1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/12 3:45 p.m.

Ok so after the Challenge I have decided a Fiat 1300 with cam, header and carb just isn't going to cut it in the Yugo. So I have decided that a turbo Dodge motor is a good idea. I am going to be on the look out for a parts car. What are good candidates if I am looking to make 200-250whp?

Edit although I have no idea what kind of power 1500cc Fiat axles can take.

Pat
Pat Reader
10/1/12 3:50 p.m.

For 200-250, any variant of the 2.2/2.5 turbo long block assembly will do just fine. No need to be too picky.

If you end up with a turbo 1 motor, make sure it's an '88 or later so it's a blow through set up.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/1/12 3:59 p.m.

And that's that, says Pat.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/1/12 4:06 p.m.

Hold up... turbo mopars are blow-through?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
10/1/12 4:06 p.m.

Why not 2.4? You can rebuild a N/A 2.4 to turbo specs pretty cheaply, and the neon sensors will work with Megasquirt. The SRT-4 was rated at 215 by dodge and that was supposedly conservative so 200 wheel should be cake. Take any late 90s 2.4 ,find someone that is going forged on their SRT and buy their stock pistons/rods. Easier/cheaper IMO.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
10/1/12 4:11 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Hold up... turbo mopars are blow-through?

Blow through throttle body. Earlier ones had a draw through throttle body. All are port injected.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/12 4:13 p.m.

Yep, get the newest one you can as it will have most of the improvements desired and tend to be the larger 2.5L motors.

Ditch the tiny Mitsubishi turbo and go with a proper sized Garrett, add intercooler and enjoy.

Given their relative scarcity these days, a newer drivetrain might be a better choice. Many of the T-D faithful have a stock pile of parts, so you should get connected to the "T-D Underground"

A suggestion might be a Neon 2.0 DOHC as it uses the same inboard CV joints on the transaxle and comes with 150hp out of the box, plus you might stand a chance of getting that power to the ground in the Yugo. Of course the 2.4L Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze/SRT4/PT Cruiser drivetrains are great for more torque and many of the parts will swap to the 2.0L DOHC. Plus the cross-flow head might fit the engine bay slightly better (it would in the X-1/9)

Good luck!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
10/1/12 4:14 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Given their relative scarcity these days, a newer drivetrain might be a better choice. Many of the T-D faithful have a stock pile of parts, so you should get connected to the "T-D Underground" A suggestion might be a Neon 2.0 DOHC as it uses the same inboard CV joints on the transaxle and comes with 150hp out of the box, plus you might stand a chance of getting that power to the ground in the Yugo. Of course the 2.4L Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze/SRT4/PT Cruiser drivetrains are great for more torque and many of the parts will swap to the 2.0L DOHC. Plus the cross-flow head might fit the engine bay slightly better (it would in the X-1/9) Good luck!

I don't have a parts horde, I swear!

One of the benefits of the 2.0/2.4 is the fact you can use the 420A out of the avenger/stratus (2-door)/2g DSM if you want the exhaust and intake reversed on the block.

You're friends with a TD guy and you had to ask?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/1/12 4:17 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Blow through throttle body. Earlier ones had a draw through throttle body. All are port injected.

Oh sorry... my brain went to MAF/VAF/AFMs.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/1/12 4:17 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
turboswede wrote: Given their relative scarcity these days, a newer drivetrain might be a better choice. Many of the T-D faithful have a stock pile of parts, so you should get connected to the "T-D Underground" A suggestion might be a Neon 2.0 DOHC as it uses the same inboard CV joints on the transaxle and comes with 150hp out of the box, plus you might stand a chance of getting that power to the ground in the Yugo. Of course the 2.4L Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze/SRT4/PT Cruiser drivetrains are great for more torque and many of the parts will swap to the 2.0L DOHC. Plus the cross-flow head might fit the engine bay slightly better (it would in the X-1/9) Good luck!
I don't have a parts horde, I swear! One of the benefits of the 2.0/2.4 is the fact you can use the 420A out of the avenger/stratus (2-door)/2g DSM if you want the exhaust and intake reversed on the block.
You're friends with a TD guy and you had to ask?

His didn't look weird, so i assume it's an 88 or newer.

turboswede
10/1/12 4:18 p.m.

Um, yeah.

Started in 86 on the Turbo II in the GLH-S, then 87 on the GLH-S/CSX and Shelby Daytona. The rest of the turbo cars didn't go blow-through until 1988, before that (84-97) the Turbo I motors were suck-through.

Relatively easy to correct that over-sight as the parts swap over and some electrical work is needed to use the later style idle motor.

turboswede
10/1/12 4:20 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:

Oh yeah, those useless pieces of intake constriction and points of pain and maladjustment for the ignorant masses. Aka Toyota drivers ;)

I keed, I keed.... put the crayons down Ben.

turboswede
10/1/12 4:22 p.m.

