1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/22/20 8:00 p.m.
feature_image

For those of you who missed the forum post: How about a kit to create a 1930s grand prix racer from a Mazda Miata donor car? No, it's not April Fools. Yes, you should build one. (Thanks, Keith, for the tip.)

Read the rest of the story

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
12/22/20 8:55 p.m.

The want is hard

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
12/22/20 9:48 p.m.

I wonder what it would take to make this car compliant  with SCCA rules?

I would be willing to sell a few of my toys to pay for this and clear up some shop space.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
12/22/20 10:02 p.m.

That's awesome!!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/22/20 10:04 p.m.

I totally want one....sign me up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/20 10:47 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

I wonder what it would take to make this car compliant  with SCCA rules?

I would be willing to sell a few of my toys to pay for this and clear up some shop space.

I know Ant really wants to get a series going for them. SCCA regs vary by class, but the roll bar is built to MSA requirements. 

I think they're surprisingly big. As wide as a Miata but with that long boat tail. 

RevolverRob
RevolverRob New Reader
12/22/20 11:39 p.m.

Now...can I fit a K-series in there with a KMiata gearbox adapter? 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/23/20 12:08 a.m.

Speechless. What a thing.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/23/20 6:17 a.m.

Lose the fake exhaust tubes and the cat and I am on board.

Underhood pics?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
12/23/20 6:47 a.m.

£7500 doesn't even seem that bad!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/23/20 7:10 a.m.

Dang. I love that

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
12/23/20 8:20 a.m.

Image may contain: text that says '* I NEED IT'

Keith Tanner
12/23/20 8:27 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Lose the fake exhaust tubes and the cat and I am on board.

Underhood pics?

Lots of comments about the fake exhaust tubes on Facebook too. Thing is, this isn't a generic 1930's monoposto. It's intended to look as much as possible like the very successful Alfa 158 - I believe Alfa is on board with this. And since the 158 was not some Offy-powered sprint car, it's just not right for it to only have four exhaust pipes. Think of it as cosplay.

I have some underhood pics but I need to get permission to share them. Ant isn't keen on too many pics of the grey prototype getting out there because it's well, a prototype. The red kit is being assembled shortly and I've mentioned interest in a bunch of pics of the various extra parts that are available.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
12/23/20 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

It should be good to go in some Time Attack class, right?

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/23/20 10:14 a.m.

The  build series is on MT on Demand: "Ant Anstead :Master Mechanic".  It's not as technical as I'd like it to be, but it still is worth a watch.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/20 10:19 a.m.

The exhaust thing is a bit disappointing.

But that's just an excuse to put an actual straight-8 under that bonnet.

Keith Tanner
12/23/20 10:30 a.m.

The exhaust is a Rorchach test of sorts, it helps you clarify what you see when you look at the car. Is it an Alfa 158 that you can own without being a multimillionaire? Then it's part of the cosplay. Is it some sort of track weapon with the wrong tires? Then it is offensive posing. All depends on what you're looking for.

I'll admit I went looking for straight 8s as well. That is one dead engine layout, there's nothing since the 159 was actually a viable race car.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/23/20 10:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The exhaust is a Rorchach test of sorts, it helps you clarify what you see when you look at the car. Is it an Alfa 158 that you can own without being a multimillionaire? Then it's part of the cosplay. Is it some sort of track weapon with the wrong tires? Then it is offensive posing. All depends on what you're looking for.

I'll admit I went looking for straight 8s as well. That is one dead engine layout, there's nothing since the 159 was actually a viable race car.

I think you use a jag I6 and use an inline six header and it is a nod to the original without posing.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/23/20 10:45 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Keith Tanner said:

I think you use a jag I6 and use an inline six header and it is a nod to the original without posing.

Or weld two I4s together, which actually wouldn't be that bad.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/20 10:48 a.m.
tuna55 said:
tuna55 said:
Keith Tanner said:

It was a 1.5L inline 8 right? use 2 GSXR750's?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/20 10:59 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
tuna55 said:
tuna55 said:
Keith Tanner said:

It was a 1.5L inline 8 right? use 2 GSXR750's?

Dear god in heaven.  A straight 8 that spins to 13,000 rpms.  

See the source image

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/23/20 11:07 a.m.

Way cool - I watched the whole build series on Ant's car, to see it available as a kit is great.  Who is going to be first to build one (at 75, it won't be me.  If I was 40,though . . .)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

They'd very nearly bolt together from the factory. Remove the starter and starter clutch from one side and the stator/generator/housing from the other. Then you just need an adapter plate between the two cases and a collar to connect the cranks.

Buy 00-03 SUZUKI GSXR750 ENGINE motor block transmission GSXR 750 GSX-R 20k  mi 750cc motorcycle in Duncan, South Carolina, US, for US $799.00

Keith Tanner
12/23/20 12:01 p.m.

Pricing not yet released but here are thumbnails of the other parts required to complete. You can source your own or buy the sub kit.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/23/20 12:05 p.m.

Mega!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RymIdhMEr3vVFqItrLftBwsNUqLXArPnTYQ7k2gaMzGsqOyP9bbEtDf57NVcQ3aY