1 2
TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
5/13/13 6:58 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Owner-Frame-Up-Restored-1981-Camaro-Yenko-Turbo-Z-/121105994158?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c327ad1ae

Turbos and carbs. Anyone get those two to work together? As in budget QJET 4BBL and cheap turbo with light boost - 5-7 psi in a challenge friendly small block

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/13/13 7:07 p.m.

Most of the blowthru carb setups are of Holley persuasion..... but easily doable with solid floats and some tuning.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/13 7:18 p.m.

the turbo-z had a draw through setup, and the most baddest ass cow catcher air dam ever. i had one on my 80.

wonder if you could use a carb enclosure with the q-jet?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/13/13 7:36 p.m.

Pontiac and Buick both had well-sorted systems in the 1980's

What do you want to know?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/13 7:56 a.m.

i worked with a guy that was going 8.60's and 165-ish in a blow-through SBC'd shoebox nova. gotta do blow-through so you can intercool the air before adding the fuel. carb enclosures are not mandatory but require less carb mods than just running a hat.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/14/13 10:05 a.m.

Pick up the OLD book Turbochargers my Hugh Macinnes

It is old enough that it mainly covers carbs. IIRC the section on fuel injection is pretty much too expensive, don't bother. There is usually 3 or 4 copies at any used book store.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/13 10:19 a.m.

My car came with two turbos and a carb.

Neither are the reason it isn't on the road right now though.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/13 10:19 a.m.

The setup on that car is a draw through using a Quadrajet. I had that system on a Chevy 250 I6 in a Chevelle. Running 5 psi it would slip the clutch in third. I've still got the carb and turbo set up.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/14/13 11:02 a.m.

I've seen a few aftermarket turbo conversions using bigger SU style carbs on four cylinder engines. Maybe have two carbs, two turbos - one of each bank?

http://www.triumphexperience.com/article/how-to-blow-through-an-su.html

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/14/13 11:11 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The setup on that car is a draw through using a Quadrajet. I had that system on a Chevy 250 I6 in a Chevelle. Running 5 psi it would slip the clutch in third. I've still got the carb and turbo set up.

I am pretty sure that you need to tell us more about this.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
5/14/13 11:34 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: The setup on that car is a draw through using a Quadrajet. I had that system on a Chevy 250 I6 in a Chevelle. Running 5 psi it would slip the clutch in third. I've still got the carb and turbo set up.
I am pretty sure that you need to tell us more about this.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

Toyman01
5/14/13 9:00 p.m.

Back when I was young and poor I had to work with what I had. The turbo setup came off Ebay for $80. The Chevelle was free from my grandmother. Add a little Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and presto, one turbocharged Chevelle.

The car originally had a 1 barrel carburetor so the inlet on the intake was close enough to the same size as the outlet on the turbocharger. A little drilling and tapping and it bolted right on. The oil line for the turbo was plumbed off the oil pressure sending unit and dumped into the pan through a fitting I tapped in there. I never did get the timing issues sorted out, but it was a hoot to play around with. 5 psi of boost was enough to get the 250 I6 to feel like a small block and my total investment was about $150. Since all the parts in the 250 are cast I didn't figure it would last long. A couple of months of hooning was all the clutch could stand and it ended up sitting until I sold it.

When I sold the car, the turbo setup was still bolted to it. It showed up in a box in my driveway a couple of months ago. Now I just need to find something stick it one.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
5/14/13 9:10 p.m.

Carb draw through systems are easier to build, set up, and tune, but lack the ability to add an intercooler, so HP and boost levels will be limited.

Garrett T3 draw through on a (Geo Metro) G10 3 cylinder, 1.0 L

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/14/13 9:15 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Carb draw through systems are easier to build, set up, and tune, but lack the ability to add an intercooler, so HP and boost levels will be limited. Garrett T3 draw through on a (Geo Metro) G10 3 cylinder, 1.0 L

So that black thing on the right side of the cylinder head is the intake manifold? How much power did that little beast make?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/14/13 9:16 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Back when I was young and poor I had to work with what I had. The turbo setup came off Ebay for $80. The Chevelle was free from my grandmother. Add a little Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and presto, one turbocharged Chevelle. The car originally had a 1 barrel carburetor so the inlet on the intake was close enough to the same size as the outlet on the turbocharger. A little drilling and tapping and it bolted right on. The oil line for the turbo was plumbed off the oil pressure sending unit and dumped into the pan through a fitting I tapped in there. I never did get the timing issues sorted out, but it was a hoot to play around with. 5 psi of boost was enough to get the 250 I6 to feel like a small block and my total investment was about $150. Since all the parts in the 250 are cast I didn't figure it would last long. A couple of months of hooning was all the clutch could stand and it ended up sitting until I sold it. When I sold the car, the turbo setup was still bolted to it. It showed up in a box in my driveway a couple of months ago. Now I just need to find something stick it one.

