Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/10 9:49 p.m.

At about what point torque-wise can the 5-speed be expected to have its grenade pin pulled?

This question is not in relation to turbo Miatas, just the transmission. There will be no Miata involved.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/25/10 11:19 p.m.

I've seen bad things happen at around 400 whp, but the trans did have ~80,000 miles on it by then. 250 whp doesn't seem to bother it a bit.

Sorry I only have 2 data points, but I'd feel pretty comfortable up until 300 or so. YMMV.

Keith will have a good answer...

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
10/26/10 12:19 a.m.

My 1991 turbo Miata has 165k on it and I've made over 40 drag passes. Last 5 I had slicks. Its also had a turbo for about 4 year now. So far no issues with the trans.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/26/10 8:27 a.m.

We have a 250 whp Miata that's often autocrossed on R-comps, and we've already replace the transmission once after second gear fell apart.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/26/10 1:40 p.m.

Even with 275/35R15 Hoosiers, my trans seems to be pretty happy. I've got 140,000 miles on it so far, not quite 10,000 of that is under boost.

YMMV indeed!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
10/26/10 4:27 p.m.

Blown up one too many 1g RX-7 transmissions?

Knurled
10/26/10 8:18 p.m.

Yes, with only 160-odd ft-lb. Second-gen units last a little longer but they still give up the ghost after a while. I haven't actually exploded one yet, because I change them out when the bearings start to make scary noises or the shifter starts shuffling back and forth with varying load. Happy bearings make for happy gears, unhappy bearings make for walking home.

I'm looking to make that more like 200-210ft-lb, and I had a suspicion that the Miata trans was stronger because of its more moderate transfer gear ratio. Looks like I may be onto something

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/26/10 8:23 p.m.

You probably spin a 1000rpm or so more with a rotary and you are dealing with a minimum 5 year older trans. Just something to consider.

On the flip side of that, Mazda does seem to constantly improve parts even if they are seemingly similar.

Knurled
10/26/10 8:36 p.m.

I rallycross and most of the time I'm churning 3000-6000rpm. I don't rev all that high except at the dragstrip, and drag duty is rather light on transmissions in my experience. No shock loading there, no load reversals. No turning Redline Shockproof Heavy (the red stuff) into purplish-brown sludge with chunks in it after one weekend.

(shifty looks) I don't know how much I can... divulge... but I'm considering an engine swap, and it's not a rotary or DOHC engine, but it will be using a Mazda trans for simplicity. So in either case, WHP means nothing to me, just torque figures...

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/26/10 9:16 p.m.

What's the car weigh? That's a factor.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/10 10:25 a.m.

At above 250 rwhp, the transmission is at risk with serious abuse, but most people don't have a problem until you're closer to 300. Drag racing - which does throw a fair shock load through the trans at launch - seems to be a contributor, especially with sticky tires. The failure mode is ripping the teeth off the gears without any advance warning.

The 6-speeds seem to be stronger than the 5-speeds, and are a direct replacement. I don't think the gearing is as well chosen, but it's a much closer ratio box.

Knurled
10/27/10 8:26 p.m.

How much torque does a 250whp Miata engine make?

I just got done bridge porting my next (last) 13B, so I'm still just thinkin'.

Keith
10/27/10 11:21 p.m.

About the same - 250 ft-lb or so.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/28/10 1:04 a.m.
Keith wrote: At above 250 rwhp, the transmission is at risk with serious abuse, but most people don't have a problem until you're closer to 300. Drag racing - which does throw a fair shock load through the trans at launch - seems to be a contributor, especially with sticky tires. The failure mode is ripping the teeth off the gears without any advance warning. The 6-speeds seem to be stronger than the 5-speeds, and are a direct replacement. I don't think the gearing is as well chosen, but it's a much closer ratio box.

I thought the Miata you guys brought to MIS out here in Michigan for the super tuner challenge or whatnot was originally a mazdaspeed that had a 5 speed swapped in because it was stronger? I could be remembering wrong though.

Joey

Keith
10/28/10 10:42 a.m.

It had a 5-speed swapped into it because of the gearing. We needed to hit 150 mph with that car, and the combination of tires, rear end and transmission was just perfect. Plus they shift better than the 6, so you're less likely to hit the wrong gate.

That was a pretty short event, so the chances of the transmission grenading were low.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/30/10 1:01 a.m.
Keith wrote: It had a 5-speed swapped into it because of the gearing. We needed to hit 150 mph with that car, and the combination of tires, rear end and transmission was just perfect. Plus they shift better than the 6, so you're less likely to hit the wrong gate. That was a pretty short event, so the chances of the transmission grenading were low.

Ah. I guess I had my story mixed up!

Joey

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
10/30/10 6:52 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: We have a 250 whp Miata that's often autocrossed on R-comps, and we've already replace the transmission once after second gear fell apart.

I did the same thing with my friend's turbo miata. Second gear gave up while out on course

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
10/30/10 12:00 p.m.

I raced Mazda's for over 20 years. A well-built(ie ISC or similar shop) will last for many years of 8000 rpm shifts and abusive downshifts. Usually the synchros fail and parts begin to move around the trans. YMMV

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eac9JCcdy3TxootM86m0A2hXGZ9wNqakcdzZhEJGKilWPLViB1AJaGnB3w9cnhTt