Scott_H
Scott_H New Reader
1/3/09 11:20 a.m.

I am hoping for a bit of advice on which turbo to use. This is for a 2.0 liter Fiat with a target of the mid to upper 200 HP. I figure in the upper teens for boost. I don't have the budget for a ball bearing and if there is a tad of lag I'll be OK with it. An internal waste gate helps with the budget too. The car only gets a couple thousand miles a year.

I have looked at some of the OE ones which are really pretty nice. The small 16G from Mitsubishi sounds like a pretty good fit but I don't think I can rotate the compressor housing to get it pointed in the right direction.

The IHI from some of the Subarus might work as well but I also worry about the compressor position.

A T3/T4 sounds like it might be the best deal. The hard part is the market seems to be flooded with the new replacements from who knows where. Some are Chinese which I really know nothing about but my gut says to stay away.

I was hoping to get into this for a few hundred bucks but at the same time don't want to do this again.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Scott

MikeSVO
MikeSVO New Reader
1/4/09 6:33 p.m.

The T3 Super 60's used in the 2.3's Fords have served me well! In my SVO, I put down 221 whp with about 17 psi, just a tick over stock for that car. In my Pinto, well, the dyno SAID 286 whp, but I think that was a bit optimistic because the track times didn't quite line up (but there were some changes made between the track and the dyno...so who knows). That was also a Super 60 on pump gas, but at about 23 psi. I sold the car with that turbo on it, and it was still fine. It was used when I got it and I drove it at that level for more than a year.

Some info on those... The center sections of all the T3s in the turbo 2.3 Fords are the same, and they just changed the housings for different applications. The compressors are all the same size, and the only difference is the outlet of the cover. The SVO has a normal outlet that you'd put a coupler and hose clamp on, where as all the others have this 2-bolt flange. You can get an adapter that bolts to it that's a 90* elbow, or you can just make a piece or modify the cast aluminum piece that was used in the original application (they did that on the non-intercooled cars).

The turbine sides were sized differently, depending on what the application was, but it was either a .48 a/r or .63 a/r. I KNOW the SVOs had the .63 a/r turbine, which was probably because they were all manual cars. I've seen the .63 a/r housings on early Turbo Coupe motors, too, and MAYBE a manual XR4ti here and there. Not 100% sure... The numbers I posted were with the .63 a/r housings.

They all have internal wastegates from the factory, but some of them were adjustable. They're all set to about 10 psi, and they'd used the computer to control the boost beyond that. The adjustable ones can go much higher, and I always used a stock internal gate because it just worked really well! The trick to nice boost control on those is the little brass fitting screwed into the compressor housing. I can elaborate on that if you'd like, but it's something that a lot of people don't buy into, so let me know if you want more info.

You'll RARELY find one that's NOT liquid cooled. My early-build 84 SVO wasn't, and when I sent it out for a rebuilt, they just swapped the center section with a liquid cooled one and sent it back. I wish they hadn't. I've never seen another one like that.

You can clock the housings pretty easily (wrench clearence gets tight when it's in the car). It's tough to explain, but when you see it, you'll know what to do. The outlet elbow houses the 02 sensor as well as the wastegate door, so be sure to get that if you go that route. It's an abrupt-looking 90* thing, but they're all I've ever used and always worked good enough for me. There is a guy that makes an aftermarket one that's BIG though.

These things are great on the street for us, since they're pretty well matched to the engine. They say the .48 would spool up quicker than the .63, but really, it was a wash, IMO. Even with the .63 housing, it was ALWAYS there, though I had a 2' section of 3" tubing for exhaust, which might have had something to do with it. We did a lot of data logging with that motor, and we had full boost as early as 2700 RPM.

I have one in my Turbo GT right now, and I think it's smoking a little bit (as in, I don't think it's anything else). I have no idea where this one came from, or how much boost it's putting out, since I have no boost guage (this car just got thrown together recently). It also spools up slowly, and I think it's because it's got a full 2.5" pipe all the way out to the bumper, as well as not-yet sorted out boost controls.

I also put a Grand National front end on one with my friend for use in his SVO. It was a .63 turbine side with the GN backing plate, wheel and cover put in place. We didn't balance it, and we weren't too sure what would happen. But it worked OK. It WAS slower to spool, but not by much. He ran an 8.0 @ 88 in the 1/8 mile with it, though there was a 40-shot used as well. I can't remember what ever came of that thing...but it did well for a home-brewed hybrid.

That's all I know!

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
1/4/09 7:14 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the SVO T3 was just a 60 trim. The "super 60" has a bigger compressor inducer. 1.900" vs. 1.830" I don't think any car came with the super 60 wheel stock :(

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
1/4/09 9:25 p.m.

Look also again at the IHI subaru turbos, you will find that the Legacy GT 05+ is rotated in a different manner than the regular WRX (except for the new ones, those are the same way) That might help you with your rotation problems too.

Also can look at volvo turbos, but I have no idea the config on those, but should be plentiful as well.

Scott_H
Scott_H New Reader
1/4/09 9:44 p.m.
MikeSVO wrote: They all have internal wastegates from the factory, but some of them were adjustable. They're all set to about 10 psi, and they'd used the computer to control the boost beyond that. The adjustable ones can go much higher, and I always used a stock internal gate because it just worked really well! The trick to nice boost control on those is the little brass fitting screwed into the compressor housing. I can elaborate on that if you'd like, but it's something that a lot of people don't buy into, so let me know if you want more info.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the info on the T3. I am finding these are also pretty common on some Volvos.

Scott

Scott_H
Scott_H New Reader
1/4/09 9:59 p.m.
InigoMontoya wrote: Look also again at the IHI subaru turbos, you will find that the Legacy GT 05+ is rotated in a different manner than the regular WRX (except for the new ones, those are the same way) That might help you with your rotation problems too. Also can look at volvo turbos, but I have no idea the config on those, but should be plentiful as well.

I did go and look at a couple after my first post. I had originally thought they were all Mitsbishi. Did they switch to IHI in '05? Also, can the compressor housing be reclocked?

In looking at a few pictures I may be OK with the compressor orientation. When looking at the compressor, if the exhaust inlet flange in pointing straight down, the compressor needs to be in the 2-3:00 position. Looking at a few pics on Ebay seems to put it in about the correct orientation.

I can't see from the ones I have seen, but are the IHIs water cooled?

Thanks Everybody, Scott

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qH58SIwMQryR8VI9LS30TeBrOZ7DffXRfEMDxvMrZv7A1OJzVR8uMvwHn2TFaqgL