1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder New Reader
11/8/11 5:23 p.m.

Oh, and when I said learning experience/fun, I was specifically speaking of dealing directly with a car's electrical system, something I've always been a bit hesitant to deal with. Hence the interest in Megasquirt.

Using the stock ECU, all you have to deal with is the tuning (no small feat either). Since it's plug n' play with GM tuning solutions.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/8/11 6:57 p.m.

Ah, got it.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
11/8/11 7:34 p.m.

Since you're already reading Greg Banishes book, I'll also suggest using the factory ECU. Read up on HP Tuners software. I use it for my 2000 Silverado and my 2000 GTP. Pretty awesome stuff, and some incredibly knowledgeable people that know how to make the ECU's do pretty much anything.
All you need is the software, a laptop, and a cable. Pretty sure the '98 ECU in your big red car should be readable/writeable.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
11/9/11 1:00 p.m.

this thread actually has been of some help to me since i aslos just acuired my 98 camaro... i love this site ! (hug)

MechBoy
MechBoy New Reader
11/9/11 6:37 p.m.

accordianfolder,

Not to pick, but why don't you have a neat avatar?

I know you have photos to choose from. ;)

ttyl,

accordionfolder
11/10/11 12:14 a.m.

Dad,

NO.

ttyl ;)

I just spent my entire night on ffrax.com. It implanted many bad bad ideas into my feeble mind. Such as corvette c6 brakes are a relatively inexpensive way to stop much faster....

http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1130984-cts-v-brake-install-w-pics.html

And this site is ridiculously cool.

http://www.thestreetfighters.com/

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
11/10/11 5:46 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote: And this site is ridiculously cool. http://www.thestreetfighters.com/

Holla!!

just_james
just_james New Reader
11/10/11 6:03 a.m.

So after digesting some ffrax, what are your thoughts to do now?

accordionfolder
11/10/11 8:25 a.m.

Soooooo

1)Koni's/springs (strano)

2) c6 front brakes (the rears are more than ample says the everybody ever) / wheels & tires.

3) ECU?

1029381) Locate a supercharger (I'm watching every junkyard ever).

4.5) Watt's Link/Tubular K-member

4) Lighten, NASA approved roll cage, race seats, harness

5) wicked cool race dash

a) autoX/HPDE

a.2) Turbo the super.

a.4-z) tune

a.45) American Iron!?

...)

d) PROFIT & DANCE

Seriously I'm a man without a plan. I need to write things down and budget. Those are all things I want to do, but the order in which they will come and such is kinda sorta really ambiguous.

The primary issue is: I want to build a race car, but don't have a true goal for it. Right now I would love to try my hand at HPDE and eventually American Iron (Since I can't run CMC..... NO V8). Since it is a v6, the weight min is 2400 lbs (i think... which would be a good thing), other than that I need to read the rules better so I'll report back with a much more concise plan soon.

Right now I'm reading a LOT on tuning and thumbing through the factory manuals. :D

AH, and words of a now wizened (yeah right) Camaro owner. I am VERY fortunate to have gotten a 98+ v6. Tunnable ECU, big 4w disc brakes, etc.

accordionfolder
11/10/11 8:35 a.m.

One thing I would like to get done early is the pedals. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: They suck. The position for the pedals is awful, does anyone have any experience or resources for updating to race style pedals? All the Race canaros have it done, but the owners are just "presto!" done. Having never built a race car, I have no idea where to source said parts from.....

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
11/10/11 10:24 a.m.

What does that guy in the red 2nd-Gen have against Tatas?

MechBoy
MechBoy New Reader
11/10/11 10:36 a.m.

How far do you want to shift them? Are they too far apart or to close? What about the pivot points? do they have enough travel? Need to be shorter/longer etc? Make notes of what you want different.

Don't do what everybody else does, make them right for you. We can change them to fit what you want. Get the measurement of the size you want and we can machine them out one weekend.

Of course that means you have to come visit, AND bring the Camaro. :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/11 10:40 a.m.

In response to your original Koni Yellow question, how awesome a driver are you? How much experience do you have with the Camaro platform? I think that Konis (and Penske Remote Reservoirs for that matter) are only worth the extra $$$ if you are shaving 10ths of a second off your already chasing-FTD time. Sam Strano in an F-Body can make use of the better shocks, sure. But us mere mortals are probably OK with Bilstiens or whatever.

01badz28
01badz28 New Reader
11/10/11 1:18 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Having a lot of familiarity with accordion's Camaro, IMO shocks are pretty much necessary if he intends to autocross it, especially with sticky tires. The shocks wore out a long time ago, and the car's handling is pretty horrible.

Camaros also had junk shocks on them from the factory, and couldn't handle the stock springs, much less any of the popular aftermarket lowering springs you would use for handling. I'm no Sam Strano, but my Camaro felt like a totally different car post Koni's. Accordions will be even more dramatic.

Here is my .02 on modding, based on my experience:

1) Shocks (Konis, Bilsteins. Even low mileage stock replacements will be a HUGE improvment on what he has now.)

2) Bigger front sway bar. 32mm was standard on the SS / 1le car and WS6 Ram Air Firebirds, and will be a good cheap replacement for stock. Budget permitting, look at the Suspension Technologies 35mm solid bar (I have this one, no complaints), or Stranos hollow (36 or 35mm bar - I can't remember). You can go with a bigger rear bar to balance out the handling, but it isn't essential.

3) Hold off on the C6 brakes. Your car has the same two piston PBR calipers that the LS1 car did, and should be more than adequate for autocross or occasional track use. Save your money right now, and put some good brake pads in the brakes that the car has. I felt like my stock Camaro brakes were pretty good until I crossed the 400 rwhp mark. Now I'm running a Porsche 996tt based setup.

4) Seat time, seat time, seat time, and go from there.

Also is a good time to drag out a rule book and figure out where you intend to go with the car and plan accordingly.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/10/11 4:40 p.m.

Koni Yellows 4th gen fronts and 3rd gen rears. with strano springs. I believe he sells them as a package deal on his website.

MechBoy
MechBoy New Reader
11/19/11 12:12 p.m.

Hey,

Any updates?

MechBoy

MechBoy
MechBoy New Reader
11/23/11 6:07 p.m.

Hey,

Snagged you a SC. Out of a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. If you don't want it I'm sure you can trade it around. Got intake and heads and several other parts.

If you really dont want it maybe I can strap to my 307...

Call me when you can.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/13 10:23 a.m.

Anybody know what happened to this thread?

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/5/13 1:42 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Anybody know what happened to this thread?

I'm curious too. I missed it initially, just read through, and it has potential!.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LEj8ETfZHcU17VKD8eaVXqIoHTPiFdspGnacyU5J5Ioc2XSBbciMnuW2lvbDSo0q