet available separately.  They will also have red heat shrink tubing to go with it. Installed with a propane torch in 30 seconds.

The welding cable is superior to the auto parts store battery cable. More flexible due to more finer copper strands and the sheath is more heat resistant. 

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
8/14/18 7:52 p.m.

So I need to relocate my battery into the hatch area of my XR4Ti, should I run the positive cable inside the car or under it?

Also do folks use a 200 amp circuit breaker as a safety, would that be enough?

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
8/14/18 8:11 p.m.

I used an 80A fuse on the main battery for our Lemons car, it was fine.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 8:29 p.m.
GPz11 said:

So I need to relocate my battery into the hatch area of my XR4Ti, should I run the positive cable inside the car or under it?

Also do folks use a 200 amp circuit breaker as a safety, would that be enough?

I would run it inside, if at all possible. Much easier to make sure it doesn't get scraped, chafed, or have its husk torn off. Just run it down inside or next to the rocker. (hint: use the opposite rocker from where your radio antenna wiring goes, lol). 

I have the stock BMW fusible link in my e30 at the trunk-mount, and my WRX (also with a trunk battery) has a 200A fusible link (replacable) and voltmeter that I got at a car audio place. I've never blown it in 150k+ miles. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOcZT8CfO826DSJtjBNtlxiy3LhrMC5VH1etBX2M7OBC1RZjb8WrtrxTiHC7tfpv