Grantmiterko
Grantmiterko New Reader
12/26/18 8:31 p.m.

Need ideas for tube benders.  I know the ones I can buy but hoping for a more grassroots version.  Need to start building a cage 1.75” pipe. What’s everyone using?

thanks

grant 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/26/18 8:48 p.m.

a

Anything from the JD squared catalog, and if it needs to be done on the cheap, sell it after. 

Pete

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/26/18 8:51 p.m.

Check out Rogue Fabrication, my buddy has their bender and notcher and he's very happy with them. We built my rock crawler with them in his shop.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 9:07 p.m.

I just had the affordable bender delivered.  I haven’t opened it yet but I understand the first thing i will do is bend a couple tubes then the second thing i will do is convert to air over hydraulic 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/26/18 9:11 p.m.

I built mine from a set of GotTrikes plans.

http://www.gwellwood.com/tools/gottrikes-tubing-bender/

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/26/18 9:45 p.m.

Hossfeld Bender 

Grantmiterko
Grantmiterko New Reader
12/26/18 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'd be curious  how it works for you.  Like that price and that it comes with the shoes or at least one size 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/26/18 11:56 p.m.

I have the JD2, and I've been very impressed with it so far.  Built a stand from eBay plans with air/hydraulic power... it rolls around, and bends in the vertical plane so no need to be anchored.  Dies are the priciest part of a bender, so look at that.  

Here's a few threads to read:

Tube bender thread 1

Tube bender thread 2

Tube bender thread 3

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/27/18 7:49 a.m.

i bought a speedway bender with 1.75" die to build the cage for the LS1-KART... pretty happy with it considering it was only $400. it wouldnt do thin wall tube thou, wrinkled thin material. 0.120" wall tube bent beautifully.

Grantmiterko
Grantmiterko New Reader
12/27/18 11:20 a.m.

Awesome thanks for all the info!  

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/18 1:23 p.m.

I've spent the past two days playing with our new CNC bender at work and love it, but the price tag on that machine was pretty decidedly un-GRM cheeky

I'm actually really interested to see what Pat has to say about that Affordable Bender. I'm currently debating whether to buy or build a roll bar for my RX7 and that's substantially cheaper than a JD Squared. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/18 1:37 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I've spent the past two days playing with our new CNC bender at work and love it, but the price tag on that machine was pretty decidedly un-GRM cheeky

I'm actually really interested to see what Pat has to say about that Affordable Bender. I'm currently debating whether to buy or build a roll bar for my RX7 and that's substantially cheaper than a JD Squared. 

Ok i’ll go bend something later or tomorrow and report back, think i have some scraps.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/27/18 3:51 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I'm currently debating whether to buy or build a roll bar for my RX7 and that's substantially cheaper than a JD Squared. 

It's usually cheaper just to buy a roll bar, but owning the tool is forever.  Just don't figure in what your time is worth.  Ever!  cheeky

ronholm
ronholm Dork
12/27/18 4:04 p.m.

Used name brand benders are nearly free to own other than the time it takes to buy and sell them.     

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/18 4:52 p.m.
Rodan said:
Furious_E said:

I'm currently debating whether to buy or build a roll bar for my RX7 and that's substantially cheaper than a JD Squared. 

It's usually cheaper just to buy a roll bar, but owning the tool is forever.  Just don't figure in what your time is worth.  Ever!  cheeky

Exactly. Just a question of whether I want to sink the money into the tools right now.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/27/18 5:47 p.m.

If you buy a good quality tubing bender and dies for one or two jobs I highly doubt you will want to sell it. 

just my 0.02

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GHo49iSQRVQetvxb3Wcu9VSNPlWRDCyH1tAc2IgkPCRopoLUJrpgJ99rzkWC5Btw