Some reference info:

http://thedodgegarage.com/turbo.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/12 4:34 p.m.
turboswede wrote: A suggestion might be a Neon 2.0 DOHC as it uses the same inboard CV joints on the transaxle and comes with 150hp out of the box, plus you might stand a chance of getting that power to the ground in the Yugo. Of course the 2.4L Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze/SRT4/PT Cruiser drivetrains are great for more torque and many of the parts will swap to the 2.0L DOHC. Plus the cross-flow head might fit the engine bay slightly better (it would in the X-1/9)

Oh really... I will keep my eye out for those as well then. So a 2.4 will fit in where a 2.0 will?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/12 4:35 p.m.

How much do the turbo 2.2/2.5s weigh? And how much does the Neon 2.0 or the 2.4 weigh?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/1/12 4:43 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Oh yeah, those useless pieces of intake constriction and points of pain and maladjustment for the ignorant masses. Aka Toyota drivers ;) I keed, I keed.... put the crayons down Ben.

Heh, i was just confused from this weekend when Dan showed up with an F2T that had the VAF set up as a blow-through... my brain still hurts over that one.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/1/12 4:44 p.m.

Why not a Lancia twin cam?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/1/12 4:47 p.m.

Rob... I have a K8 you can have for dirt cheap if you're feeling adventurous. It would make ALL the cool noises.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/1/12 5:40 p.m.

as I recall the 2.4L is just a bit taller than the 2.0l...

if you get a DOHC 2.0 you should be able to find a srt4 turbo setup fairly cheaply... the turbo housing is intigrated into the manifold so when they upgrade turbos they dump the manifold and turbo... I recall seeing them for 150$ or so when I was driving my neon ACR...

the one negative of the 2.0/2.4 is the interference engine... the sohc is non as I recall...

but either will make plenty of power in the yugo...

on a side note... what head did you use in the yugo; the yugo head or a fiat head?... the yugo should have a bit higher c/r

also might want to talk to johnny about boosting the 1.3 yugo hybrid...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/1/12 6:00 p.m.

By the way, at the Challenge I talked to Bill Cuttitta about sharing some turbo Dodge knowledge with the group. I'll try to make space for it in the mag asap.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/12 8:12 p.m.

What do you combine from a 2.4ltr with a2.0Ltr DOHC?

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
10/1/12 8:34 p.m.

^ You get a 2.0 or 2.4 DOHC. The 2.0/2.4 are identical except for the deck height of a 2.4 is roughly 1" taller, rods, pistons, and, crank differ as well but everything else interchanges. SRT4 power is the answer, SRT4 power is always the answer. Here is my easy 300hp 2.4 you should be able to put this together new for challenge money, used for damn near free.

95-02 2.4 (look in Stratus, Breeze, PT Cruiser, Caravan, Voyager)

OE Mopar SRT4 Pistons, Rods, and, Rings(Forged will deal with 500hp well tuned if the revs stay below 7k)

Neon SRT4/PT Cruiser GT Turbo: Dinky, cheap, and, easy to find, you may as well find one with the oil and water lines attached because they will work on an earlier 2.4. IF you can find one the turbo and manifold for a Mexican market Stratus R/T Turbo is preferable (T3 Flange and much larger than the TD05)

Forward Motion, AGP, or, Mopar Stg2 wastegate actuator

Gvalve style boost controler

3" o2 housing and downpipe

Now we come to the hard part I usually say 750cc injectors and megasquirt (we used the older block for the older crank sensor that megasquirt understands. I dont think there is megasquirt code for NGC 03+ engines yet) but the injectors are spendy usually over $300. Stock 04+ SRT4 injectors will deal to about 18psi which should be 275hp 320tq. 750cc will do 21 psi(the turbo cant do much more) and over 300hp 350tq

Its really hard to hurt the engine at these power levels my SRT4 has 110,000mi set up like this easily 30,000 track miles and its just as good as new.

Easier cheaper way is using a 2.0 DOHC neon engine with the SRT4 manifold keeping it around 8psi should be let it live you will just make 200hp if tuned well. Do not let it detonate. Do not exceed 7000rpm

Old 2.2/2.5 with a big swingvalve, exhaust, +40s and more boost will get there too but I have awful luck with 2.2/2.5s

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/12 9:17 p.m.

Where are you going to put a turbo Dodge engine in a Yugo? In the back, or the front?

I have serious questions about fitting it in the front. I've got a 2.2 DOHC in my shop, and it's pretty big. The Yugo engine compartment is really limited, especially if you leave the factory brake booster in place.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/12 9:41 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Where are you going to put a turbo Dodge engine in a Yugo? In the back, or the front? I have serious questions about fitting it in the front. I've got a 2.2 DOHC in my shop, and it's pretty big. The Yugo engine compartment is really limited, especially if you leave the factory brake booster in place.

I was planning on the front.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/12 9:54 p.m.

Do you know someone who has done this?

I've seen it done in X 1/9's, but that Yugo bay is pretty tight. There's a BIG difference in dimensions of a Fiat 2.0 and a Dodge 2.0.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sK2VF8GPycs1Yu66OJaPiottUaigVqteNtbGrdrJGCJ3dJoCezYh51rgkbjy160o