OK, between this, the fact that the picture is clearly taken in a sink, the jet engine thing you made, the lathe you are working on, I believe it is you Sir, yes you, who wins the internet.

Toyman01
5/14/13 9:28 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Well, the sink doesn't actually work.

It's just a cabinet in my shop.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
5/14/13 10:15 p.m.

I have available:

75 Olds 350 Rocket Garrett T3 Turbo

I'm thinking having someone set up the QJET as a blow through if cheap enough

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/14/13 10:45 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Carb draw through systems are easier to build, set up, and tune, but lack the ability to add an intercooler, so HP and boost levels will be limited. Garrett T3 draw through on a (Geo Metro) G10 3 cylinder, 1.0 L

Dear lord that picture sets my teeth on edge. That hurts my brain.

About as badly as this bullE36 M3. It's the Klein Bottle of turbo setups.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
5/15/13 4:57 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Not sure how much HP, but I did about 130 MPH at Maxton. It was fun to drive. The turbo is so big, boost and RPM were almost linear. 20 PSI, and 9000 RPM. I would guesstimate, about 150 HP, maybe a little more.

In reply to Swank Force One:

WTF are you talking about? That setup was built for almost nothing and was faster than anything else in it's class then, and now. It's a very close copy of what was a current and very popular bike turbo setup at the time, and it worked quite well.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/15/13 7:17 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: About as badly as this bullE36 M3. It's the Klein Bottle of turbo setups.

That one is seriously puzzling. It looks like a one piece factory casting. Is it like those "impossible shapes" that look more possible when you view them from a different angle?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/15/13 7:56 a.m.

Soooooo.....what are the carb mods needed to push air through a carb at mild PSI (maybe 5?) I know you need to build the sealed housing, but I'm fuzzy enough on carb theory that I don't know where to start. My understanding is that with most carbs, vacuum plays a central role to it all working. Is this one of those things where I need to be figuring out whether I have vacuum or mechanical secondaries? I probably need to buy that book, don't I?

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
5/15/13 8:12 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: That one is seriously puzzling. It looks like a one piece factory casting. Is it like those "impossible shapes" that look more possible when you view them from a different angle?

SRT-4/PT GT Turbofold, so yes.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/15/13 8:33 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to tuna55: Not sure how much HP, but I did about 130 MPH at Maxton. It was fun to drive. The turbo is so big, boost and RPM were almost linear. 20 PSI, and 9000 RPM. I would guesstimate, about 150 HP, maybe a little more. In reply to Swank Force One: WTF are you talking about? That setup was built for almost nothing and was faster than anything else in it's class then, and now. It's a very close copy of what was a current and very popular bike turbo setup at the time, and it worked quite well.

I'm not hating on it, it just hurts my brain.

Put it this way: it bugs me how less than ideal the setups on my MX6 and MSM are.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
5/15/13 9:03 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to tuna55: Not sure how much HP, but I did about 130 MPH at Maxton. It was fun to drive. The turbo is so big, boost and RPM were almost linear. 20 PSI, and 9000 RPM. I would guesstimate, about 150 HP, maybe a little more. In reply to Swank Force One: WTF are you talking about? That setup was built for almost nothing and was faster than anything else in it's class then, and now. It's a very close copy of what was a current and very popular bike turbo setup at the time, and it worked quite well.

Do you have any videos of this? I want to hear a Geo engine spinning 9k RPM.

How do you build the engines in those, is there even an aftermarket or is it all custom?

Why am I so intrigued by the idea of modding a Geo engine?

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
5/15/13 9:04 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Dear lord that picture sets my teeth on edge. That hurts my brain. About as badly as this bullE36 M3. It's the Klein Bottle of turbo setups.

Isn't that the SRT-4 manifold?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oK9PKhPUIuu3oL1Wn2ZzCpNtdAZm5kOxX1ywNasB0gkd37z7NEeiqikgLkV3WnB2