NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 10:01 a.m.

So, this guy installed two single-turbocharged Probe Vs with the 5-speed manual transmissions in an MX-5. The manual trans bit is interesting, because his shifter setup is wild and most homebrewed twin-engine cars I've seen use either one or both engines with automatics to let the torque converter take up differences on engine speed. I also like, as Ron points out that the guy's logic of "I got tired of wheelspin, so I point an engine out back" instead of putting on slicks is hilarious. Can honestly say I never thought I'd see an MX-3 doing 4_wheel drifts.

Jump to about 3:00 if you want to skip the guys goofing around and an ad and get down to the overview. 

Oh, and I'll say "I hate Hoonigans/drifting/burnouts/people having fun" so that its out there an no one else has to.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/19 11:02 a.m.

 Brilliant!

NickD said:

I also like, as Ron points out that the guy's logic of "I got tired of wheelspin, so I point an engine out back" instead of putting on slicks is hilarious.

This is basically the logic behind all the dual-powertrain EVs that are coming out now, it works!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/23/19 11:15 a.m.

I'm not crazy about Hoonigan videos but that one had me howling pretty much the entire time. 

_
_ HalfDork
8/23/19 11:42 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Minor correction, but I think you meant “an mx3 doing 4 wheel donuts.”  I know what you meant though. 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
8/23/19 12:02 p.m.

That is utterly nuts in a good way 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 12:04 p.m.

It's too bad the MX-3 never got much love, as it is basically Mazda's version of the CRX. The styling even looks like a more futuristic CRX. And I seem to recall that stock-for-stock, the MX-3 performance numbers were on par or even slightly better than some of the iconic FWD cars.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/23/19 2:15 p.m.

An MX3 with a drop-in 2.5L KL pretty much destroys the performance stats of any stock FWD anything of its time or previous. Some turbo stuff might be on par. Maybe. It does require an engine 'swap' but it's a straightforward one that would still be easier than just the header installs on some RWD cars, or a turbo install on some other FWDs. 

I like the way the NX looked too but the MX3 is probably the best looking fwd hatchback of the 90s that i can think of. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/23/19 2:26 p.m.
Vigo said:

An MX3 with a drop-in 2.5L KL pretty much destroys the performance stats of any stock FWD anything of its time or previous. Some turbo stuff might be on par. Maybe. It does require an engine 'swap' but it's a straightforward one that would still be easier than just the header installs on some RWD cars, or a turbo install on some other FWDs. 

I like the way the NX looked too but the MX3 is probably the best looking fwd hatchback of the 90s that i can think of. 

I have visions of a gutted, KL-ZE-swapped MX-3 with radiused fenders and big Hoosiers. I'm not sure if it would be crazy competitive in SMF, but it sure would be fun. And a nice change from the usual SMF Honda fare.

Also, yeah, Nissan NX's are cool-looking little cars too

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/23/19 3:05 p.m.

Is he here on this board? If not, somone needs to invite him. 

_
_ HalfDork
8/23/19 5:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Is he here on this board? If not, somone needs to invite him. 

He said he lives in an igloo and drinks maple syrup, so he may not have Internet. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/19 12:34 a.m.

I can’t get over his shifter setup. Such a cool car!

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/19 6:32 a.m.

Ive always wanted a 1.8 v6 mx3.  Also Ive always wantes to 1.8 v6 swap a miata...because Im bent like that

Our Preferred Partners
nCdcH9ru9dB77iAd4oHiFJ8dQxdrfXfybdxSnnzpScbx8hpWhhb6cQoNJeaLwaMW