GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/13 8:31 a.m.

I've heard it said many times that turbo engines shouldn't be used for any kind of desert racing...but why not?

If it's due to the general reliability hit of a more complicated engine, that's not insurmountable, just more expensive to solve.

If it's due to the increased heat...see above. Just add cooling.

If it's due to small particulate matter that can get past a traditional air filter, there are oil bath filters that will catch it.

Anyone know if there's a good reason?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/13 8:37 a.m.

I think you misspelled that.

Its Turbos and Desserts don't mix.

When the boost hits, your dessert will end up in your lap.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
11/14/13 8:43 a.m.

??? I think you're on the right track. I think it's a perceived reliability problem that's not insurmountable. Note that I'm just making an educated guess with no actual experience.

1. Dry heat:
    hotter air = less temperature differential, so less cooling for same volume of air
    dryer air = less energy to change temp
    turbo = way more heat being generated
    In general, cooling efficiency is way down.

2. Particulates: perhaps turbos are more fragile/susceptible to failure due to particulates?

3. Combo? clogged filters and spinny turbos join together to make a time bomb?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/13 9:39 a.m.
scardeal wrote: 1. Dry heat: hotter air = less temperature differential, so less cooling for same volume of air dryer air = less energy to change temp turbo = way more heat being generated In general, cooling efficiency is way down.

I would think this is the primary reasoning. Not insurmountable, but depending on what you're trying to do, something to consider. Less gains, much more heat, etc.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
11/14/13 9:50 a.m.

I think "All of the Above Combined" answers the question. There IS more complexity. There IS more heat that is harder to dissipate. There ARE more particulates to filter. There IS a greater chance of failure etc.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/14/13 10:08 a.m.

When you're building a race vehicle it's not always as simple as "ADD MORE COOLING"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/14/13 10:14 a.m.

Except the diesels that have done well in rally raid racing in the past decade or so have all been turbo. The big trucks for longer than that. I don't think turbos have an inherent reliability problem, but perhaps turbos on gas engines are an issue.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
11/14/13 10:16 a.m.

Again, speaking out of foggy remembrances, but don't gas turbo engines produce a lot more heat than diesel turbos?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/14/13 11:33 a.m.

Don't show this thread to the guys down in AZ running around with turbo sand buggies.....they will laugh at you.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
11/14/13 11:44 a.m.

Does Bonneville count as desert racing?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/14/13 11:45 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Yes, because it is a desert.

GameboyRMH
11/14/13 11:55 a.m.

I was thinking more off-road stuff, including diesel.

Landspeeders usually run on salt, not the same thing (especially since they don't have to worry about anyone else's dust clouds). They usually run conventional filter setups but some run no filter at all.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/14/13 11:56 a.m.

"I've heard it said many times that turbo engines shouldn't be used for any kind of desert racing..." This sounds like one of those old rules of thumb that should be ignored out of principle. Turbochargers and anything like this has pretty much changed entirely over the last decade or more, yes?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/14/13 11:57 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

The turbo buggy guys that play on the sand dunes don't seem to have issues.....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/13 1:44 p.m.

"buggy in sand dunes" = WOT for a few seconds at a time

"any kind of desert racing" = pretty broad description, difficult to answer

but for something like the BAJA 1000 i probably wouldn't turbocharge an air-cooled engine (that is but of countless scenarios covered by "any kind of desert racing")

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/13 2:14 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: The turbo buggy guys that play on the sand dunes don't seem to have issues.....

They rarely see WOT for more than a few seconds and many have open body work allowing better cooling.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
11/14/13 3:41 p.m.

Desert, yes. Turbo, yes. Full body work. Yes. Dust clouds, yes. Lots of WOT, yes.

I don't see a problem here.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/13 4:16 p.m.

I was told it was for two reasons: (years ago watching a baja race on TV)

1) particulates. Filters aren't perfect, so the additional dust can dramatically shorten the life of a turbo.

2) desert racing usually uses highly variable throttle positions. Its not like drag racing or nascar where you have the throttle open for a long time. The amount of time you're off the throttle or applying the throttle (waiting for boost to build) isn't a situation where turbos shine. You can tune a turbo to have very little lag, but the fact is that lag will always exist.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/14/13 5:09 p.m.

I can certainly see throttle response being an issue along with complexity. Desert racing is usually remote (so you really don't want a break-down) and bumpy (so things are going to fatigue or vibrate loose on a complex system) and don't have many drivetrain rules/limitations. If you aren't limited to a small engine, why put up with the complex/fragile system needed to get high power and good throttle response; just toss in a big V8.

I don't buy the particulate argument at all. A turbo 2.0L making 400 whp and an NA 6.0L V8 making 400 whp ingest the same amount of air and can do it through the same size/type/location intake tract and filter. Why does the turbo change anything? I don't think the compressor and turbine themselves are going to be significantly degraded by any small particles that make it through a filter during the course of the race.

So yeah, I'd say it's a complexity/reliability issue mostly (probably cost too). If your rules don't limit you, I would think a big NA engine is a far better choice than a small turbo engine for the application.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/14/13 5:10 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

And yeah, WRC has done this without huge issues, but they do it because of the rules.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/13 5:21 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I think you misspelled that. Its Turbos and Desserts don't mix.

I once had a cupcake sucked into the inlet of my friend's Grand National.

GameboyRMH
11/14/13 5:25 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Desert, yes. Turbo, yes. Full body work. Yes. Dust clouds, yes. Lots of WOT, yes. I don't see a problem here.

To be fair...fully rebuilt after each event, yes.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
11/14/13 5:30 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH: As are nearly all top tier race vehicles that aren't prohibited from doing so by cost restraint rules. Including, I'd imagine all the top running Baja trophy trucks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AIOe8jH07DVeCz0wKHuXYIGJ0gOTRGmYADStZQ01gVndvvU3Xo3GCC4PGnpbrcYG